Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times

Advertisements

I love Frontline's well-done, wide-ranging investigations, and I think this should be of interest to everyone.

This is called "in the Age of AI" (artificial intelligence). But it's not just about AI. It covers things like encroaching data collection and surveillance.

It will probably be re-broadcast in the near future on your local PBS station, and otherwise you will probably be able to get it through your library.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...the-age-of-ai/

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...-hour-special/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I love Frontline's well-done, wide-ranging investigations, and I think this should be of interest to everyone.

This is called "in the Age of AI" (artificial intelligence). But it's not just about AI. It covers things like encroaching data collection and surveillance.

It will probably be re-broadcast in the near future on your local PBS station, and otherwise you will probably be able to get it through your library.

Data collection is the heart of AI. The AI I deal with is fed by the responses it gets surveying the area where it is deployed. It creates models and makes changes every 60 seconds. It takes humans a week to review and make recommendations on the same data. For the human fed optimization it takes about 3 months.
AI does it in a couple of days.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:21 PM

1,086 posts, read 442,750 times
interesting, thanks for posting. Full episode is on first link.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:

Ed Snowden tried to warn us about all the complex surveillance going on these days and he had to run to Russia to escape arrest...Im guessing this program will not be divulging 'too much' information on the topic.

Seems like shows like this only contribute to making people MORE conditioned and brainwashed, making them believe the days of privacy are long gone and we all should just learn to accept that and deal with it. LOL

Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ed Snowden tried to warn us about all the complex surveillance going on these days and he had to run to Russia to escape arrest...Im guessing this program will not be divulging 'too much' information on the topic.

Seems like shows like this only contribute to making people MORE conditioned and brainwashed, making them believe the days of privacy are long gone and we all should just learn to accept that and deal with it. LOL
The only thing Ed Snowden did, was confirm what we, well most of us any way, already know. Quaint for people to think they have a 'right' to privacy and that surveillance by Big Brother is new.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:

Funny you would mention that because Frontline has two piece series that focuses a considerable amount on Manning and Snowden.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...es-of-secrets/

Out of all the news types shows you can find IMO Frontline is the best one available. They typically don't gloss over anything and give you all the information from all perspectives.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:54 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Quote:

I hope you won't mind my providing a slight correction. Snowden didn't just "try" to warn us - he was successful and even managed to get it to stay in the news longer than similar news from his predecessors. And he didn't "run to Russia" - he was passing through Russia and got stuck there when the U.S. cancelled his passport.

If you watch the program, I don't believe you'll think this makes you more brainwashed, but rather makes you more alert and prone to push back on encroachments in America.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:58 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Data collection is the heart of AI. The AI I deal with is fed by the responses it gets surveying the area where it is deployed. It creates models and makes changes every 60 seconds. It takes humans a week to review and make recommendations on the same data. For the human fed optimization it takes about 3 months.
AI does it in a couple of days.
I'm also a software dev that has done work in AI systems, and I cringe at the public perception of this.

This idea that we are even close to something like Skynet taking over the world couldn't be more absurd.

We are talking about systems programed by humans to carry out very specific tasks, and people are upset because the greater efficiency of data analysis in very specific applications is taking away the need to apply a greater amount of lower efficiency manpower to solve the same problems.

The other thing most people need to understand is that most things that are called AI are not general intelligence projects, though research on general intelligence does exist and is attempting to be modeled using computing systems.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:16 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
Yes I enjoyed that episode. It was insightful and chilling. Frontline puts out a lot of good, in-depth news stories.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:

Finished watching --- it was good. As always, the nature of humanity rests in human hands and their tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Funny you would mention that because Frontline has two piece series that focuses a considerable amount on Manning and Snowden.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...es-of-secrets/

Out of all the news types shows you can find IMO Frontline is the best one available. They typically don't gloss over anything and give you all the information from all perspectives.
Still viewing; not finding anything too surprising. CIA found out about 9/11 same most everyone else did, by turning on their ($300.00) t.v. sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies