Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 03:14 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times

Advertisements

The utility company, National Grid, has fired an employee that was set off by the mere sight of opposing view bumper stickers on an empty parked car. The man caused a scene by repeatedly blasting his horn and radio of a company owned vehicle while he was on the job. He further verbally disparaged residents of the Belmont, MA neighborhood that came out of their home to see what the fuss was about.

National Grid has fired the employee who, in a Trump hat, confronted a Belmont woman over her bumper stickers
https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...umper-stickers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 03:20 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
People should learn to keep their opinions to themselves while on the clock, especially if they are in a company uniform or vehicle.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The utility company, National Grid, has fired an employee that was set off by the mere sight of opposing view bumper stickers on an empty parked car. The man caused a scene by repeatedly blasting his horn and radio of a company owned vehicle while he was on the job. He further verbally disparaged residents of the Belmont, MA neighborhood that came out of their home to see what the fuss was about.

National Grid has fired the employee who, in a Trump hat, confronted a Belmont woman over her bumper stickers
https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...umper-stickers

Why would a Trump guy who cannot even handle seeing any politically opposing views held at all, live in Massachusetts? Does he understand the demographics? He's adjacent to Boston, and he hates liberals? Sounds like a masochist.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
No matter what your politics are, if you go out of your way to disturb others, you are doing your own side a great disservice. The company did the right thing by canning this guy. It looks like it's close to being time for him to retire.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:31 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Remember folks, every workplace is a little slice of North Korea that you must inhabit for 40 hours a week. Best to obey orders and keep your mouth shut, like in any other dictatorship.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:32 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Not really a work issue more of a "don't go make a huge scene in someone else's neighborhood because you saw bumper stickers you don't like" issue.

That said I wish they would ban posts based on anecdotal topics in POC for both sides. Would go a long way to clean up clutter.

No one really cares about which random person spit on who or which guy blasted his horn in which neighborhood beyond its usage as a cudgel for the other side.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:44 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
The two impressions I get:

1. The utility worker should know better than to get into a political argument with someone on the job like that. Many employers have policies against this kind of thing when on the clock and there's a good reason for this.

2. Nowadays people feel they need to get in other peoples' faces and document everyone and everything that mildly annoys them, and then blast their side of the story, so it can go "viral". While it's possible he is the instigator of the entire situation, we're only hearing one part of the story.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-11-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-11-2019, 04:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Not really a work issue more of a "don't go make a huge scene in someone else's neighborhood because you saw bumper stickers you don't like" issue.
Um, he was ON THE JOB.

I'm retired now, but every place I worked for the 50+ years of my working life, I was required to not act out. Didn't matter whether I was in the office or in the field. Or whether I was deliberately provoked.

If you can find an employer who doesn't care how you act while you are ON THE JOB, more power to you.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
What was the original complaint from the man? Story incomplete, bad reporting. Assuming the woman was parked in his way of work.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Hah, I'm a Nat. Grid customer. Good riddance to that fool.

Now he can sink into the lower middle class and get really angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies