Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So anytime people get upset when someone is committing a completely legal act, that person should be arrested?
When you see someone walking into a store wearing body armor and a tactical rifle with 100 rounds of ammunition, aren't you going to get the uneasy feeling that if something bad is going to soon happen that you're far from being prepared to deal with it, because you're not dressed the same way? Or do you say deal with it by praying to God not to allow anything bad to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Of course, we've seen this many times - the open-carry person is the FIRST target.

We've seen it in ..... and in ...... and in ........

Right. We've seen it in sooooo many places, I can't remember them all.

Please refresh my memory.
No wonder. It's because most people have better sense to openly carry. I rarely see anybody doing that, even more rarely so with a rifle, unless they're in the country hunting.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:05 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
When you see someone walking into a store wearing body armor and a tactical rifle with 100 rounds of ammunition, aren't you going to get the uneasy feeling that if something bad is going to soon

Uh. no. I see people open carry all the time in Missouri. Nothing unusual about it. Perfectly legal.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:10 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Uh. no. I see people open carry all the time in Missouri. Nothing unusual about it. Perfectly legal.
I live in springfield. I have seen a few in my 10 years here. never a rifle though...………..

Old 11-03-2019, 08:16 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
So anytime people get upset when someone is committing a completely legal act, that person should be arrested?
First of all, I didn't say this. And this thread is about this specific case. If what the perpetrator did and the time, place, and manner in which he did it was a completely legal act, then he wouldn't have said he was guilty, apologized, and been sentenced, so that's a moot point. He had an opportunity to take his appeal in any direction, he wanted but the criminal matter has already been adjudicated.

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Dmi...564219731.html

Last edited by Jowel; 11-03-2019 at 08:30 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 08:55 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Might not have broken any laws but he certainly caused some panic! Stupid to carry guns like that unless you are going in to stop a shooting (proving that is hard).

Old 11-03-2019, 09:29 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Luckily for Americans, you don't get to tell people how they can protect themselves.
In this case, people protected themselves by dialing 9-1-1. Remember, there was a mass shooting in a Walmart in El Paso, TX back in August. A person killed 22 and injured 24 in that mass shooting. It is not far fetched to be concerned that this could of been another mass shooting. Like a copycat. Yes. Maybe human life means little to you but it means a lot to me. Good night.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
You already said the first sentence. You have the right to do that too but your attorney is the one who would come out well on this one. I'm sure your attorney would appreciate you helping him buy his new beach house with a lawsuit that you have very little, if any, chance in winning. Besides the person calling the police for assistance over a suspicious person or alleged (at that point) crime isn't the judge or the jury. They're simply calling because something seems off about a situation as it did here, which is perfectly reasonable, and they're rights as citizens. You don't get to decide who calls the police over a suspicious person concern or not.

Warren v. DC, already settled that.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
In this case, people protected themselves by dialing 9-1-1. Remember, there was a mass shooting in a Walmart in El Paso, TX back in August. A person killed 22 and injured 24 in that mass shooting. It is not far fetched to be concerned that this could of been another mass shooting. Like a copycat. Yes. Maybe human life means little to you but it means a lot to me. Good night.
A constitutional right, cannot be made into a crime. Civil rights payday.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket...an-bernardino/
1.3 million payday

Old 11-04-2019, 02:22 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
I'm very pro gun rights and in today's world, walking into a busy Walmart with a rifle and dressed up in tactical gear isn't too smart... Did he break any laws? I'm not sure since I don't know the laws of that State. But, without question, did he alarm the public into fearing for their immediate safety? Yes he did and without question people were afraid for their safety.

To be honest, in today's world, people are on the edge to crazies shooting up public places. He's lucky that some Joe Citizen with a concealed weapons permit didn't take him out. If Joe Citizen would have shot him, I would hope that the State's Attorney's Office wouldn't press any charges.

This young man did a stupid thing and had to pay a price for his actions. I'm sure he was convicted of a felony since he was given a period of probation, which will bar him from legally owning firearms in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies