Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 04:51 AM

10,260 posts, read 6,354,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Erm, I think the poster you responded to is in her 70's.

Immune-mediated microglia dysregulation leading to dysfunctional synaptic pruning in the developing brain; results in Autism.

Immune-mediated microglia dysregulation leading to dysfunctional synaptic pruning in the aging brain; results in Alzheimer's.

But yes, vaccines ARE immune-mediating.

Sigh ...

Personal autonomy & medical choice is unrelated to public safety & consumer issues.
Yes, I am turning 71. Are the newborns parents getting their pertussis vaccine? ALL pregnant women get that vaccination? Sorry, you cannot see your own child without your vaccinations? My daughter and her wife didn't get their own, why would they demand we do?

Some 30/40 years ago all visitors (Dads too) around newborns, not just NICU, had to suit up as if they were performing surgery. Go back to doing that if hospitals, rather nurses, are so concerned about visitors vaccinations.

Putting a seat belt on your body is not quite the same thing as putting a vaccine INSIDE your body. Autism at my age????? More likely Alzheimers.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:12 AM

10,260 posts, read 6,354,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I know. You missed the point. Why does she refuse a vaccine that protects unvaccinated infants against whooping cough and then go in a neonatal intensive care unit? That is absolutely irresponsible. Does she think she will catch autism from Tdap?

Of course you know more than all of the physicians and vaccine researchers in the world.

Why has this information not made headlines six inches high?

Vaccines stimulate the immune system the same way the diseases they prevent do. However, the diseases themselves are much harsher on the immune system. That is why people die from them, and otherwise healthy people can and do die from them.

Measles produces immune system damage that lasts two to three years, increasing the risk of other serious infections during that time.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...mory-infection

Maintaining herd immunity with high levels of vaccination is a public safety issue.
I do not like or trust doctors. I do not have or go to doctors. You do not have my consent to take my blood pressure, never mind stick a needle in my arm. It's the messenger, so what he says means nothing.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 AM

30,137 posts, read 18,738,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I do not like or trust doctors. I do not have or go to doctors. You do not have my consent to take my blood pressure, never mind stick a needle in my arm. It's the messenger, so what he says means nothing.

??????

Old 09-17-2019, 07:28 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I know. You missed the point. Why does she refuse a vaccine that protects unvaccinated infants against whooping cough and then go in a neonatal intensive care unit? That is absolutely irresponsible. Does she think she will catch autism from Tdap?

Of course you know more than all of the physicians and vaccine researchers in the world.

Why has this information not made headlines six inches high?

Vaccines stimulate the immune system the same way the diseases they prevent do. However, the diseases themselves are much harsher on the immune system. That is why people die from them, and otherwise healthy people can and do die from them.

Measles produces immune system damage that lasts two to three years, increasing the risk of other serious infections during that time.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...mory-infection

Maintaining herd immunity with high levels of vaccination is a public safety issue.
^^This. And there is never any documentation of these pronouncements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, I am turning 71. Are the newborns parents getting their pertussis vaccine? ALL pregnant women get that vaccination? Sorry, you cannot see your own child without your vaccinations? My daughter and her wife didn't get their own, why would they demand we do?

Some 30/40 years ago all visitors (Dads too) around newborns, not just NICU, had to suit up as if they were performing surgery. Go back to doing that if hospitals, rather nurses, are so concerned about visitors vaccinations.

Putting a seat belt on your body is not quite the same thing as putting a vaccine INSIDE your body. Autism at my age????? More likely Alzheimers.
In large part, yes, parents of newborns are getting their Tdap. Probably more Moms than Dads. It's recommended during pregnancy for the moms. Since you're so into anecdotes about your family, I'll return it and say that my SIL got his Tdap as well. I know his own mom got one, as did I. Both of our husbands have had cancer treatment recently; I know my husband can't get his vaccines yet following his stem-cell transplant, and I'm not sure what's going on with the other grandfather WRT vaccines.

"Suiting up" as you call it won't do anything to prevent airborne infections. You have to quit breathing.

We get it; nothing is the same as having to get a vaccine. That is sarcasm.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:21 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,797,512 times
People who have been vaccinated for pertussis can have asymptomatic pertussis meaning that they show no symptoms yet are contagious. Wouldn’t it be better for Jo to avoid the NICU because she has a cough and knows she might be sick rather then go in because she feels great, yet is contagious with pertussis and in turn spreads it to the babies int he NICU?

Wake up Suzy and strop spreading misinformation. You’re admonishing someone for going into the NICU without having a vaccine that could cause the above scenario. Having the vaccine for pertussis does not protect the babies around you who are most susceptible. It prevents symptoms in adults and children who are not particularly susceptible.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
People who have been vaccinated for pertussis can have asymptomatic pertussis meaning that they show no symptoms yet are contagious. Wouldn’t it be better for Jo to avoid the NICU because she has a cough and knows she might be sick rather then go in because she feels great, yet is contagious with pertussis and in turn spreads it to the babies int he NICU?

Wake up Suzy and strop spreading misinformation. You’re admonishing someone for going into the NICU without having a vaccine that could cause the above scenario. Having the vaccine for pertussis does not protect the babies around you who are most susceptible. It prevents symptoms in adults and children who are not particularly susceptible.
Facts about "asymptomatic pertussis": https://vaxopedia.org/2018/07/09/can...-of-pertussis/
A study done on the huge number of TWO BABOONS. Not thousands of people, two baboons. Two, 2, dos, etc. Quite convincing, no? NO!
"Even the author of the baboon study has said that “We agree that these data should not be directly extrapolated to pertussis transmission in humans. . . understand that these vaccines don’t actually infect you, making you a carrier. They just might not prevent you from becoming a carrier if you are exposed to someone else with pertussis."

I suggest you read the article. And remember, humans are not baboons!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Facts about "asymptomatic pertussis": https://vaxopedia.org/2018/07/09/can...-of-pertussis/
A study done on the huge number of TWO BABOONS. Not thousands of people, two baboons. Two, 2, dos, etc. Quite convincing, no? NO!
"Even the author of the baboon study has said that “We agree that these data should not be directly extrapolated to pertussis transmission in humans. . . understand that these vaccines don’t actually infect you, making you a carrier. They just might not prevent you from becoming a carrier if you are exposed to someone else with pertussis."

I suggest you read the article. And remember, humans are not baboons!
I suggest you educate yourself and actually look at the studies and stop getting your info from these types of biased blogs. It goes beyond these two baboons.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482312/
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0624071018.htm
Quote:
Whooping cough has made an astonishing comeback, with 2012 seeing nearly 50,000 infections in the U.S. (the most since 1955), and a death rate in infants three times that of the rest of the population. The dramatic resurgence has puzzled public health officials, who have pointed to the waning effectiveness of the current vaccine and growing anti-vaccine sentiment as the most likely culprits.

But that might not be the whole story, suggests a new study published in BMC Medicine by Santa Fe Institute Omidyar Fellows Ben Althouse and Sam Scarpino. Their research points to a different, but related, source of the outbreak -- vaccinated people who are infectious but who do not display the symptoms of whooping cough, suggesting that the number of people transmitting without symptoms may be many times greater than those transmitting with symptoms.
https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...ciz531/5525423

Old 09-17-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I suggest you educate yourself and actually look at the studies and stop getting your info from these types of biased blogs. It goes beyond these two baboons.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482312/
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0624071018.htm

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...ciz531/5525423
As has been poined out to you before, words like "suggest" are not definitive, and generally mean "more research is necessary". As to your second link, I can only get the abstract which concludes "Our review reveals a gap in our understanding of pertussis transmission.". A gap, get it? "More research needed".

Meanwhile, recommendations have not changed. What we're doing is the best there is now.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,604,797 times
Lightbulb Anti-Vax movement, Climate change denial, flat earthere.. whats with this trend?

It's the last hurrah of the proudly ignorant.

They're now past their shelf life.

2020, the year America regains its vision.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As has been poined out to you before, words like "suggest" are not definitive, and generally mean "more research is necessary". As to your second link, I can only get the abstract which concludes "Our review reveals a gap in our understanding of pertussis transmission.". A gap, get it? "More research needed".

Meanwhile, recommendations have not changed. What we're doing is the best there is now.
More research needed goes both ways. More research needed to determine if the practice of vaccinating adults with and older children with pertussis to protect babies is helpful or harmful.

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-17-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies