Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 AM

2,988 posts, read 1,178,767 times

Advertisements

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/...Zj0VtJQmMssZwY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM

32,832 posts, read 19,549,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There is a ton of research out there that would dispute what you say. It's getting worse whether people want to admit that or not.
uhm…

in an interglacial period..the temps get warmer globally...the weather (ie storms) will be more intense due to warmer air and sea temps, and as the glaciers melt..the sea level will rise....

it is a natural, and it has happened nearly 2 dozen times

the last major glacial (ice age) period peaked about 16,000 years ago...we have been warming since....and just like the last 8 interglacial periods we will peak about 72'f- 75'f GLOBAL AVERAGE... then it will turn colder.... there is not one thing can man do, to stop this...sorry to bust your egotistical bubble, but man is insignificant compared to mother earth

Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM

856 posts, read 707,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Anyone else watching?

It will be welcomed to have a debate on climate change by adults.

I would hope that this thread is focused on climate change and the candidates' solutions and positions.

There is not much that can be done before this thread is infested with denier inanities and junk science.

The science is settled on climate change.

This thread is about solutions and the Democratic candidates positions.
I believe that climate change is real and that human activity is a contributing factor. We know that sea levels are up 8 inches since the 19th century and that 37% of that has occurred since 1980. We know that emissions from industrial production are up 45% since the 19th century. These are undeniable facts.

As far as solutions, most of the Democrats running for President offer programs with, to my knowledge, no input from the private sector other than alternative energy producers. They have a fundamental belief that the federal government should be the primary driver of confronting this challenge. While I believe that it is appropriate for the federal government to enforce the Clean Air and Water Act, consumers and industry are best positioned to confront the challenge of climate change.

Why do I say this? I say it because it's happening already. Consumers demanded more fuel efficient cars during the oil crisis of the 1970s, and since then we have seen companies invest in more fuel efficient cars, as well as hybrid vehicles and electric cars. Additionally, more homes are being heated using natural gas as opposed to coal and petroleum. Natural gas emits half the CO2 as petroleum.

To be clear, while our enviornment is cleaner today than it was 30 years ago, more can and should be done. I think states and local jurisdictions should build more natural gas pipelines. The government should stop subsidizing solar in order to stop creating distortions and thus higher prices in that market. And the government should end farm subsidies in hopes of some traditional farmers investing in vertical farming, which takes up less land, uses 90% less water than traditional farming, and doesn't require the use of pesticides.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:27 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,192,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
climate change has been here for 4 billion years

Correct. Natural climate change occurs very slowly. Human-caused climate change is very rapid by comparison. In fact, the Earth's climate has never changed so quickly as it is now.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:40 PM

25,452 posts, read 9,868,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm…

in an interglacial period..the temps get warmer globally...the weather (ie storms) will be more intense due to warmer air and sea temps, and as the glaciers melt..the sea level will rise....

it is a natural, and it has happened nearly 2 dozen times

the last major glacial (ice age) period peaked about 16,000 years ago...we have been warming since....and just like the last 8 interglacial periods we will peak about 72'f- 75'f GLOBAL AVERAGE... then it will turn colder.... there is not one thing can man do, to stop this...sorry to bust your egotistical bubble, but man is insignificant compared to mother earth
I never said man could do anything about climate change. Not one post of mine will you see where I assert that we can. I've known for a long time that we are on this downward trajectory. I wholeheartedly agree that man is very insignificant compared to mother earth. We think we are so high and mighty, but we are no more important than any other living thing on this planet.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:47 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,136,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Correct. Natural climate change occurs very slowly. Human-caused climate change is very rapid by comparison. In fact, the Earth's climate has never changed so quickly as it is now.
That should be stickied since they keep repeating that same argument..

Old 09-05-2019, 12:48 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,470,757 times
Quote:
I never said man could do anything about climate change. Not one post of mine will you see where I assert that we can. I've known for a long time that we are on this downward trajectory. I wholeheartedly agree that man is very insignificant compared to mother earth. We think we are so high and mighty, but we are no more important than any other living thing on this planet.
Hey! I agree with you on something! I knew we would find common ground somewhere along the line!

Old 09-05-2019, 01:06 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,192,640 times
Quote:
I never said man could do anything about climate change. Not one post of mine will you see where I assert that we can.

Reversing climate change is feasible and possible. The problem is not technical, it is social. Reversing climate change will require unprecedented global cooperation of all nations and a very large investment in infrastructure to do it. Unfortunately it'll probably take millions of deaths and major coastal cities underwater before humans finally agree to take action.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,470,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Reversing climate change is feasible and possible. The problem is not technical, it is social. Reversing climate change will require unprecedented global cooperation of all nations and a very large investment in infrastructure to do it. Unfortunately it'll probably take millions of deaths and major coastal cities underwater before humans finally agree to take action.
Depopulation is the key to it all.

VHEMT

Old 09-05-2019, 01:41 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Random pole? What the hell is that?

What you provided....pole or poll...it's still what you provided....are you a spelling nazi now...oh oh oh .....I love that game....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies