Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 06:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the ’80s

Interesting article with video from The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/in.../skinnier-80s/

It says you can do the same exercise and eat the same foods and weigh more now than in the '80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 06:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I'm not sure I buy it. If you listen to the talk, the spokesperson for the Atlantic is only speculating. She says things like "could be...", "may be changing the way the body metabolizes..." etc. Also, some pesticides and other chemicals used in the 80's have been banned in the US. Plus, organic food has gained tremendous popularity, so many people aren't ingesting that stuff, anyway. Has there been a study comparing people on an all-organic, or mostly-organic diet to people eating conventional fruits and vegetables, to see if the consumers of organic foods are thinner?

It's easy to fling around theories, but that's all they are, is unproven theories so far. The millennials I know are as slim as 20-somethings and early 30-somethings were in the 80's. And they don't go to the gym. They don't have to; their hormones at that age manage their metabolism just fine, and they don't overeat, or gorge on sweets and other empty carbs, or eat junk food. The video seems to be peddling stereotypes of Americans eating a lot of fast food. People were doing that in the 80's too, and those people were overweight. The rest weren't.

More study needed.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
of course it was better xx years ago.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Pharmaceutical gobbling has increased dramatically since the 80's, and many of these drugs can contribute to weight gain.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:25 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Pharmaceutical gobbling has increased dramatically since the 80's, and many of these drugs can contribute to weight gain.
Before there were SSRI's, there was valium, along with other Pharma products for mood issues, weight loss, and so on. Does anyone here know anyone who gained weight after beginning an SSRI regime? The two people I know have not; one is very thin, and runs marathons. The other is no more obese than he already was before starting the med.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Did not even have to watch it to know how absurd it is.

It is real simple, do not eat so much.

Everyone got to go make some giant, complicated issue out of it.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:06 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Exactly. We are always looking for the latest reason why 1/3 of the population is obese.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Before there were SSRI's, there was valium, along with other Pharma products for mood issues, weight loss, and so on. Does anyone here know anyone who gained weight after beginning an SSRI regime? The two people I know have not; one is very thin, and runs marathons. The other is no more obese than he already was before starting the med.
Some of the older antidepressants like amitriptyline/nortriptyline were known to have more side effects than SSRIs, including weight gain. I took amitriptyline for migraines for about 3 years and recall being ravenous the entire time I took it. I tried SSRIs for a month and had so much indigestion/reflux that I didn’t want to eat anything.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:51 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:

No, it is true - it really is more complicated than that.

Read Wheat Belly by William Davis. Wheat (and other grains, but mostly wheat) have actually changed in the past 30 or so years. Today's wheat invokes a greater insulin response than the wheat of just 30 years ago, due to various effects of selective breeding. That insulin response is what makes you gain weight. A slice of bread will make you fatter than the same slice of bread 30 years ago.

There are other factors as well, such as increased plastics packaging of foods, etc. There are chemicals in plastics that are known endocrine blockers, which can lead to increased obesity.

Even the increased use of PVC piping contains chemicals that are known to increase obesity and diabetes.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:07 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:

You should patent that formula. I've found that if I burn more calories than I consume, I don't gain weight! It's amazing. I would also suggest quality calories most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness