Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,023,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
On illegal immigration:

Illegal immigration is worth billions of dollars annually to businesses large and small across the US. Illegal labor is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Neither party is going to put a dent in that. Effectively eliminating illegal labor is not in the interest of business, and documenting immigrant labor is not in the interest of business.

Business wants illegal labor to stay illegal because that's how they get away with paying slave wages with zero employer taxes and zero employee benefits.
which is also why business wants to do away with unions. If a work place has a union the wages are the same for anyone.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,229,330 times
And let's not forget that we have companies who will close camp in the United States just to RELOCATE to specific countries to dodge the regulations that U.S. has.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There’s only “popular appropriation” or “cool appropriation.”

And black folks are just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to both phenomena. It’s an argument that I’m really getting sick of hearing. Black folks need to back the hell off that BS.
I personally don't make a big deal about "cultural appropriation" (quotes intended as I do feel it is receiving far too much attention). That being said, it is frustrating when black folks are told we can't wear our hair a certain way, yet when someone who isn't black attempts to imitate that style (e.g. dreadlocks), it's seen as hip all of a sudden.

Another example, again not a big deal per say but like a "okay............" J.Lo at the Grammys 2019. I like J.Lo, don't get me wrong but she was NOT the right person for the Motown Tribute. I'm not saying that others can't be inspired by black music, but I DO have to question with all of the black voices they could have gotten (e.g. Chrisette Michelle, Jaguar Wright, Janelle Monae, Jazmine Sullivan, Leela James, etc) that they glossed right over them. Of course, I blame the Recording Academy for it. Hell, even the Recording Academy was determined to use a Latina, Jessica Sanchez (from American Idol) wasn't available?

Plus it's not like the Latin Grammys would every use an R&B singer for a Salsa or Tejano tribute. If they won't use Amara La Negra (Who is Afro-Dominicano and being mocked on a Dominican variety show), they damn sure won't use someone like Fantasia to do one of those numbers.

I say all of that to say that I'm usually not one to participate in forums that throw ***** fits about it. Like, Justin Timberlake for example, caught much flack when he commented on Jesse Williams's speech at the BET Awards in 2016. I didn't think much about his statement. Others, OTOH were not too thrilled.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
which is also why business wants to do away with unions. If a work place has a union the wages are the same for anyone.
Which goes back to my statement about companies shutting down for the purpose of relocating where something like this isn't a requirement.

The desire for cheap labor comes from both main parties.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:20 PM

Poll: Overwhelming majority of black voters back any 2020 Democrat over Trump

So amount of Black Trump supporters HAS increased, that being said, I wouldn't say it's a "huge number" (Link to thread that I'm referencing).

Why do you think the number has increased? If you support Trump. What is it that YOU like about him? This is a dialogue and is meant to include several political ideologies.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:48 PM

Default Shirley husar

Let's talk about Shirley Husar!

She's a black conservative who is heavily involved in the black community. I don't agree with everything she says. I do think that she blames too much on illegal immigration. Not that I'm an advocate for illegal immigration, but I do find her to be a tad bit Xenophobic (her followers even worse).

She's from California and she was the delegate of the state. She's the CEO of the Urban Game Changer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLB1XzPBb2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyFMZtQKTDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gm0DGa9pPg

Old 02-24-2020, 01:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dccq...43I2c&index=21

Old 02-24-2020, 06:06 PM

73,078 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
And let's not forget that we have companies who will close camp in the United States just to RELOCATE to specific countries to dodge the regulations that U.S. has.
One song sums this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

Old 02-25-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Money is what it comes down to. A real conversation still does need to take place on legal and illegal immigration and reasonable policies do need to be put in place. This discussion needs to happen sooner than later.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:09 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Money is what it comes down to. A real conversation still does need to take place on legal and illegal immigration and reasonable policies do need to be put in place. This discussion needs to happen sooner than later.

I think I've said it before: Illegal labor is worth billions to US businesses. It's not going away. The last president who truly tried to stem illegal immigration was Eisenhower. He discovered that his senior immigration officials in those states were in the pockets of local businesses. He actually transferred them all to the Canadian border states and transferred the Canadian border officials to the Mexican border states. The governors of California, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico handed him his head.

A few years ago, the Fortune 50 company I worked for had a contracted janitorial service. Lots of lower income blacks and whites made up the workforce for that service.

One year, the company decided they wanted a less expensive contract and directed the contractor to make a less expensive contract happen.

On a Monday--on a Monday--all the workers became Latinos. And I know enough Spanish to determine that they weren't Mexican-American Latinos or even Mexicans.

It's not going away under any administration by either party. They're going to make a lot of partisan hay pointing fingers at each other, but it's all about the Benjamins in the end, so it's not going away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies