Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 01:44 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times

Advertisements

Good to see more pushback against the denialist movement and more serious discussion of the climate crisis in the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 01:44 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I won't be watching. I have an open mind, and I know that climate change is not "settled" science at all. And all of the Dim candidates lost me when they all raised their hands to provide illegal aliens with free health care. I have to pay for mine.
So much for having an open mind ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The climate changes 4 time a year, year in and year out. Been doing so for BILLIONS of years. Do you think you can change it?
Still don't know the difference between weather and climate, do ya? LMAO ...

Old 09-05-2019, 01:46 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Reversing climate change is feasible and possible. The problem is not technical, it is social. Reversing climate change will require unprecedented global cooperation of all nations and a very large investment in infrastructure to do it. Unfortunately it'll probably take millions of deaths and major coastal cities underwater before humans finally agree to take action.
Trump also reversed light bulb regulations today after he claimed to be an environmentalist. Electric bills will go up because led lights use 80% less electricity. Whenever he says or does something to make us laugh, I know some change is coming.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:51 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Trump also reversed light bulb regulations today after he claimed to be an environmentalist. Electric bills will go up because led lights use 80% less electricity. Whenever he says or does something to make us laugh, I know some change is coming.

My electric bill continues to go up.....long before obama started that stupid idea.....

Old 09-05-2019, 02:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
OMG. A couple of big hurricanes devastated a few tiny islands. Who would ever have thought that was possible?
Houston is not an island even if you take the sharpie out and try to make it one.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:33 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I see the oil- and gas industry apologists have invaded this thread.
All of them using the FLICC method of pushing their crackpot denier agenda:

F: Fake Experts
L: Logical Fallacies
I: Ignorant Arguments
C: Cherry Picking
C: Conspiracy Theories

Climate change is here, it's real, it's causing billions in property damage and it's killing people. Fact.
They're desperate.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:46 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm…

in an interglacial period..the temps get warmer globally...the weather (ie storms) will be more intense due to warmer air and sea temps, and as the glaciers melt..the sea level will rise....

it is a natural, and it has happened nearly 2 dozen times

the last major glacial (ice age) period peaked about 16,000 years ago...we have been warming since....and just like the last 8 interglacial periods we will peak about 72'f- 75'f GLOBAL AVERAGE... then it will turn colder.... there is not one thing can man do, to stop this...sorry to bust your egotistical bubble, but man is insignificant compared to mother earth
If micro- organisms can supply the bulk of earth's oxygen why do you think billions of humans are insignificant? The earth was cooling for 5,000 years, then humans began burning fossil fuels and the cooling turned into warming.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ove-it/273870/

Last edited by sanspeur; 09-05-2019 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-05-2019, 03:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Since the OP opened the door, allow me: Contrary to what the OP thinks, there's nothing to solve.

Unfortunately, those who think that Earth, here for billions of years, is on its way out, much less because of us, are products of academia
pumping out climate alarmists (including the El Paso and Dayton shooters), by the class-load.

We were even treated to six- and seven-year-olds (tomorrow's alarmists) crying and sniveling over a hurricane, on a local newscast.

And despite Kamala Harris embarrassing herself with a 30 minute diatribe on straws, and others proposing "New Green Deal" means of controlling us and picking our pockets, the fact remains that that there have always been and will always be ecologic ages.

Democratic hopefuls need to get out of the clown car, and educate themselves.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:10 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Go ahead and admit it. No one here really did even watch the disaster on CNN.

The ratings were in the crapper.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnns-m...fox-news-msnbc

Quote:
The heavily promoted, seven-hour event ran from 5 p.m. EST until midnight and featured 10 Democratic presidential hopefuls discussing their plans to combat climate change. CNN averaged 1.1 million viewers during the event, compared to 1.7 million for liberal rival MSNBC while Fox News averaged 2.5 million viewers over the same time period with regular programming.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
There is not much that can be done before this thread is infested with denier inanities and junk science.

The science is settled on climate change.
Which part of this is junk science?

Prove beyond any reasonable doubt that what you say will prevent this:

Our pollen-based climatic reconstruction suggests a mean temperature of the warmest month (MTWA) range of 9–14.5 °C during the warmest interval of the last interglacial. The reconstruction from plant macrofossils, representing more local environments, reached MTWA values above 12.5 °C in contrast to today's 2.8 °C.

https://people.ucsc.edu/~acr/migrate...0al%202008.pdf

Just to make sure we're clear on the concept, 12.5°C is 22.5°F warmer than present temperatures.

From applications of both correspondence analysis regression and best modern analogue methodologies, we infer July air temperatures of the last interglacial to have been 4 to 5 °C warmer than present on eastern Baffin Island, which was warmer than any interval within the Holocene.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Arctic_Canada

Again, to make sure we're clear on the concept, 4.0°C - 5.0°C is 7.2°F - 9.0°F.

Palaeo data suggest that Greenland must have been largely ice free during Marine Isotope Stage 11 (MIS-11). The globally averaged MIS-11 sea level is estimated to have reached between 6–13 m above that of today.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16008

“Even though the warm Eemian period was a period when the oceans were four to eight meters higher than today, the ice sheet in northwest Greenland was only a few hundred meters lower than the current level, which indicates that the contribution from the Greenland ice sheet was less than half the total sea-level rise during that period,” says Dorthe Dahl-Jensen, Professor at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, and leader of the NEEM-project.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/n...e-of-the-past/

Are you willing to bet your life that sea levels won't increase 3 meters to 14 meters if we yield to your to your brand of terrorism?

Because, if you're not willing to bet your life, then the science isn't settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies