Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I have zero reason to shop there. Food for less cheaper food. Costco cheaper everything. Big 5 has much cheaper sports gear, ammo and firearms. WM used to have cheaper beer but not anymore. There is one out east that had cheap camo but after the drive it is still cheaper at Big 5. Heck everything is cheaper online.

That is great! You can openly carry your firearm over your shoulder while you shop online at your home! Win - win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That is great! You can openly carry your firearm over your shoulder while you shop online at your home! Win - win.
Looks like so. Look at this stupidity.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...fect-this-week

Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think Walmart feared being sued so there action was a risk reduction for them. I don't have a problem with it, I can make my own ammo if I need to.
They will get sued anyway. They are already being sued for some of the shootings.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Looks like so. Look at this stupidity.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...fect-this-week
No worries because your weapons only need to be locked up "
Quote:
unless they are being carried by or are under control of the owner."
You can still cradle your bazooka while shopping on Amazon.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
CEOs are starting to come out in mass to support more gun control. You can't gerrymander national public opinion and regardless of GOP controlling 2/3rds of federal govt the general public (consumers) are much further left on gun control than the GOP is.
Corporate America has always been supportive of gun control. I would say it has more to do however with the fact they're probably afraid of the masses eventually getting sick of them, sick of the wealth inequality, sick of the poor treatment at jobs, sick of low wages, etc.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:11 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They will get sued anyway. They are already being sued for some of the shootings.
Then they will be reducing lawsuits against them in the future. I think this is a business decision and I'm fine with it. Judging by those that typically can be seen at Walmart, the most dangerous activity they engage in every day is at the kitchen table.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker...l-town-america

This is an interesting opinion piece written by Tucker Carlson where he mentions how the liberals used to really hate Walmart over minimum wage, health insurance, union issues, small businesses, etc. But now while Walmart is still very capitalist and I guess "conservative" fiscally, its become a very socially liberal company. First was the decision to stop selling handguns in the past, then the decision to take Confederate flag items off their online inventory, and how they're going to stop selling ammo altogether AND tell gun owners that they aren't welcome in their stores, even in states with legal open carry, even though the 2nd amendment protects our right to bear arms.

Some say that Walmart is giving in to liberal pressure from the likes of David Hogg. Others say Walmart is trying to attract a more liberal customer base, including blacks (many of whom are brainwashed into being Democrats) and Hispanics and aside from racial issues are also liberal in order to show loyalty to the Democrat Party. But by doing so is Walmart abandoning its "base" in rural, suburban and working class America?

I personally will be honest and say that I don't think I'll be able to totally boycott Walmart, but I WILL try to spend less money there. I didn't actually go to Walmart for over 2 months when they decided to remove the Confederate flag which I DO NOT consider a symbol of slavery or Jim Crow but a symbol of Southern pride, and I'm a native Southerner living on my native soil. But now I think their stance on guns is openly liberal Democrat, given that gun ownership is a sacred American right that our Constitution protects, yet they are sending a message that they're anti-gun, that gun ownership and buying ammo is something beyond the pale.

Obviously there are liberals who say that Walmart is simply being politically neutral, that their previous gun and ammo sales meant they sided with the conservative side. (Same with stuff like Delta Airlines and Enterprise car rentals making known NRA members ineligibile for discounts or frequent flyer miles.) Is this REALLY a smart move for Walmart? Do they think that those of us in rural and suburban America have few other options and HAVE to go to Walmart while their liberalism might attract more urban consumers? Or will they lose their base while yuppies and hipsters will always be too good for Walmart?
LOL - nice racism on the bold - us blacks can't do anything with our minds huh...

I own stock of Walmart and am glad they are doing all the changes you mention. Only thing I don't like about them is lines and I can order online now and go pick it up without having to wait in line.

Personally I don't care what "liberals" think of Walmart, nor persons like you. People always trying to "boycott" businesses over political disputes is silly to me. I can understand a personal boycott (I personally am boycotting Lowes and Hobby Lobby) but I honestly don't care if other people shop there and I especially won't generalize those that do as being mindless drones based on their race.

FWIW of many posters here, you seem rather brainwashed by media and conservative influence. Most conservatives aren't as heavily invested in generalizations as you seem to be, especially not on racial generalizations to think that "many" black people are brainwashed by liberals. That's kind of crazy to believe and doesn't display the deployment of critical thinking skills in your regard.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:27 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker...l-town-america

This is an interesting opinion piece written by Tucker Carlson where he mentions how the liberals used to really hate Walmart over minimum wage, health insurance, union issues, small businesses, etc. But now while Walmart is still very capitalist and I guess "conservative" fiscally, its become a very socially liberal company. First was the decision to stop selling handguns in the past, then the decision to take Confederate flag items off their online inventory, and how they're going to stop selling ammo altogether AND tell gun owners that they aren't welcome in their stores, even in states with legal open carry, even though the 2nd amendment protects our right to bear arms.

Some say that Walmart is giving in to liberal pressure from the likes of David Hogg. Others say Walmart is trying to attract a more liberal customer base, including blacks (many of whom are brainwashed into being Democrats) and Hispanics and aside from racial issues are also liberal in order to show loyalty to the Democrat Party. But by doing so is Walmart abandoning its "base" in rural, suburban and working class America?

I personally will be honest and say that I don't think I'll be able to totally boycott Walmart, but I WILL try to spend less money there. I didn't actually go to Walmart for over 2 months when they decided to remove the Confederate flag which I DO NOT consider a symbol of slavery or Jim Crow but a symbol of Southern pride, and I'm a native Southerner living on my native soil. But now I think their stance on guns is openly liberal Democrat, given that gun ownership is a sacred American right that our Constitution protects, yet they are sending a message that they're anti-gun, that gun ownership and buying ammo is something beyond the pale.

Obviously there are liberals who say that Walmart is simply being politically neutral, that their previous gun and ammo sales meant they sided with the conservative side. (Same with stuff like Delta Airlines and Enterprise car rentals making known NRA members ineligibile for discounts or frequent flyer miles.) Is this REALLY a smart move for Walmart? Do they think that those of us in rural and suburban America have few other options and HAVE to go to Walmart while their liberalism might attract more urban consumers? Or will they lose their base while yuppies and hipsters will always be too good for Walmart?
They never liked you or the "base". They merely want your money.

And I think you may have to get used to the fact that the '"base" in rural, suburban and working class America' is increasingly about to look askance at gun-wankery. Walmart are utterly bereft of morals, but they're not dumb. They've done the math. They see where the wind is blowing from.

Capitalism is throwing firearms activism on the refuse pile, and that's actually mildly entertaining in a black-humor sort of way.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
I think the ammo thing is dumb of WM, but whatever we'll get it somewhere else.
Mal-wart was, and probably still is a major contributor of "campaign contributions" designed to keep the tables tilted their way regarding our lopsided trade issues with China as MW is of course one of the largest importers/sellers of Chinese goods.
I remember moving into my first home in 2001 and going to our fairly new Walmart for some totes, deck furniture, an air pop popcorn machine, and other housewares I needed that I simply didn't have. ALL OF IT broke within 6 months.
I don't think it's wise for a business to take a political stance, as you're going to alienate yourself from some amount of customers on one side or another and further widen the growing political divide in the US.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:33 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Poor people have to shop somewhere, hence we have Wal Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies