Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 01:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Supply and demand.

Costs are low when demand is low.

It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 02:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Have you ever been there? It's actually a very nice city, and I wouldn't mind living there. Not that it's perfect, by any means. The weather isn't so great, and it's as flat as a pancake (almost). But even with those qualifiers, I'd take it over Los Angeles any day.
Oklahoma City is alright if you visit around this time of year. If you come in May when there's tornado warnings almost daily as well as hail storms and flash flooding, it's not so fun. If you come in July when it's 105 with 90% humidity, it's not so fun. If you come in February when it's in the teens with a 40 MPH north wind or after an ice storm that has knocked out the power for days if not weeks, it's not fun. If living somewhere with at least some kind of natural/scenic beauty is important to you, you probably won't care for Oklahoma City. Also if you aren't white, straight, conservative, and Southern Baptist you'll probably not find OKC to be ideal. It's large enough that it's fairly diverse but the dominant conservative culture can be imposing at times. To it's credit, north-central OKC is fairly progressive. The state finally has normal alcohol laws.

Most hardcore conservatives would be disappointed by how big the cannabis industry is in Oklahoma right now. It's easier to find a dispensary in OKC than in Denver at the current time. On the flip side they will probably like the way the city skyline is lit up in December. A lot of cities, including NYC, used to do this in the 1940s and 1950s but OKC still does.

Last edited by bawac34618; 10-23-2019 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-23-2019, 02:21 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If that many people who live in Oklahoma City think it's that great, I'm all in favor of them staying there. After all, someone has to live there and it certainly isn't going to be me.
Oh I get it. I'm a rare transplant and its amazing that the native Okies love it so much. I think its because they have no culture and have never been anywhere else. Its 85% because the other 15% are either liberal or transplants and feel like they're in the twilight zone.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:25 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
bawac despises Oklahoma with every fiber of his being. Why he hasn't moved away from there, I can't imagine. But he is about as impartial towards his state as lovecrowds is towards California. Maybe even less so.
He hasn't moved because he's saving money to do so. He will in 2020. I hope I will move too. Gotta get back east.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:28 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
My ex-wife and I drove through OKC once and literally the first person we met asked us: "are you Indian or something?".

We are hispanic.

Never again will I come to Oklahoma.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,216,666 times
Just to share some facts - Oklahoma County (population almost 800K, including most of Oklahoma City and many suburbs) actually has a pretty diverse population. Based on 2018 estimates, it is 55.7% non Hispanic white; 17.8% Hispanic; 15.8% Black; 4.3% Native American; 3.6% Asian; 5.4% mixed race. The Hispanic proportion is about the same as the national average, while the Black and Native American proportions are higher. It's not New York, Miami or Los Angeles, but isn't exactly the rural heartland of decades ago either.

Census Bureau QuickFacts

Old 10-23-2019, 03:23 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My ex-wife and I drove through OKC once and literally the first person we met asked us: "are you Indian or something?".

We are hispanic.

Never again will I come to Oklahoma.
LOL. That certainly is as good a reason as any.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seems like Oklahoma City residents: Love their city with 85% rating it as excellent or good, Love the way President Trump is running the country as Oklahoma overwhelmingly voted for President Trump, Love their churches who teach conservative family values and the highest of morals.The good conservatives at many stations in OKC are paying $2.05 to $2.10 a gallon as opposed to liberals in San Francisco paying $4.33 on average.https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Oklahoma
https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=CAhttps://okcfox.com/news/local/survey...ight-directionI wonder if Baltimore, Detroit and Los Angeles would have 85% of their residents rating their city as "excellent or good".
It looks like the Republicans who run Oklahoma City like a very, very diverse economy that sent their unemployment down to 2.6% in April.
No, wonder a vast majority of residents love their conservative city!https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwes...macity_msa.htmIt seems like Oklahomans love their rock-bottom taxes, gas prices that are less than half the price of San Francisco or Los Angeles at many stations around their lush, green oasis.OKC: 3,900 square foot mansion with it's own 7.5 acre park for $200,000 about 20 minutes from their active and vibrant clean-cultured downtown.
Denver $649,000 for a 2 bedroom home built in 1885 with the houses next door able to hear every sneeze and cough and in a very rough area.
Los Angeles $925,000 for a 2 bedroom home in close proximity to third-world disease and the stench of garbage, urine and feces close by.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,1
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...13310712_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...20742448_zpid/
How is this political or controversial?

Oklahoma residents like Oklahoma City. So--ok. Good for them. And? Lots of people like where they live. That is why they live there usually.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:57 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Milquetoast city with tornadoes. No thanks!

But I guess everyone has to live somewhere.

BTW, is this thread trying to suggest that residents of largely Democratic cities are unhappy?

Old 10-23-2019, 03:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Milquetoast city with tornadoes. No thanks!

But I guess everyone has to live somewhere.

BTW, is this thread trying to suggest that residents of largely Democratic cities are unhappy?
It is. OP is a very right wing partisan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies