Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 07:48 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

Interesting reading some of the comments.

Now, if it were an article discussing jokes about certain races or mocking gender, I'm pretty certain these people getting all upset over old people jibes would be the same ones crying about P.C. run amok and people needing to lighten up.

Cruel jokes about the old are everywhere. When will we face our ageism epidemic?

Quote:
Partly because no one, it seems, is ever “called out” for ageism – I can’t think of one public figure who has been “cancelled” for mocking the aged – I persuaded myself that, as an older person, I was being hypersensitive. But then, this past weekend, on the Weekend Update segment, the cast member Micheal Che told a series of jokes about a report that a Chinese woman in her 60s had given birth. The labor, Che noted, had involved an unusual amount of “friction” and (I may be slightly misquoting here) the delivery had been like “removing a penny from a wad of chewing gum”. Moreover, he added, the new mother could nurse simply by leaning over the crib. The audience laughed. I winced. My husband said: “Ouch.”

I tried to think of another demographic – Asians? African Americans? Women? Members of the LGBT community? – who would have been the object of humor quite so cruel, so barbed, so personal. But it’s not only in the sphere of comedy, and on network TV, that the old are discussed in ways that would never be tolerated by (or about) another group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:06 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,964,561 times
It’s only a matter of time until some useless boomer puts it on a T-shirt and this meme gets co-opted and turned around on them. Until then I just say: OK gamer!

Old 11-10-2019, 08:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
The so- called mainstream culture in the US has long been unfriendly towards elderly.

We seem to enjoy using broad brushes to paint every generation.

Taking offense is a personal choice.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:19 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Given how we baby boomers have so screwed up this planet, who can blame them.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:22 AM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times
All one need do is read the comments here on POC regarding candidates for POTUS.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
I tried to think of another demographic – Asians? African Americans? Women? Members of the LGBT community? – who would have been the object of humor quite so cruel, so barbed, so personal. But it’s not only in the sphere of comedy, and on network TV, that the old are discussed in ways that would never be tolerated by (or about) another group.
The obese get hammered, more so than any other group. That bothers me more than ageism, even though I’m part of the old group and not the obese group, because I have seen what it does to the soul of the poundage challenged. Let’s face it, some people just enjoy being cruel and they are always going to find themselves a target.

Besides, my experience is that we old tend to sling it equally to the young, only when we do it we act like we are being wise, solemn sages instead of pretending like we are being witty and entertaining.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting reading some of the comments.

Now, if it were an article discussing jokes about certain races or mocking gender, I'm pretty certain these people getting all upset over old people jibes would be the same ones crying about P.C. run amok and people needing to lighten up.

Cruel jokes about the old are everywhere. When will we face our ageism epidemic?
I agree that the Michael Che's joke was pretty raunchy--and bad taste in general, but it did not strike me as ageist.

The thing about making jokes about older people and aging is that we will all be there at some point and everyone is aware of that. So in a way they are making fun of themselves. Everyone ages.

Ageism needs to be addressed in the workplace, where it is a very real problem. The jokes are the least of it.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:22 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
The cruelist old joke I know of is sitting in the White House.

Ken

Old 11-10-2019, 09:24 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The obese get hammered, more so than any other group. That bothers me more than ageism, even though I’m part of the old group and not the obese group, because I have seen what it does to the soul of the poundage challenged. Let’s face it, some people just enjoy being cruel and they are always going to find themselves a target.

Besides, my experience is that we old tend to sling it equally to the young, only when we do it we act like we are being wise, solemn sages instead of pretending like we are being witty and entertaining.
I take a bit of an opposite view.

I think ageist insults are stupid since everyone gets old and dies. Life is short and the youth of today will be old and on the way out before too long, surely they will change their perception about intolerance toward the elderly at that point.

On the other hand, virtually no one has to be obese and that outcome typically results from a lazy, uninformed, uncaring, and short sighted attitude toward life that usually revolves around instant gratification. If you don’t even care about your body to the extent you would abuse it to that degree I really have a hard time respecting those people’s opinions on anything else.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Making rude comments about the older generation is nothing new.
Making rude comments about the younger generation is nothing new.

Basically, people will make rude comments about anyone if they can get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies