Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times

Advertisements

In recent threads, I have seen this peddled by several right leaning posters, especially when it comes to schools. Why is it that you guys think that if left to "think for themselves", that you think everyone would be a conservative? You don't think that anyone would genuinely lean more liberal just on their own?

Old 10-08-2019, 06:04 AM

45,285 posts, read 26,536,890 times
As a libertarian I'm neither right wing or conservative, but let me ask; what is the purpose of the govt education system if not to shape the mind in a certain direction?

I'm of the opinion that the states compulsory education system is the of the most damaging schemes forced on mankind.
Read up on how the Prussian method of education came to pass.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:10 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,980,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
In recent threads, I have seen this peddled by several right leaning posters, especially when it comes to schools. Why is it that you guys think that if left to "think for themselves", that you think everyone would be a conservative? You don't think that anyone would genuinely lean more liberal just on their own?
Why don't schools teach facts, critical thinking, and then guide discussion instead of presenting one viewpoint and testing on that?

There's a difference. And the schools are presenting one viewpoint. That's why.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As a libertarian I'm neither right wing or conservative, but let me ask; what is the purpose of the govt education system if not to shape the mind in a certain direction?

I'm of the opinion that the states compulsory education system is the of the most damaging schemes forced on mankind.
The purpose of public education is to actually provide education for students whose parents can't afford tuition for private school, that is all imo

Old 10-08-2019, 06:13 AM

8,964 posts, read 2,572,094 times
For the most part ideologies on the left are collectivist in nature, right leaning ideologies are typically more centered on the individual.

I think you are correct though that it's not a matter of "thinking for yourself", because less competent people will tend to seek strength in numbers so they'll always lean a bit to the left and more competent people will tend towards more individualistic ideologies so that they aren't forced to carry so much dead weight.

I think most people find a healthy middle ground between the two.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why don't schools teach facts, critical thinking, and then guide discussion instead of presenting one viewpoint and testing on that?

There's a difference. And the schools are presenting one viewpoint. That's why.
When I went to school (80s&90s), politics wasn't discussed in social studies or any other class, and I went to school in NY. So I don't know that things have changed since then

Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 AM

30,583 posts, read 19,319,171 times
Quote:
There probably are some that would lean left on their own but the fact that so many Leftists are young students or recent graduates combined with the Left's complete monopoly on education and the Left's brainwashing/indoctrination is dependent on that, it's a fact that many liberals are essentially programmed or brainwashed at our schools.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,006,288 times
Quote:
The purpose of public education is to actually provide education for students whose parents can't afford tuition for private school, that is all imo
That should be the purpose, but that's not what is actually happening.

I listen to a podcast of 2 guys from CA. One has a young son that attends public school, and is in the 3rd grade. He has kept every letter sent home from the school administration, and recently went through them all to look at the subjects of each. He said there were about 25 letters.

ZERO letters pertained to academics. The subjects ranged from information regarding protests (the recent protest against global warming prompted him to look at the letters), admonishments about bullying, and informing parents of teacher education days, many of which were not academic.

I think any fool can look at the state of our education system and see it's not about academics anymore. And as a taxpayer, if teaches and admin have time to fool around with, and skip school for protests, then they must be all caught up with teaching the kids everything they need to know, right?

Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,085,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

But conservatives, for the most part, have been through similar school systems. Did you go to private schools? or were you home schooled?

Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 AM

22,010 posts, read 9,586,243 times
Quote:
When I went to school (80s&90s), politics wasn't discussed in social studies or any other class, and I went to school in NY. So I don't know that things have changed since then
I am a parent of and 8th grader and a sophomore. Trust me. They have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies