Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:15 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times

Advertisements

I live in California, so my vote has been meaningless for the past 45 years. You get used to it after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 04:57 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Pulosi: We can't allow Trump to be Re-elected. Even if the American Citizens elect him for a 2nd term.

They cannot afford for YOU to vote Trump in office in 2020.
Pelosi is the name of The Speaker of the House.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:16 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Again, this is flat out ignorant. Our country was not set up to have "the people" solely elect the POTUS.
My post was not ignorant, but yours is. I bolded the word "peoples'" to point out that the popular vote did not go to Trump, but to Hillary Clinton. No amount of pointing out otherwise can change that. I am well aware that the electoral college is how the President gets into office. Nevertheless, there is also a popular vote. You are clearly not a Political Science educator, and you are a poor student of same.

THE PEOPLE voted AGAINST TRUMP.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:42 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
My post was not ignorant, but yours is. I bolded the word "peoples'" to point out that the popular vote did not go to Trump, but to Hillary Clinton. No amount of pointing out otherwise can change that. I am well aware that the electoral college is how the President gets into office. Nevertheless, there is also a popular vote. You are clearly not a Political Science educator, and you are a poor student of same.

THE PEOPLE voted AGAINST TRUMP.
Popular vote doesn't count.
"The People" also voted against Bill Clinton, who never got 50% of the vote. It has happened several times in history.
Move along.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

- Mitch McConnell, Oct. 29, 2010.
Let’s hope Moscow Mitch” feels the same way about Trump as he did re Obama.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:39 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Let’s hope Moscow Mitch” feels the same way about Trump as he did re Obama.
Good luck with that. LoL

Old 10-04-2019, 09:41 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Pulosi: We can't allow Trump to be Re-elected. Even if the American Citizens elect him for a 2nd term.

They cannot afford for YOU to vote Trump in office in 2020.

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...32538677432320
You made stuff up -- put words in that she never said.

Of course Democrats want Trump to serve only one term.
'
You aren't making any sense.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:01 PM

1,138 posts, read 449,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I mean for the 3 odd million more people who voted D instead of R last time.... yea you are kinda right. For instance, last election each Republican vote counted for more than 104.5 % of a Democrat vote. Meaning roughly every 21 or so Republican votes a d vote was negated.
Obviously you have little understanding of the purpose of the Electoral College.

The United States is not a democracy and was not set up that way. The founders realized democracy is nothing more than mob rule and that high population cities and states could run roughshod over the smaller and the less populated states. They also realized without these less populous states that tended to be more agriculture and livestock producing, the major populations centers would struggle with food and clothing material shortages and be dependent on the very Europeans they just declared independence from.

A fair system had to be in place to insure these needed states would join the union. They were not going to join and be governed by people living in areas with much higher populations without a guarantee their voices could and would be counted. Thus the brilliant system of electorate vote was devised. Each state was granted two electorate votes plus one vote for each house of representatives member their state had. This allowed for states that grew to receive more electorate votes and vice versa. The system has worked perfectly for almost 150 years.

There is no way it is fair for places like New York or California to be able to completely call the shots in a Presidential election. Smaller less populated states have a right to a voice in the election of a President, and that is why he is the President of the United States, not President of the People.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:16 PM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I mean for the 3 odd million more people who voted D instead of R last time.... yea you are kinda right. For instance, last election each Republican vote counted for more than 104.5 % of a Democrat vote. Meaning roughly every 21 or so Republican votes a d vote was negated.
Not understanding the Electoral College and state elections of Electors is fine, but deliberately calling attention to the fact that you don’t understand it is pretty silly.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Nancy Pelosi: “I want to pretend that this impeachment is not politically motivated, but actually it is.”

That is all she had to say.
Oh hell, everything becomes politics at some level. This is nothing new. 250 years ago the big argument was whether the President should have king-like powers (the Federalist position), and here we are again arguing the same thing. The Pubs want King Trump and the Dems want the power to be with the people through Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies