Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 11:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right, insurance is voluntary while UHC is compulsory. Nobody is against insurance.
Then why are you opposed to UHC? All the UHC systems I am aware of (in other countries) are run as insurance. Only without shareholders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 11:30 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Then why are you opposed to UHC? All the UHC systems I am aware of (in other countries) are run as insurance. Only without shareholders.
Because you have to put a gun on people’s head and force them to join.

And not everybody is paying the same amount according to their risk. Insurance premium is calculated based on risks.

That’s evil.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:46 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
No ordinary american can pay on their own for serious medical treatment.
That's why you earn/buy health insurance. It's a choice. Your body. Your choice.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I have insurance. So yes, other people helped me to pay. And in turn, I help other people. THAT'S HOW INSURANCE WORKS. I don't think that means I am forcing them.
You're not. Having health insurance whether bought or earned is voluntary. It stops being voluntary when some are forced into slave labor to pay others' bills, i.e. single-payer public health care funded by taxpayers.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right, insurance is voluntary while UHC is compulsory. Nobody is against insurance.
Exactly!

Old 10-29-2019, 12:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You must be independently wealthy then. The average deductible these days is $5,000. I don't have that, and most people don't either
I have that but it be a big blow.. On top of that if I had a serious medical issue and had to miss months of work, best case I'd go on disability and lose at least half my income.. Worst case I'd get none or LOSE my job because of it..

This is why something needs to change.. People are one car accident or health incident away from bankruptcy in our current system and even if they recover healthwise (which isnt as often as we want to think) They wont recover financially either

Old 10-29-2019, 12:32 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's pretty standard for the trucking industry these days, unless you land a union job. The teamsters have better benefits
But unions are EVIL according to the right wingers here

Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,667,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I have that but it be a big blow.. On top of that if I had a serious medical issue and had to miss months of work, best case I'd go on disability and lose at least half my income.. Worst case I'd get none or LOSE my job because of it..

This is why something needs to change.. People are one car accident or health incident away from bankruptcy in our current system and even if they recover healthwise (which isnt as often as we want to think) They wont recover financially either
You can make payments to hospitals to meet your deductible, interest free, and they'll take just about any amount per month.

People are way too dramatic.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
I went to the ER for a few hours a couple months back. The bill was $20,000.

If you could afford to pay that out of your own pocket, you're not "Working Class".

I didn't make the rules here.
and I am willing to bet, that if you said "I am paying cash" that it would have been only 10% to 20% of that

and you CAN pay over time, and hospitals generally don't charge interest

Old 10-29-2019, 12:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
But unions are EVIL according to the right wingers here
its not that unions are evil... it is that they have become a corporation...IOW what they were formed to fight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies