Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should children have a right to completely choose the school they desire?
Yes 9 18.37%
No 40 81.63%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you don't have any children, who do you think will be taking care of you when you're old?

Our children will, that's who.

And you'd be fine with that person being unable to read a medicine bottle label.
So we educate people in order to make a claim on their future labor?

That's indentured servitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,650 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
So we educate people in order to make a claim on their future labor?

That's indentured servitude.
No, businesses are expected to pay fair market wages for their work.

And yes, we educate people so we have an educated labor force and literate population.

So. Why do you think we educate ALL children, and don't require parents to pay?

Old 09-18-2019, 01:58 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,944,693 times
Quote:
If you don't have any children, who do you think will be taking care of you when you're old?

Our children will, that's who.

And you'd be fine with that person being unable to read a medicine bottle label.
You seem to have missed the part where I stated that "I'm playing the devil's advocate here since I do believe that our society benefits when we educate our young."

Actually, I have spent a lifetime devoted to post secondary education and the provision of public libraries - libraries are wonderful places where anyone can come to get all sorts of knowledge, education, and information.

Since I never had children of my own, the people who come after me will be my students. I hope that I helped them all along in the path toward their own educations - if only in the humblest of ways.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,650 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You seem to have missed the part where I stated that "I'm playing the devil's advocate here since I do believe that our society benefits when we educate our young."

Actually, I have spent a lifetime devoted to post secondary education and the provision of public libraries - libraries are wonderful places where anyone can come to get all sorts of knowledge, education, and information.

Since I never had children of my own, the people who come after me will be my students. I hope that I helped them all along in the path toward their own educations - if only in the humblest of ways.
I saw it.

I don't think we can have our population deciding, individually, what to fund. (I do think we should decide as a group, not an individual).

Otherwise, we'd have someone saying well, here's some money. I don't want to fund music but I do want to fund art.

Actually, no, here's your tax bill. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:31 PM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
No, businesses are expected to pay fair market wages for their work.
That wasn't your earlier point, though. You questioned another poster on who would take care of them when they are old, which implies that someone, somewhere has a claim already placed upon their future labor to take care of that person when they are old. From this you assert, that since that person's labor has been claimed in the name of the old person, they'd preferably be educated, thus making that labor more valuable at the time the person exercises what is apparently a rightful claim to that labor.
Quote:
And yes, we educate people so we have an educated labor force and literate population.
Again, not what you were implying in your rebuttal/question. You asked about someone being taken care of when they were old, and if they didn't have children of their own being obligated to that task, then apparently your children are. And again, since someone, somehwere is obligated to that future commitment, we better educate everyone so that those indentured to serving old people will be competent in their indentured duties.
Quote:
So. Why do you think we educate ALL children, and don't require parents to pay?
Apparently because we want our indentured servants to be capable, even if not willing, once we get old and subjugate them to carrying out the labor of caring for us in our elderly and helpless state.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:33 PM

10,536 posts, read 6,175,841 times
Which kind of school?
Are we talking from elementary school?
No of course not.

University, yes, of course they should have a strong part in the decision.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM

39,091 posts, read 51,273,483 times
In my state, parents (kids can't choose) can send their children to any school in the state that has room for them and they provide their own transportation if outside attendance boundaries for that school. Priority is for in-district students, but generally there is space available. Even with that, virtually all kids go to a neighborhood school. Parents have jobs, kids have neighborhood friends. People want good neighborhood schools, not busing (or driving). That's our goal.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:39 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Govt dictated compulsory education should be ended and all govt schools closed, allowing parents to make best choices in a free market with their own dollars.
Some people won't be satisfied until every government function, even ones that have served us well, are eliminated. If you want to live in a grim "dog eat dog" society then Russia might be right for you.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:48 PM

20,155 posts, read 9,049,040 times
they certainly should be allowed to go to any school they can afford.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:54 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,387,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Some people won't be satisfied until every government function, even ones that have served us well, are eliminated. If you want to live in a grim "dog eat dog" society then Russia might be right for you.
Russia, Russia, Russia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies