Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 01:12 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,243,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Orwellian euphemisms don't change the fact that governments, parasitic entities by definition, are incapable of creating real jobs.

Government is the coach, players are the business and baskets are jobs. The coach set the system that allows the players to score. An incompetent coach would set the team behind by implementing a bad system, which the Republicans tried to do during the crisis by insisting on Austerity.

Obama opted for Keynesian, which absolutely without question was the correct system to use.

Trump is basically following the same system that Obama used but he doesn't realize this is not a system can be employed indefinitely without it blowing up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 03:24 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,751,944 times
"I didn't know the stock market could go that high"

Old 11-16-2019, 03:29 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 48,001,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post
Thank you American Business, and THANK YOU President Trump for your policies supporting free markets!
Friday's Dow was just glorious! 28,000. I knew yesterday morning that that number was going to climb to that point. Great things continue to be ahead for all Americans. Yes, all of us. Boeing had an incredible day.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 48,001,428 times
Default Great Future, Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The big danger of trump winning 2020? a 30,000 DOW.......

Hey, I'd like that. Bring it on!

Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,405,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Government is the coach, players are the business and baskets are jobs. The coach set the system that allows the players to score. An incompetent coach would set the team behind by implementing a bad system, which the Republicans tried to do during the crisis by insisting on Austerity.

Obama opted for Keynesian, which absolutely without question was the correct system to use.

Trump is basically following the same system that Obama used but he doesn't realize this is not a system can be employed indefinitely without it blowing up.

Government is a meth-head/***** that rents herself out to whatever international corporation (the John in this scenario) happens along looking for a special service, i.e., selling out working Americans.

In the last election, the two most prominent government meth-head/***** looking to sell out working Americans were Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush.

As for Keynesian Economics, it's a payola slush fund looking for a legitimate reason to exist.

Politicians like it because it gives them a way to launder tax dollars back into their campaign funds.

Unions, for example, are famous for returning (laundering, that is) a significant portion of the money Democrats steal for them from working Americans.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:47 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
hahahahah you have no facts to give...what's new, typical liberal response..zero..zilch..nada..
2017 is calling you!

Please note that the conversation has changed, even at City Data..........

And this thread is about the DOW.......which, if you want to discuss Obama, tripled under him....and even more if we included the results of his policies (Policies don't stop instantly when you leave office)..

Thanks for your reminder, tho. The GWB GOP Recession and the Wars and the failure to do things about health care are not good for the average American - but they are good for some businesses.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Friday's Dow was just glorious! 28,000. I knew yesterday morning that that number was going to climb to that point. Great things continue to be ahead for all Americans. Yes, all of us. Boeing had an incredible day.
I love it when people say UP UP UP after 2 years of really slow growth.

Boeing? Is it UP from the low lows? Or is it truly UP for 2019. Let's check.....hmmm...it was almost 450, now it is 370 and you are cheering?

Will you cheer each 10 points until it gets to where it WAS?

I have to wonder if people are really this ignorant of longer term finances or if they do it on purpose. Well, I should say I used to wonder. I don't any more. I think people are just ignorant of financial matters.

To wit......

The DOW would be over 50,000 today if NORMAL yearly returned were made in the past 20 years.

BUT, people cheer for 28K??

It just doesn't make any sense! We are still hurting from the GWB Great Recession and now we have manufacturing off, car sales off, debt up, GDP (increases) down (and most of it is Health care..which costs you!)....and people are cheering???

I mean - this is the thing. Trump ruins things and then stitches them slightly back together and people say it's a miracle. He sold Trump Taj in Atlantic City for 5 cents on the dollar. Even at that price I don't think it has turned a profit since.

Those who think "all Americans" are better off should do a bit of studying. In Florida, 46% of people are "not making ends meet" (United Way). That's MASSIVE - like 9 million people in that one state alone!

But, I guess the stock market makes good money from them...and their low wage jobs at WalMart, fast food, etc.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:28 AM

27,597 posts, read 28,706,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The DOW would be over 50,000 today if NORMAL yearly returned were made in the past 20 years.
Really? Where do you get that from?

The stock market was actually extremely overvalued by historical standards in 1999.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:14 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's because we were coming out of the Great Recession, and all economic recessions are followed by a big recovery. The Obama "recovery" was actually slower than one would expect, given the depth of the recession. Should have been twice the rate.

Now, when you take over after a recovery, it's much harder to keep building because you're not starting from such an awful point. Law of diminishing returns type of thing. The idea that we have gone up ANOTHER 40% in three years is truly remarkable. But then you would have to give Trump's pro-business policies credit, and we know we can't have that!
What you said is very true. Any president looks good coming out of a recession-just do nothing and let the economy recover. What is especially telling about Obama's "recovery" is previous history. The DOW was over 14000 in 2007. It took until 2013, 4 years into Obama's presidency, just to get back to that level. For those of us with 401K investments that was a dismal time. Obama's policies were distinctly anti-business and anti-job-growth (well, at least American jobs-his policies did wonders for other countries). In spite of the "recovery" and the natural growth of the DOW from a recession-in the first 3 years of Trump's presidency the DOW grew 4 times as much as it did in the first 3 years of Obamas.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:17 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,452,259 times
I read through most of this thread.... God, Democrats are wiling to cut their nuts off just to see the market in recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies