Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:00 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

You would think Michelle would be happy to just retire into obscurity on Martha's Vineyard.
Except it wasn't Michelle Obama blaming white supremacy for obesity. She wanted to get everyone, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian,etc on board for healthier eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 11:02 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
I had no idea these women were slaves. They all must be what, about 200 years old?
If there's some validity to what they're saying with regard to domestic abuse and violence, that goes back to the days of slavery and is passed down among the generations, then they have a point. No amount of money thrown their way will fix that issue, but psychological counseling may.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A lot of people have struggled financially and it is as flippant to assume otherwise when you don't know. In most cases a five minute drive is equivalent to less than a mile distance and many of us have had to walk to get groceries at some point in our lives. If a particular five minute drive equals five miles of distance that is too far to walk. Not all poor inner city neighborhoods are equal, but walking to the store or laundromat tends to be the norm. If everything is too far to walk to and bus service is really bad, then yes it is a problem.
I agree with the bold. However, my post of which you commented on was specific to a particular city and its inner city communities.

I currently live in the Toledo, OH metro area. Toledo is much easier to get to stores and laundromats versus Atlanta because it is not as sprawled and there are sidewalks to use to get to the store. There are also a lot of neighborhood grocery stores and laundromats here. So it is not the same as Atlanta. Atlanta really is like a huge sprawled out suburb and because of that, it is very difficult for people in the inner city there (in certain neighborhoods because not all of them suffer from these scenarios) to get fresh food or wash their clothes or take their kids to school. It is better than it used to be when I was younger there.

And I never assumed others have not struggled financially. My comment was specific about Atlanta and if you don't know about Atlanta you shouldn't be commenting on issues that that particular city has in regards to having poor access to healthy food for its poorer residents, who a majority of whom are black. The neighborhood I lived in was 99% black so this primarily impacts black people there. Even though it has a reputation for being a good city for African Americans to live, about a third of black people in that city are poverty stricken.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Except it wasn't Michelle Obama blaming white supremacy for obesity. She wanted to get everyone, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian,etc on board for healthier eating.
Obese people claim it's always "thyroid disorder" that makes them overweight. It is blamed on any or everything but over-eating. I don't feel sorry for someone who is overweight, generally the amount of vitriol they aim at thinner people is what makes them disgusting, not their body size.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Obese people claim it's always "thyroid disorder" that makes them overweight. It is blamed on any or everything but over-eating. I don't feel sorry for someone who is overweight, generally the amount of vitriol they aim at thinner people is what makes them disgusting, not their body size.
Agreed.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:45 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,512,383 times
OMG already. Listen fatty, put down the chicken wings and bon bons and exercise. Now she can thank a white guy for helping her lose weight.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
OMG already. Listen fatty, put down the chicken wings and bon bons and exercise. Now she can thank a white guy for helping her lose weight.
Put down that Popeyes chicken sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies