Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Nope, not offended in the slightest.

Step off your high-horse.

Show me where I’m virtue signaling using Subarus, else put it back in the deck.

Oh come on! Practically everyone knows Subaru is a status symbol for many leftists. Unlike them, I've driven them since I was introduced to them by one of my foster parents at the age of 16, not because of their status symbol, rather because of their ability to go where few other vehicles can.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I’ll give you righties one thing, you do have a knack for master projection.

I notice you won't dare touch my initial comment which is our nation does not currently produce enough electricity to power electric vehicles nor can our current transmission nor distribution grids support it. Even if a buyback program to convert vehicles from fossil fuel to EV or hybrid were used, which you appear to support, our government has ZERO constitutional authority to manipulate the market like that. If the market drove such a thing, rather than money stolen from taxpayers in order to give to different taxpayers for engaging in what the government deems to be virtuous, rather than allowing the free market, where individuals choose based upon their own best interests, not influenced by moneys stolen from others, it would be perfectly fine for people to choose such things. As it is, every hybrid or EV gets subsidized by money stolen from all taxpayers to give to a few who choose to do as the government wants to mandate but cannot constitutionally.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:37 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Oh come on! Practically everyone knows Subaru is a status symbol for many leftists. Unlike them, I've driven them since I was introduced to them by one of my foster parents at the age of 16, not because of their status symbol, rather because of their ability to go where few other vehicles can.

Uhhh....you’re like two decades behind the times with your perception of what a “leftist” “status symbol” is.....

Lemme guess, you’re also mad at all the kids skateboarding on the sidewalk?

Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I notice you won't dare touch my initial comment which is our nation does not currently produce enough electricity to power electric vehicles nor can our current transmission nor distribution grids support it. Even if a buyback program to convert vehicles from fossil fuel to EV or hybrid were used, which you appear to support, our government has ZERO constitutional authority to manipulate the market like that. If the market drove such a thing, rather than money stolen from taxpayers in order to give to different taxpayers for engaging in what the government deems to be virtuous, rather than allowing the free market, where individuals choose based upon their own best interests, not influenced by moneys stolen from others, it would be perfectly fine for people to choose such things. As it is, every hybrid or EV gets subsidized by money stolen from all taxpayers to give to a few who choose to do as the government wants to mandate but cannot constitutionally.

You provided ZERO PROOF when asked, so yea, I left your baseless post untouched. Deal with it.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
You provided ZERO PROOF when asked, so yea, I left your baseless post untouched. Deal with it.

No one asked me to prove it and if they had, I would have stated that was my expert opinion as a retired electrical engineer from a fairly major electric utility. Our nation does not produce near enough electricity since the government mandated green energy via wind and solar farms, and cannot produce enough reliable electricity as more and more coal plants are shuttered due to mandates, even with President Trump rolling back on those mandates, knowing that they will be put back in place after he leaves office in 5 years.

This year, 2019, Great Britain had a major blackout with over 1 million users out due to a grid collapse in a high load season due to a single, as in ONE, wind farm AND it's subsequent back-up combined cycle natural gas plant going off line due to a lightning strike on the transmission line that carried the electricity produced to where it was needed. That single wind farm and back-up gas plant caused brown out conditions which prompted the protective schemes (Transmission Protection and Controls design is what I did as an electrical engineer) to open the protective breakers to prevent harm to other equipment, much more expensive equipment on that grid from failing. https://www.theguardian.com/business...blackout-ofgem

Then there was Texas, per Bloomberg which is NOT some right wing publication, where the normal cost of electricity produced was around $15 MW/hr to shoot up 40,000% to I believe it was $9,000.00 MW/hr COST because the wind just stopped blowing over a major portion of Texas and they rely on that wind. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-power-prices

So if you or anyone else wants to question why I make the claims I do, I assure you I can and will back them up.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:27 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Here's a little something for deniers to further consider and maybe for everyone to do more about too...

"And for ordinary citizens, it is important to recognize that scientists have done their job. It is now up to us to force our leaders to act upon what we know, before it is too late."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...climate-change
You might be taken more seriously if "there" was spelled correctly.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:34 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Here's a little something for deniers to further consider and maybe for everyone to do more about too...

"And for ordinary citizens, it is important to recognize that scientists have done their job. It is now up to us to force our leaders to act upon what we know, before it is too late."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...climate-change
Your desire to have us live small lives in deference to the global warming bogeyman is denied. Mankind has adapted to changing climate for centuries, and will continue to do so, leftist whining notwithstanding. My advice to you is to get used to it.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:03 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the minute ANY scientist claims that the science is settled, they should be summarily dismissed from the scientific community, because the science is NEVER settled. even the science of mathematics is always changing.
That is true, everything in the realm of science is fair game for further testing, analysis and modification. But that does not stop science from moving forward with the results at hand. For instance Newton's law of gravity was found to be an incomplete theory when Einstein's General Theory of Relativity came out, but that has not stopped astronomers and planetary scientists from using Newton's law because it still solves a lot of problems to sufficient accuracy. AGW is not so much a theory as an application of existing science and so far the application is widely accepted and is being built upon. So, like Newton's law, AGW is not settled but it nevertheless is accepted enough that it is usable for formulating policy.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
No one asked me to prove it and if they had, I would have stated that was my expert opinion as a retired electrical engineer from a fairly major electric utility. Our nation does not produce near enough electricity since the government mandated green energy via wind and solar farms, and cannot produce enough reliable electricity as more and more coal plants are shuttered due to mandates, even with President Trump rolling back on those mandates, knowing that they will be put back in place after he leaves office in 5 years.

This year, 2019, Great Britain had a major blackout with over 1 million users out due to a grid collapse in a high load season due to a single, as in ONE, wind farm AND it's subsequent back-up combined cycle natural gas plant going off line due to a lightning strike on the transmission line that carried the electricity produced to where it was needed. That single wind farm and back-up gas plant caused brown out conditions which prompted the protective schemes (Transmission Protection and Controls design is what I did as an electrical engineer) to open the protective breakers to prevent harm to other equipment, much more expensive equipment on that grid from failing. https://www.theguardian.com/business...blackout-ofgem

Then there was Texas, per Bloomberg which is NOT some right wing publication, where the normal cost of electricity produced was around $15 MW/hr to shoot up 40,000% to I believe it was $9,000.00 MW/hr COST because the wind just stopped blowing over a major portion of Texas and they rely on that wind. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-power-prices

So if you or anyone else wants to question why I make the claims I do, I assure you I can and will back them up.

Yes, someone most certainly did ask you to prove it, which is also to say you still haven’t.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:29 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Your desire to have us live small lives in deference to the global warming bogeyman is denied. Mankind has adapted to changing climate for centuries, and will continue to do so, leftist whining notwithstanding. My advice to you is to get used to it.

Thank you. Another one here who says he is DEMIED! No you can not dictate to me. Freaking Progressive control freaks. Climate change is just communist oppression by another name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies