Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 04:13 PM

2,450 posts, read 977,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelatetransform View Post
thank you american business, and thank you president trump for your policies supporting free markets!
thank you president trump! 30,000 here we come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 04:18 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,444,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You need to measure by % increase, not absolute points.

This question has already been addressed. See chart at link below:

That said, that link measures it from the start of each president's inauguration, not after the election.

Markets respond to good news, i.e., Trump won.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The recover was slower than usual because the Republicans kept blocking Obama's policy which would have gotten the economy to an even higher high. The GOP even killed the Jobs Bill. The JOBS Bill!!!

Remember what the Republicans was saying back then what Obama should have done?? AUSTERITY!!!!! LOL!!!!

If it was the Republicans who were running the show we'd be exactly like Europe right now. Thank God Obama was in charge.

Orwellian euphemisms don't change the fact that governments, parasitic entities by definition, are incapable of creating real jobs.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,931,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Your ill wishes for American trade deficit is very apparent...
We have to run trade deficits in order to maintain the dollar’s status as the world’s reserve currency. (Triffin dilemma). Trade deficits are good for us. I suggest google Milton Friedman Free Trade

Old 11-15-2019, 06:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,716,635 times
I actually bought in about 10 days ago. I figure that the weaker Trump gets the better the market will do. In other words, it's a total circus right now and business isn't paying much attention to him any more since it's obvious he's a lame duck or a dead duck.

Assuming that is the case, we will all come out ahead.

On the other hand, the famous "Dow Passes 25,000" thread here is about 2 years old, so you must do the math. That's the very day Trump tax cuts and tariff threats started.

Since that time we are up 5.3% per year (for two years)....which is about 1/2 of the normal range. In addition, that 5% is after trillions more are added to the debt and deficit and interest rates are lowered so people can get in more debt

Not exactly winning.

It's amazing that anyone buys this back and forth...about 10+ times now of "The China deal is almost done" and the next week "The China deal is not even close".

Now Kudlow is talking about some "mini-me" China PR deal signed in his office without Trump or Xi. I think it's just so Trump can say "I got it done".

It's not called an accomplishment when you break things and then glue 1/2 of them back together.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:25 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,573,900 times
My prediction - Equities will have one final melt-up, with the DOW topping into the 30K-32K range. And then between July 2020-July 2021 equities will be down over 50% from those highs in a very painful deflationary recession.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:36 PM

40,977 posts, read 49,331,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The wealthy are very happy, the poor and homeless continue on the streets.
If you gave most of the homeless $20,000 most would still be homeless in 6 months.

High, stoned, mentally ill and homeless.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's because we were coming out of the Great Recession, and all economic recessions are followed by a big recovery. The Obama "recovery" was actually slower than one would expect, given the depth of the recession. Should have been twice the rate.

Now, when you take over after a recovery, it's much harder to keep building because you're not starting from such an awful point. Law of diminishing returns type of thing. The idea that we have gone up ANOTHER 40% in three years is truly remarkable. But then you would have to give Trump's pro-business policies credit, and we know we can't have that!
Further complicating matters is the fact that we have effectively run out of workers and businesses are competing for the ones we have by increasing wages and offering better benefits.

That is usually bad for Wall Street but good for Main Street.

When was the last time Wall Street and Main Street flourished together?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 PM

34,138 posts, read 17,206,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post
Thank you American Business, and THANK YOU President Trump for your policies supporting free markets!
This is amazing!

Old 11-15-2019, 09:25 PM

929 posts, read 401,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Trump is still playing catchup to Obama? I thought he'd have the battle wrapped up by now. Loser.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2481/sto...e-by-president
Seriously, Hussein Obama was the worst president of all time...let's see

- Benghazi attack, 4 Americans killed including an ambassador
- Operation fast and furious - 1 American killed, border patrol agent
- military was in shambles and the drawdown destroyed our readiness...
- gave Iran billions of dollars in exchange for a fake treaty

should I continue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies