Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 01:10 PM

814 posts, read 670,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

I personally hate our foriegn policy and economic system.

After this next recession/depression and consolidation we could very well see a bigger push to go back to states rights. I don't see our govt being able to prop up this system for much longer, unless of course we delay that process and start a world war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 01:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
THIS!!! And I think because we live in a better country , many forget that other countries don't play the rules.

As for sanctions, inevitably it is the citizens of these countries that suffer -- not the govt.

Cuba is a good example. The USA sanctions have done little to prod the Cuban govt. to treat its citizens better. And the USA sanctions make life for Cuban citizens less tolerable.....so who wins?

At this point if we are hanging out with Kim Jung Un begging to make a deal, why can't we do the same with Cuba. WHy are we still punishing Cuba for the Bay of Pigs, but wanting to invite Russia to the G7, be besties with North Korea? It is all too confusing at times.
It's almost comical at this stage.

Your Cuba question is just another of the stupid 'make it up as we go along' idiocy of American foreign policy as it currently exists.

Ludicrous in the extreme is Trump courting a guy who makes no secret he's racing to develop nukes and a long range missile delivery system. Trump's stated mission is to get him to agree with some kind of treaty to stop this process. Trump; although giving Lil Kim all sorts of desired media exposure has nothing to show for his public butt kissing.

Then we have Iran, a country once on the same path as N. Korea but one that agreed to a treaty to not pursue weapons grade enrichment of nuclear material, and by all accounts a treaty they were adhering to but one that Trump rips up and unilaterally abdicates from to which the Iranian response is one of renewing their endeavours to develop nuke weapons. .

What's wrong with this picture? Furthermore; what's wrong with all who, if not endorsing Trump's stupidity with this nonsense, they simply allow him to continue down this idiotic path?

Old 09-08-2019, 01:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Trump has lost every single "deal" he attempted.....although I really shouldn't use the word attempted since he really didn't so anything toward the goal of winning.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:48 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
After this next recession/depression and consolidation we could very well see a bigger push to go back to states rights. I don't see our govt being able to prop up this system for much longer, unless of course we delay that process and start a world war.
It will never happen unless another country surpasses America. Losing our superpower status would be the best thing to happen to this country.

Sadly I don't see any competition. Iran is an incredibly weak state, so is Russia. And China is overrated. The problem is none of them have the soft power of the US. Where the former three are mainly state powers, America uses entertainment, consumption, and 'democracy' (a game of bribery) to buy power.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 PM

18,812 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Sounds nice from a philosophical standpoint. But moving forward and with forever more needs for modern money, states will be less important since they cannot create USD's. For example our future healthcare will require huge amounts of new money. States will have to rely on the Feds, as today with the Medicaids.

The USA still sits up high and flush with resources, and there is no need for War.

IMO if we have medium term war, it would be from the world crimping off China's agri imports.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:47 PM

814 posts, read 670,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
It will never happen unless another country surpasses America. Losing our superpower status would be the best thing to happen to this country.

Sadly I don't see any competition. Iran is an incredibly weak state, so is Russia. And China is overrated. The problem is none of them have the soft power of the US. Where the former three are mainly state powers, America uses entertainment, consumption, and 'democracy' (a game of bribery) to buy power.
Yes but combined these are what make up World Wars no?

I don't believe it's that easy to dethrone the dollar but when there's enough incentive and we don't have buyers for treasury bonds and negative interest rates set in we will bleed.. most likely the last to bleed out but last just may not be considered a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Sounds nice from a philosophical standpoint. But moving forward and with forever more needs for modern money, states will be less important since they cannot create USD's. For example our future healthcare will require huge amounts of new money. States will have to rely on the Feds, as today with the Medicaids.

The USA still sits up high and flush with resources, and there is no need for War.

IMO if we have medium term war, it would be from the world crimping off China's agri imports.

There will undoubtedly be more reliance on the fed but just like in '08 we will see lots of programs go unfunded. And now with even more debt created by Trump and his hopeless wall, loss of agriculture, tariffs affecting commerce, siphoning of Amazon in the retail sector, we won't have near the taxable base to fund the country.

I agree there's no need for war but the hard right would love to start producing war toys to create contracts and fuel the economy. Every good downturn likes a war right? It's hard to fit "medium" in the same sentence with China,Russia,and Iran.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM
nng

695 posts, read 289,824 times
Was watching Steve bannon talk on YouTube about the china trade war and China's ambition to be a world power hegemony in Asia . I read in the comment section of the video that TPP would have killed one belt one road. Maybe these tariff wars with china is like shooting ourselves in the foot. We are having to bail out the farmers, next up china will ban the importation of American cars, because those American car companies sell more cars to china then anywhere else. I don't think trump is as smart a person as he thinks he is. Now trump is hinting at starting a real war with Iran. ********** a$$hole trump.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Was watching Steve bannon talk on YouTube about the china trade war and China's ambition to be a world power hegemony in Asia . I read in the comment section of the video that TPP would have killed one belt one road. Maybe these tariff wars with china is like shooting ourselves in the foot. We are having to bail out the farmers, next up china will ban the importation of American cars, because those American car companies sell more cars to china then anywhere else. I don't think trump is as smart a person as he thinks he is. Now trump is hinting at starting a real war with Iran. ********** a$$hole trump.
Of course you have it right. Trump is shooting US in the foot. This is what he has done for his entire life.

He sold his biggest investment (the Taj) for 5 cents on the dollar.

No one should think that we are nearly done feeling the hurt. This stuff is like a snake bite - it doesn't come on until later.

I pity the next POTUS. It will take decades to dig out.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:32 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

At this point if we are hanging out with Kim Jung Un begging to make a deal, why can't we do the same with Cuba. WHy are we still punishing Cuba for the Bay of Pigs, but wanting to invite Russia to the G7, be besties with North Korea? It is all too confusing at times.
All good points, which I am glad you mentioned.

And we are picking fights with Iran, who for a year or more stuck by an international agreement we backed out of. They honored their end of the bargain and we didn't.

The way we pick enemies and friends is bewildering.

North Korea is IN, Cuba is always OUT. Iran honors it's agreements with every major country in the world and we become hostile and break off from it, while Russia assaults our democracy, murders people all over the world, and gets sweetheart invitations from us like an old lover.

There is some kind of crazy going on around here.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:35 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,761,232 times
China openly violates US oil sanctions and still buys oil from Iran in large quantities, and frankly doesn’t care what the US thinks. China will invest $400 billion into Iran. They are doing imperialistic things in Africa and the Caribbean already. Getting into west Asia with Iran will be great for them. Trump is not going about this correctly at all. He actually thinks he can beat China! China, India and Russia will be the future economic powerhouses.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/09/05...-game-in-iran/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies