Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times

Advertisements

I mean, look at all this panic and hysteria. Don't you think the message is being pushed way too hard?

Or do you really believe that after ten years, humanity will be doomed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I mean, look at all this panic and hysteria. Don't you think the message is being pushed way too hard?

I think that if you live in a coastal city, and you get hit with a hurricane, you dont care what its called, you just want your elected officials to be able to pay for sea walls, storm drains, and levees.

That shouldnt be so hard to understand, and yet it is for the right wing.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:59 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:

Keep your head in the sand. There will be a lot more room for the rest of us when all you deniers are under water.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:09 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,006 times
Quote:

You can't argue with religion.
By the way, according to the prophecies of this religion, I'm already living under water

Or, another one - from Al Gore, 2008:
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/12/...ne-in-5-years/

And then he made ~$100mln on this hysteria. Panic is very profitable, especially when you have the power

Old 10-03-2019, 11:16 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
I think the message that everything has been figured out with high accuracy is being pushed way too hard. The early projections made have generally only been partially realized to date. The systems are probably even more complicated and confusing than the top 5,000 scientists have been able to figure out and there are some natural trends and system adaptations / "self-healings" that could counter current trends (for awhile or over what I would count as long-term).

I am skeptical that we only have 10-12 years to make dramatic change before it is "too late". Climate changes and consequences are probably on a sliding scale. What is often left out in the claim of only have 10-12 years to make dramatic change before it is too late is that much of the claimed damage coming after that point will still take 50-100+ years to be brought about and experienced. I still have some confidence in science and ingenuity to tackle problems that seem too big to slow, partially offset or reverse / solve.

The norms, comforts and preferences of modern humans are one set but the planet has gone thru changes vastly more extreme, shocking and traumatic for life forms and life. We will have to adapt but we have the ability to adapt. The extent of the adaptation required is not certain, total and probably not impossible.

Still, research is important and starting action is important and getting everyone involved is important and measuring the impact of corrective actions is important.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-03-2019 at 11:35 PM..

Old 10-03-2019, 11:19 PM

914 posts, read 643,579 times
I might point out that our deranged governor, the one who sweats profusely, has fire in his eyes, smoke coming out his ears, and his body trembles erratically when he speaks about Trump. Once he heard our president announced that climate change was a hoax only to make people rich, Newsom was seen displaying all of the above symptoms. Now Newsom has decided with his executive order to take that $0.25+ gas tax per gallon increase and a doubled annual car registration and tax fee, well he now wants to spend those billions on AOC's green new deal. So we'll just have to watch our roads continue to crumble. But hey, on the high side, AOC will probably take notice of Newom's virtue signals - mission accomplished.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:

I cannot.

I’m planning a trip to Australia soon since I’ve always wanted to see the Great Barrier Reef.

There is a real possibility that it’s dead and gone in 10 years.

Already over a quarter of it has died because of the warming ocean. Coral are extremely sensitive to temperature.

So when you hear the girl crying at the UN because entire ecosystems are collapsing, you can laugh at her if you want, but she’s speaking the truth.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:06 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
My family has owned some beach front property in New Jersey since the 1950's, and nothing has changed to the property landscape in those 75 years. I was a neighborhood party (my house which is not at the shore), we were talking about our shore house and my neighbor started yelling how we were idiots for having a shore house and its going to disappear in 5 years and her 'scientist' husband (he really is a retired biology researcher) backed her up, and they know everything because he is a 'scientist'.

The stupidity and rage of these (somewhat smart) people are unbelievable, I truly believe its demonic possession.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:30 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,962 times
Quote:

America will be pretty insulated because we have he resources to deal with climate change, for now.

But, I’d love for a conservative to travel to a country like India and tell them the record high temperatures there are a “liberal hoax.”

“Like, I know 123 degrees out and your entire village had to abandon their centuries old farm, but climate change is totally a conspiracy by Obama and the lizard people bro”

That’s basically how conservatives are at this point.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:36 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
America will be pretty insulated because we have he resources to deal with climate change, for now.

But, I’d love for a conservative to travel to a country like India and tell them the record high temperatures there are a “liberal hoax.”

“Like, I know 123 degrees out and your entire village had to abandon their centuries old farm, but climate change is totally a conspiracy by Obama and the lizard people bro”

That’s basically how conservatives are at this point.
Must be that white privilege that America isn't seeing that climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies