Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Some relevance to the "free market" where corporations and the government collude to offer the highest calorie and lowest nutrition foods to the populace......which then happen to ALSO enrich the 3 Trillion dollar Predatory Medical System.....

https://fee.org/articles/did-america...nment-experts/

BTW, Trump just redesigned the food guidelines even more to satisfy the meat producers and the fast food corporations.

All the food pyramids have been lobbied for - corporations are people and corporations want people to be fat and profitable.
It has nothing to do with a free market, as we don't have a free market in our food system. What we have is a revolving door collusion between big pharma, big industrial food production, and greedy politicians.

Thankfully, we're seeing the local/craft food scene is helping to change that slowly.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Nobody wanted the food. The key is balance, and portion control. Michelle didn't practice any of what she preached. Total hypocrite.
Is she obese?

Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
But body-positive!!!!!11

Old 09-16-2019, 07:05 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Remember when Michelle Obama was encouraging healthy living in students and conservatives screamed bloody murder over it?
Good idea with simply unbelievably horrid implementation.

The years my kids begged my wife to make them lunch.

Kids are not going to eat whole grain wheat everything. They just arent. And I mean EVERYTHING, even on pizza day every other friday.

FWIW both my kids are skinny as heck but no they will not eat that. The garbage was overflowing because kids were literally throwing away 2/3 of their lunches and going hungry rather that eat that crap. It eased up after ~2 or 3 years. Less sweets remained which I am fine with but whole wheat everything for example went away.

Edit: In place of sweets they added fruit which is high in calories but better for them. It also worked okay-ish.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Leftists will blame anything on everyone else and never on the individual.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:15 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
When I was in school, there was always one Fat Kid. Now schools have one Thin Kid.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
When I was in school, there was always one Fat Kid. Now schools have one Thin Kid.
Exactly. The same foods were served, fast foods were around, etc. It's the lack of discipline and laziness at home about eating right and lack of exercise.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, before that whiny, fake term, food desert, became a thing........people actually participated in the
nightmarish task of traveling to get groceries if necessary. I have had to do it, pedaled my bike for 5 miles to get groceries......not that big of a deal.

Just more excuses for the fatification of a nation.
Middle of nowhere type places don't tend to have safe extensive bike routes. And there are areas that are further than 5 miles away to the nearest grocery store. If someone has a job and kids, expecting them to bike at least 10+ miles daily round trip (because a bag of fresh produce won't feed a family for more than a day) on unsafe roads is unrealistic.

Basically, for most people to stay skinny in those places requires extreme levels of willpower, not a standard human level of willpower that would be required elsewhere.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:48 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Exactly. The same foods were served, fast foods were around, etc. It's the lack of discipline and laziness at home about eating right and lack of exercise.
1. People are no more or less disciplined now than they were 30-40 years ago.
2. It has been proven that exercise does little to help loose weight.

People who keep saying there is some sort of behavior difference now compared to just 30 years ago don't seem to be much older than 30 years. Of if they are, they aren't very observant.

In summary:

-- Exercise makes little difference for weight gain/loss (though to be sure there are other health benefits of exercising).
-- People's laziness, eating behaviors, etc are little or no different than they were 30 years ago. Things like that simply do not change much in 30 years. Come back to me in 100 years and maybe we can talk.

"Once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever's left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Once you realize that exercise makes little or no difference, and once you realize that attitudes and habits aren't much different, and once you realize that what we eat isn't all that different, what is left?

There is only 1 thing left I can think of: The same things we're eating now that we were 30 years ago is somehow different.

Ounce for ounce, it adds more weight than the same thing 30 years ago. I already alluded to one of those things (the plastics issue).

In the exercise section there was recently a discussion on another factor: It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the ’80s.
Quote:
A 2015 study revealed that people today are 10 percent heavier than they were in the 1980s—even with the same diets and exercise regimens.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
1. People are no more or less disciplined now than they were 30-40 years ago.
2. It has been proven that exercise does little to help loose weight.

People who keep saying there is some sort of behavior difference now compared to just 30 years ago don't seem to be much older than 30 years. Of if they are, they aren't very observant.

In summary:

-- Exercise makes little difference for weight gain/loss (though to be sure there are other health benefits of exercising).
-- People's laziness, eating behaviors, etc are little or no different than they were 30 years ago. Things like that simply do not change much in 30 years. Come back to me in 100 years and maybe we can talk.

"Once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever's left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Once you realize that exercise makes little or no difference, and once you realize that attitudes and habits aren't much different, and once you realize that what we eat isn't all that different, what is left?

There is only 1 thing left I can think of: The same things we're eating now that we were 30 years ago is somehow different.

Ounce for ounce, it adds more weight than the same thing 30 years ago. I already alluded to one of those things (the plastics issue).

In the exercise section there was recently a discussion on another factor: It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the ’80s.
You're so full of crap. Exercise is key to maintaining a healthy weight and attitudes and habits have definitely changed. Stop the BS. I see it with my own eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies