Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 10:42 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Just another smarter than thou prog showing off

"I wanted to be an enganeer so I wents to skool and now I is one"
"Is our children learning?" -- President George Bush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A call to violence to "save the earth".

Sounds logical and moral to me. Just the kind of world I want to keep around to live in.
We can save the Earth without violence. Help our environment to be cleaner anyway. Let's not let the collateral issues keep us from maintaining the focus where it needs to be. Not all that different from promoting a worthwhile sports event despite the hooligans who sometimes prefer to brawl. Right?

Old 10-25-2019, 10:46 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
The scientists have done their "job" in the sense of being socially responsible and notifying the general public about the problem. It is the oil/coal money-driven politics that is attempting to introduce biases into the studies. But I'm not worried about the scientists; they're intelligent, well-educated people and can manage the conflicts.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:47 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We can save the Earth without violence. Help our environment to be cleaner anyway. Let's not let the collateral issues keep us from maintaining the focus where it needs to be. Not all that different from promoting a worthwhile sports event despite the hooligans who sometimes prefer to brawl. Right?
Voting is violence. Having "leaders" is violence.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Just curious... what incentives do scientists have for exaggerating or falsifying climate change research results?

Most research funding comes from government and industry grants, and both of those entities are actively campaigning against research and actions that support climate change.
I used to work for a large energy company and in addition to your question is what money or incentive does industry have to thwart what scientists are warning us about. It's order-of-magnitude far greater than any incentives or money scientists are enjoying to simply point out what the science is telling us. Exclude scientists who let their bias bend them toward personal profits or gains, and the scales tilt even further toward all those in business who are in business entirely for the sake of their personal gain, just like I was!

I mean you would think some of these conservatives read the story of David and Goliath and can't tell who is the underdog or why!

Old 10-25-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
just who is denying climate change

the climate has changed two dozen time from glacial periods to interglacial periods and back....and it does it naturally

the ones that are in denial, are the ones who keep telling the lie of "man made"
Hero, I don't like to make this comment any more than necessary in this forum, but you have really just GOT to be kidding!

Who in this forum do you think is so ill informed that they don't know about prior periods of climate change? Are you so out of it that you don't know what this subject is all about today? Yes of course...

"The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives."

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

To take these sorts of facts and history and twist them into some sort of argument against recognizing how Man is now affecting climate change is simply FUBAR.

Maybe also a good reminder why this forum is a waste of time and why I best not waste any more here this morning as I move onto other things in need of fixing closer to home...

Old 10-25-2019, 11:04 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWinterSnow View Post
Do you or any libs on here drive a smart car for starter? exactly... pound salt
I don't own a car. I use public transit, and I haven't flown in 20 years. Pound sand.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:08 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I don't own a car. I use public transit, and I haven't flown in 20 years. Pound sand.

That's great, but don't expect people to like being lectured nor dictated to about their "carbon footprint"..

Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 AM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
I chuckled a little about the part of the article where some of the scientists felt pressure not to disagree with one another or it could become political fodder.

Hmmmm....that's REALLY a healthy way to engage in science and also to some extent validates that dissent can face repercussions.

Now me personally, I find all the arguing about global warming to be relatively silly. Let's assume it's 100% real and man-made, the US is only part of the problem and it's a proven fact that many of the other countries (Like China) will not participate or cheat on measures if they do....or talk a good game (Many Euro countries) and then not follow thru. (Go look at how the Kyoto signers fared on meeting their promises)

P.S. You can't even get the gov. of CA to step up and tell people that saving the planet can sometimes be a little expensive, instead the weasel tries to blame the oil companies.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:20 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,439 times
I do not believe in climate change as presented by popular media. Still, it seems reasonable to protect and care for one's environment. Whatever that looks like. Whatever that is.

Where I am that means eliminating water waste. I looked into what is recyclable and what uses more energy to recycle than throw away. It means not having the toys (electric or gas) that are popular in my area. It's a lifestyle that I choose and it goes way beyond the few things I mentioned. But a lot of what I do has no equivalent to urban/suburban dwellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies