Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times

Advertisements

This will probably overturn the law created by Congress to protect the manufacturers.

Supreme Court refuses to block lawsuit against gun manufacturer brought by Sandy Hook families

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ies/ar-BBWE9Iw

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court refused Tuesday to shield a major arms manufacturer from potential liability in the 2012 school shooting that left 26 students and educators dead in Newtown, Conn.

The justices' action allows a lawsuit filed by parents of Sandy Hook Elementary School victims to move forward at the state level, on the allegation that Remington Arms marketed the military-style rifle used in the mass shooting "for use in assaults against human beings."

The case tests the reach of a 2005 law passed by Congress to protect firearms manufacturers from being held liable for crimes committed by gun purchasers. That law was hailed by the National Rifle Association, but it included exceptions, including one for violating rules related to marketing and

Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Excellent! Now I can sue all the food companies for me being fat.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,425,625 times
I've said before that the SCOTUS, even the conservative side does not subscribe to the gun nut position.

Even Scalia said reasonable restrictions on guns were fully constitutional.

Most people support the 2nd but also support reasonable restrictions for public safety.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Good. I am sure you have waited a long time. Its not fun being fat.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I've said before that the SCOTUS, even the conservative side does not subscribe to the gun nut position.

Most people support the 2nd but also support reasonable restrictions for public safety.
Very true. The first part of the 2nd Amendment surely had safety in mind for members of the militia and the public: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Old 11-12-2019, 10:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,775,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This will probably overturn the law created by Congress to protect the manufacturers.
No, it cannot. When SCOTUS declines to hear a case it sets no precedent that can be used in other cases and it does not affect the law as it is written. It just means they won't overturn the lower court's decision.

In any event this is not "anti-gun". Responsible marketing has always been grounds for a law suit for any product except guns. This allows the manufacturer to be sued for irresponsible marketing.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM

18,464 posts, read 7,103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

1. Didn't know Scalia was old enough to be one of the Founders.

2. Who gets to define "reasonable restrictions"?

What's reasonable to you might not be reasonable to me.

3. Exactly where in the 2nd amendment are the words "except" or "reasonable restrictions"?

Old 11-12-2019, 10:46 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times
Quote:

Supreme Court refuses to block lawsuit against gun manufacturer brought by Sandy Hook families

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court refused Tuesday to shield a major arms manufacturer from potential liability in the 2012 school shooting that left 26 students and educators dead in Newtown, Conn.

The justices' action allows a lawsuit filed by parents of Sandy Hook Elementary School victims to move forward at the state level, on the allegation that Remington Arms marketed the military-style rifle used in the mass shooting "for use in assaults against human beings."

The case tests the reach of a 2005 law passed by Congress to protect firearms manufacturers from being held liable for crimes committed by gun purchasers. That law was hailed by the National Rifle Association, but it included exceptions, including one for violating rules related to marketing and
what did Remington have to do with the shooting???..... especially when the sicko's mother is the one who bought the weapons legally (and was the first killed)

Old 11-12-2019, 10:46 AM

764 posts, read 235,811 times
Quote:

Not the slightest chance. The suit will focus narrowly on marketing....... not liability of use.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:47 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,775,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Only if they marketed a food item as one that will lower your weight when they knew it would not. This law suit is about lying in product marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies