Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 12:44 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
And the more I have seen liberal policies run my once-fine city into the ground (literally from my birth to now it has went from a second tier suburb into a dangerous inner city over that time) I know exactly the evil of progressivism because I have seen it's disastrous results up close and personal.

Which city is that?

Old 10-24-2019, 12:46 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Which city is that?
The Twin Cities (I've been in St. Paul my whole life).

Old 10-24-2019, 12:48 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
This could be a worldview or better yet a political view. What changed over the years? Why are you more conservative now? Is it money and career? Is it family? Is it country? Maybe other factors...
Holy hell. I am not! The older I get, the more liberal I get.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:05 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
The Twin Cities (I've been in St. Paul my whole life).
HAHAHAHA!!!!!’ I know a few people that live there. St Paul is anything but a disaster. Puh-leeze

Old 10-24-2019, 01:45 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The R's have gone right, if you can't see it, it means you're far right or migrated that way with them

The correct answer is the R's have gone more to the right and the D's have gone far far left.

There are endless examples but just take Biden and his time in congress which he now has to apologize for and distance himself from. I don't think the same could be said for the 2016 GOP candidates and their past.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:56 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The correct answer is the R's have gone more to the right and the D's have gone far far left.

There are endless examples but just take Biden and his time in congress which he now has to apologize for and distance himself from. I don't think the same could be said for the 2016 GOP candidates and their past.
I sorta agree, I don't think that the R's have shifted much at all, if they did it was that the party seems more tolerant of gay people. Not sure how to measure that exactly, but that's what it seems like. No R like you mentioned is back peddling from past statements like the way the Dems are. All of them, Harris is trying to play down her tough talk on crime, Biden, heck, just take any given stance and he's flipped on them. I mean it's silly really.

The dems have shifted way left in comparison to any shift right that the R's may have done. This is really obvious to anyone that isn't hardcore partisan.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I sorta agree, I don't think that the R's have shifted much at all, if they did it was that the party seems more tolerant of gay people. Not sure how to measure that exactly, but that's what it seems like. No R like you mentioned is back peddling from past statements like the way the Dems are. All of them, Harris is trying to play down her tough talk on crime, Biden, heck, just take any given stance and he's flipped on them. I mean it's silly really.

The dems have shifted way left in comparison to any shift right that the R's may have done. This is really obvious to anyone that isn't hardcore partisan.
Not really. There have been rumblings for single payer healthcare for the last 30 years now, so it's not a new position. Meanwhile R's have passed the Patriot Act, created Homeland Security and the TSA, switched Immigration from the State Department (INS) to Homeland Security (ICE), have passed the travel ban and the Defense of Marriage Act and are trying to ban abortion more hardcore than ever before

The party of the 70s and 80s wasn't doing that!

Old 10-24-2019, 02:22 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
This could be a worldview or better yet a political view. What changed over the years? Why are you more conservative now? Is it money and career? Is it family? Is it country? Maybe other factors...
I'm not that conservative really. I shifted a bit since I worked for government and saw how badly it worked. The dems have moved to wacko left wing land. And they've adopted radical feminism as part of their platform. I've seen too many men falsely accused and I've been falsely accused by women so I'm MRA now. That fits more with Trump than anyone. Heil Trump!

Old 10-24-2019, 02:27 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not really. There have been rumblings for single payer healthcare for the last 30 years now, so it's not a new position. Meanwhile R's have passed the Patriot Act, created Homeland Security and the TSA, switched Immigration from the State Department (INS) to Homeland Security (ICE), have passed the travel ban and the Defense of Marriage Act and are trying to ban abortion more hardcore than ever before

The party of the 70s and 80s wasn't doing that!
Ill give you the Abortion thing, They have ramped that up, but so has the dems. Wanting abortion on demand up to 9 months without any underlining reason. That to me is more radical than trying to outlaw abortion.

I'm pro choice but not third trimester, not unless the mother is at risk, and I bet if you asked most mainstream Americans that are pro-choice that that would be the same answer or some version of that answer. The fact that dems are totally ok with late term abortion puts them further left on that issue, my opinion only. I watched Clinton last go around last debate asked about late term abortion and she didn't say no or add any caveats. I remember because my mouth hit the floor watching her say that. I've seen similar answers by all of the Dem front runners.

Increasing national security and border security isn't a right or left issue, it's a common sense issue and should be bi-partisan.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:27 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
And the more I have seen liberal policies run my once-fine city into the ground (literally from my birth to now it has went from a second tier suburb into a dangerous inner city over that time) I know exactly the evil of progressivism because I have seen it's disastrous results up close and personal.
I grew up in the suburbs/exurbs. I've never grown up in the inner city. I grew up in a conservative area. It has fallen victim to the drug problems of exurban areas. I also dealt with alot of problems living there because I couldn't adjust to the culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies