Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 07:42 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,822,744 times

Advertisements

Because they have places to go. Just like you OP. Your need to fly is no more important than that of anyone else. If you don’t like it, stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 07:48 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,389,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I had one of the most miserable flights of my life yesterday. Screaming baby directly behind me (thank god only a 3 hour flight). This kid had the loudest, most piercing scream I had ever heard-had a splitting headache by the end of the flight (compounded of course by not being able to nap on a morning flight). I don't blame the child-babies do that. I blame the parents for being so selfish as to subject all the other travelers to this. There are few reasons to ever do air travel with a very young one, too young to be able to understand things like "inside voice". A disease that requires specialized treatment at a distant hospital comes to mind. Perhaps a dying grandparent that only gets this one opportunity to see their grand child. But beyond that??? How selfish do you have to be to do this? And how little do you care about your child to subject them to this (obviously the child wasn't enjoying the trip).

Yes, I know, not political. But I expect controversy.
Even more annoying is when people travel with toddlers and allow them to do what they want. I have a friend who has a toddler and she doesn't believe in discipline. She lets him do whatever he wants, of course harming him in the process, but she doesn't understand that and instead thinks she is being a good parent. When she flies, she just lets him kick and scream and do what he wants, then asks why he is doing this. A good spanking is in order.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,190,015 times
People have various reasons to travel. It’s not about you. If you can’t handle it, stay home.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:46 AM

7,491 posts, read 6,274,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I had one of the most miserable flights of my life yesterday. Screaming baby directly behind me (thank god only a 3 hour flight). This kid had the loudest, most piercing scream I had ever heard-had a splitting headache by the end of the flight (compounded of course by not being able to nap on a morning flight). I don't blame the child-babies do that. I blame the parents for being so selfish as to subject all the other travelers to this. There are few reasons to ever do air travel with a very young one, too young to be able to understand things like "inside voice". A disease that requires specialized treatment at a distant hospital comes to mind. Perhaps a dying grandparent that only gets this one opportunity to see their grand child. But beyond that??? How selfish do you have to be to do this? And how little do you care about your child to subject them to this (obviously the child wasn't enjoying the trip).

Yes, I know, not political. But I expect controversy.
Yep, same experience, only 3X worse. Non stop, Atlanta to Hawaii. My wife had to sit beside her.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:55 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,730,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I suppose we should also not stay in hotels or go to restaurants with children either.

Parents should lock themselves inside their home and not come out until the children are 4 years old...
That’s not a bad idea. If you MUST come on the plane with unruly children, at least seat yourselves at the back of the plane.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Nope I’ll gladly take the little humans with me. I like having a life and children are a part of it.

Grumpy old people like the OP should drive and eat alone in their house, not me.
Why is the OP called “grumpy” simply because she wants to fly in comfort? She paid for a flight, not to be tortured by other passengers.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:10 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,673,894 times
It's not healthy for the baby. Their immune systems aren't too strong and they can catch a lot of infections that way.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:10 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,485,578 times
I`ve often wondered why people insist on flying to Disney or wherever for a family vacation with a one or two year old. Making arrangements for a child safety seat in a rental car and/or dragging a stroller along with them is ridiculous. A child at that age will not remember anything about the trip and the child and parents will both be miserable. Flying with a child to visit far flung family members is excusable IMO but parents dragging babies along to a place because that`s where mom and dad want to go is selfish. Can they not wait a couple years for a trip like that?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,277,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`ve often wondered why people insist on flying to Disney or wherever for a family vacation with a one or two year old. Making arrangements for a child safety seat in a rental car and/or dragging a stroller along with them is ridiculous. A child at that age will not remember anything about the trip and the child and parents will both be miserable. Flying with a child to visit far flung family members is excusable IMO but parents dragging babies along to a place because that`s where mom and dad want to go is selfish. Can they not wait a couple years for a trip like that?
Most people that are going to Disney World with a baby, also have other children who are old enough to enjoy it. If there are people going with just 1 baby, they are in the minority. Probably one of those types of people who went to Disney world before they even had children.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Wear noise cancelling headphones. Problem solved. Or take a bus, train or boat. People who travel with babies are not being selfish. They have a right to fly just like everyone else. I object to the tons of perfume and cologne that men and women put on. It's nauseating. I'd rather hear a crying baby then getting ill smelling the person rows away from me.
In this day and era, some are woefully dependent on air flight to get around for business or pleasure. Unfortunately, the Buck Rogers flying suits never came to fruition. Our American lifestyle doesn’t really allow most of us generous vacations/PTO unless self-employed, retired or in a generous company situation. As such, visiting family back “home” is difficult when you live far away from them. All other modes of transportation require MUCH MORE leisure time that most of us don’t have (We are not Europe). I lived in So Calif for 15 years and would always make the time to visit my Texas family 3-4 times/year.
Southwest Airlines used to let (maybe still does) allow parents with children choose their seats first. Maybe this was so that they might pick seating in the front of the plane? I would think that a parent would want to sit near a restroom? We are ALL better off if they sit in one section of the plane.
I’ve sat next to stinky passengers, morbidly obese ppl and screaming kids. Give me the stinky and/or obese ANY DAY of the week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies