Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 05:27 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,715,266 times

Advertisements

The factor I was hearing is not so much that Republicans are leaving, but that Independents are registering as Democrats. Which surprises me, because what I'd heard for the last two or three elections was that Republicans were crossing to vote Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,554,916 times
This is hardly news.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:37 PM

900 posts, read 376,066 times
When Maricopa turns blue this day will be the beginning of the end of the Republican party in the state, that's what happened here in Colorado.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:52 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Interesting. I have been an IND all my life, but changed my registration to Democratic a couple weeks ago. It was mostly because I wanted to vote in the primary this year as our state might, for the first time, actually affect the outcome of the presidential race Also, I came to the realization that I will never split my vote again like I used to. The Republicans have left me cold with their social conservative agenda in AZ. They have gone off to the far right. I now either vote for the Democrat or not at all in that race if the Dem is a loser. Maricopa County flipped for Sinema and a couple other Dems pretty strongly - the western burbs especially - and like the poster above said, when Maricopa goes it's all over.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:55 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
My parents live in Arizona and what I hear from them is that the state is nowhere near blue or even purple for that matter. Anecdotal but I have seen it when I visit them. Take it with a grain of salt.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Republicans peaked in Arizona around 1998-2000. They’ve been on a long, painful slide in this state ever since.

To me, the turning point was Gabby Giffords taking over Jim Kolbe’s old district after 20 years in Republican control. That seemed to just energize the Democrats and the DNC started pouring money into congressional and senate races.

Janet Napolitano’s ascendancy to the governor’s manse was also key. That was a shock, but it definitely threw a lifeline to Arizona Democrats. The Republicans had run the state into the ground and embroiled the state in perpetual scandal.

The speed that this state went from red to deep purple is astonishing. It’s going solidly blue in a decade. And that’s a wonderful thing.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My parents live in Arizona and what I hear from them is that the state is nowhere near blue or even purple for that matter. Anecdotal but I have seen it when I visit them. Take it with a grain of salt.
Lol...your parents must not be able to see or hear.

That or they’re just completely oblivious. Better wake up.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:03 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That's probably because your parents only associate with people like them, and aren't seeing the demographic changes slowly happening across the state. Kelly (D) has a 5-point lead to take the Senate. If he wins Arizona will have two Democratic senators.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:11 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Republicans peaked in Arizona around 1998-2000. They’ve been on a long, painful slide in this state ever since.

To me, the turning point was Gabby Giffords taking over Jim Kolbe’s old district after 20 years in Republican control. That seemed to just energize the Democrats and the DNC started pouring money into congressional and senate races.

Janet Napolitano’s ascendancy to the governor’s manse was also key. That was a shock, but it definitely threw a lifeline to Arizona Democrats. The Republicans had run the state into the ground and embroiled the state in perpetual scandal.

The speed that this state went from red to deep purple is astonishing. It’s going solidly blue in a decade. And that’s a wonderful thing.
Arpaio finally getting booted out of office also a sign as well?

Old 11-27-2019, 06:13 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,923 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;56739125]Republicans peaked in Arizona around 1998-2000. They’ve been on a long, painful slide in this state ever since.

/QUOTE]

Not so fast...the huge influx of Californian's moving in will turn this around. They are predominately conservative.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies