Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 08:13 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Note that this seems to address many of the pundits here....because it includes colleges of pharmacy, maritime, etc. which are "trades".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...s/?arc404=true

The bottom line, tho, if - AFTER DEBT - college grads make almost 900K more over a 40 year period after graduation.

Good article is that it challenges each individual to ask themselves "what do I want to learn - what and who do I want to be?" before committing to debt, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,145 times
This is good. I'm in favor of a gap year for a lot of students to figure things out about their lives and what they want to do with their lives. I work in the skilled trades, trust me there is good and bad with every industry. Even though I make more than the average master degree holder in the US (2015 Georgetown study), I realized I'm not the general rule, I'm the outlier in this situation. Although I am now going to college after working in the trades for about 10 years.

People have to come to the decision of what will be best for them and build on their passion and interests. It isn't going to be a one size fits all approach to life that will bring you happiness and success.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:19 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
This survey makes no sense to me. There is no explanation on how the return on investment was calculated. My return on investment shows as a million dollars. I believe my lifetime gross earnings were about $2 million. How can they determine what they would have been without a college degree?
One fallacy here is that people who do graduate college are probably more ambitious and goal driven than those who don't. But people who are ambitious and goal driven do well in all sorts of fields where a degree is not needed, especially if they work for themselves, or are in trades.
I'd like to know how these statistics were compiled. I just can't take them at face value. For example, how can they know by college what people's lifetime earnings were? I never mentioned my college on my income tax. How many people were actually sampled? Did only people who did well in life respond?
My inclination is that these statistics are based on faulty assumptions and invalid methods.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-14-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
31 year old and 29 year old -sons- both making six figures -- both have college education. I'd say it worked for them

Old 11-14-2019, 10:25 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Yes, and the average debts after leaving college is about 25K and they want others to pay for it. Ridiculous.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:32 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
It depends on what you major in. There are a lot of worthless degrees for sale.

Medicine, law, accounting, and engineering are still worthwhile for most people. On the other hand, the sciences, history, languages, sociology, etc. are not worthwhile unless you are exceptionally talented.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:35 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
There are multiple ways of reckoning worth. There is the excitement of doing the thing you love, the satisfaction of doing worthwhile work, the pleasure of wealth, the lack of debt.

I think going into massive debt for education is a terrible way to begin working life. It is even worse if you don’t come out qualified and equipped for a lucrative career.

This my opinion: people should think twice about getting degrees in lower paying fields, especially if they have to take out large loans to get the degree.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:42 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
My son went to one of our military academies. He received a degree in economics. Now going to graduate school for his MBA. No college debt and set himself up for the future. However I have a ton of respect for the trades. When your ac stops working, if you have a leak in your pipes or your electric no longer works there is no more important person in the world than that person that can fix it!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:38 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
This is good. I'm in favor of a gap year for a lot of students to figure things out about their lives and what they want to do with their lives. I work in the skilled trades, trust me there is good and bad with every industry. Even though I make more than the average master degree holder in the US (2015 Georgetown study), I realized I'm not the general rule, I'm the outlier in this situation. Although I am now going to college after working in the trades for about 10 years.

People have to come to the decision of what will be best for them and build on their passion and interests. It isn't going to be a one size fits all approach to life that will bring you happiness and success.
Skilled trade + AS in business with accounting....

Old 11-14-2019, 12:07 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Skilled trade + AS in business with accounting....
Nice that’s awesome. I’m in the skilled trades HVAC and plumbing. I’m in school for computer science. I think it is great to have a trade to fall back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies