Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I used to have to go to Oklahoma for work a lot when I drove OTR, and imo Oklahoma and Kansas are the two most depressing states in this whole country

Except for Overland Park and Shawnee, and a few parts of KCKS (all in Kansas), and Midtown Tulsa, and the area near Garth Brooks' ranch (near Tulsa), both in Oklahoma, I agree with you that they are depressing. Maybe/maybe not re most depressing, but those two states are at least near the top of a most depressing list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
If Oklahoma City is so conservative, why did it kick out the Republican incumbent Congressman and replace him with a Democrat? Yet, for being conservative, it recently elected it's first openly gay city councilman. When evaluating Oklahoma, never forget there can be a large amount of political difference between rural and urban areas.

Meanwhile, why do Oklahoma City residents seem to love their city? Maybe it's because they are willing to do what conservatives on here absolutely abhor. They vote for new civic projects to make city government even bigger. That always requires keeping the city sales tax up. For starters, it has been street cars for downtown and this new just opened new city park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb0lV3kcPaw

Old 10-23-2019, 12:51 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Have you ever been there? It's actually a very nice city, and I wouldn't mind living there. Not that it's perfect, by any means. The weather isn't so great, and it's as flat as a pancake (almost). But even with those qualifiers, I'd take it over Los Angeles any day.

I've been there. Not for me, but not bad either. Lots of cities I would choose over it, but no big deal.

Is it okay that not everyone likes it or does everyone have to?

Not one single place where I have lived is perfect. People just seem to love denouncing places and people far from where they live just for the heck of it.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
It's all fun and games until your house gets levelled by a tornado. California gets earthquakes, but only very rarely severe enough to do any damage.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Cost of living:

Oklahoma City: 84.5
Los Angeles: 173.3

(USA average = 100)

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

So for those who don't get murdered, Oklahoma City is a much cheaper place to live than Los Angeles.
Bear in mind that Oklahoma has the world's highest rate of imprisonment for men. Women in Oklahoma like to shoplift and do drugs a lot, so Oklahoma has the highest rate of imprisonment for women as well. Republicans, while being dragged and screaming, have slowly gone along with prison reform, so those distinctions may not last much longer.

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2019 at 01:50 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's all fun and games until your house gets levelled by a tornado. California gets earthquakes, but only very rarely severe enough to do any damage.
Oklahoma also gets earthquakes, but thankfully they have in most recent years subsided in both strength and frequency after peaking out in 2016 at 5.8 magnitude. https://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes

In Oklahoma, huge hail storms and ice storms are just a big, if not bigger, nuisance than tornadoes. So the low cost of living doesn't include lower home and car insurance.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:10 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If Oklahoma City is so conservative, why did it kick out the Republican incumbent Congressman and replace him with a Democrat? Yet, for being conservative, it recently elected it's first openly gay city councilman. When evaluating Oklahoma, never forget there can be a large amount of political difference between rural and urban areas.

Meanwhile, why do Oklahoma City residents seem to love their city? Maybe it's because they are willing to do what conservatives on here absolutely abhor. They vote for new civic projects to make city government even bigger. That always requires keeping the city sales tax up. For starters, it has been street cars for downtown and this new just opened new city park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb0lV3kcPaw

Nice park, but in my experience, the best feature of Oklahoma City is the nice people.

The people I've encountered there have pretty much universally been friendly and nice.

I used to enjoy the television series Saving Grace, with Holly Hunter and Laura San Giacomo.

One episode inspired me to want to visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial.

When I did visit the Memorial (while that show was still on the air), I parked on a street nearby and started to plug the meter. After one coin, I started looking in a different part of my backpack for change. A woman about half a block away on the other side of the street shouted to me to not put any more money in the meter. She started making her way over to me quickly. She looked as though she might be heading to an important event, possibly a wedding. She was wearing heels, was quite overweight, and it wasn't easy for her to move that quickly in those heels. When she got to me, she was almost out of breath. She told me that the meters didn't need to be plugged that day (I can't remember if it was re the particular day of the week, or if it was a local holiday, or what), and she didn't want me to waste any money. It was so sweet that she went to that trouble.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I used to have to go to Oklahoma for work a lot when I drove OTR, and imo Oklahoma and Kansas are the two most depressing states in this whole country
But Kansas is a far more depressing state, due to the landscape being much more consistently ruler flat and its two biggest metros being considerably smaller. Where can you go on a drive in the mountains like this in Kansas starting at 4:00?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SidUk8feID8

Old 10-23-2019, 01:22 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
My only issue with Living in Oklahoma is the living in Oklahoma part.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:25 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Lovecrowds is also a gay dude.
LOL oops. One of those days obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies