Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:33 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Why? What makes Black people so much more special than Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans and Whites? We have Michelle Obama cry about "white flight", but then Black people like you want some special convention just for you. Can't have it both ways.

Obviously you can. Right vs. left. Liberal vs. conservative. Blacks don't all think the same way, but I guess that's how you'd want it - all one way or no way.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:29 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'm in Southwest Louisiana and I'm not sure how I would describe it. I guess I could say that the black middle class is kind of scattered. In my hometown (Lake Charles), there is a growing black middle class (mainly moderate income or lower middle class), though on the north side there is an enclave of upper middle class blacks (the north side is predominantly low income). I would like to see more support for black owned businesses in my hometown. Not to say that we should stick to black businesses ONLY, but we could do a better job of supporting one another (giving that the business owner is providing a good quality service or product).
Where I live, there is a Black middle class here. It is different here. It seems like relative to Georgia, Blacks are poorer in Alabama. Then again, Alabama is poorer in general. However, I'm in a more middle class, educated city. I'm here for work and the opportunities are there. I just feel like there is still a bit of old south left over.

II don't know where all the Black owned businesses are. I mainly eat, shop, and go to places I live in. When I was living in the Atlanta area, I lived primarily in the suburbs (I worked in the city though). I didn't see as many Black owned businesses as I thought I would see. I did come across a few and gave them my business. One was a printing/copying place. I was able to get my resume printed for a reasonable price and good service. Another place I went to, I went there on my way back from an interview. It was a coffee place.

I don't think we should stick to Black businesses only. I agree. I do think it's important for more Black people to start businesses, for Black people to patronize those businesses, and for Black people to give each other their best.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Where I live, there is a Black middle class here. It is different here. It seems like relative to Georgia, Blacks are poorer in Alabama. Then again, Alabama is poorer in general. However, I'm in a more middle class, educated city. I'm here for work and the opportunities are there. I just feel like there is still a bit of old south left over.

II don't know where all the Black owned businesses are. I mainly eat, shop, and go to places I live in. When I was living in the Atlanta area, I lived primarily in the suburbs (I worked in the city though). I didn't see as many Black owned businesses as I thought I would see. I did come across a few and gave them my business. One was a printing/copying place. I was able to get my resume printed for a reasonable price and good service. Another place I went to, I went there on my way back from an interview. It was a coffee place.

I don't think we should stick to Black businesses only. I agree. I do think it's important for more Black people to start businesses, for Black people to patronize those businesses, and for Black people to give each other their best.
I’m proud to say that the overwhelming majority of African Americans in my state are comfortably middle class. Black folks do well here.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:38 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m proud to say that the overwhelming majority of African Americans in my state are comfortably middle class. Black folks do well here.
Arizona is a totally different place than where I live. Where I live (I moved because I was offered a good-paying job), there is a Black middle class, but Blacks aren't solidly middle class here. Still a bit of old south lingering. Arizona is a product of the old west. Different environment. But even Arizona has its history of racism towards Blacks.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Arizona is a totally different place than where I live. Where I live (I moved because I was offered a good-paying job), there is a Black middle class, but Blacks aren't solidly middle class here. Still a bit of old south lingering. Arizona is a product of the old west. Different environment. But even Arizona has its history of racism towards Blacks.
Yep. But African American soldiers (Buffalo Soldiers) helped settle this territory and clear it for settlers and prospectors. This state is soaked in our blood. It’s ours just as much as anyone else’s, and I make damn sure to claim it.

The racism here was a mild, but persistent sort. I grew up with it as a kid in the 70’s, but my father always told me not to let ANYONE step on my toes no matter what. Any racist insults or slights would be met with truculence. My brothers and I didn’t play around.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:25 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I believe we should revisit the idea of a Black Political Convention. I would be TOTALLY on board with a modern effort to resurrect this movement.

I say why not? We have black journalist conventions. It would be a way to get thoughts out in the open and see black minds come together towards a common goal.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Why? What makes Black people so much more special than Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans and Whites? We have Michelle Obama cry about "white flight", but then Black people like you want some special convention just for you. Can't have it both ways.

To some extent, Michelle Obama was accurate when she was referring to white flight. I'm not saying that all white people do this, however there are those that do begin packing once the "minority" population reaches that 15% mark. We have some whites who pull their kids out of school once the black population reaches a certain percentage and in many cities we still aren't even buried in the same cemeteries. So I'd question, why this convention would be such an offense? I also question why nobody accuses the Congressional Hispanic Caucus or APIA Vote (Asian American and Pacific Islander voter organization) of being racist?

Old 11-28-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:

That's great to hear! Do you think that we will ever see another black Wallstreet like we had in Tulsa, Oklahoma? Why or why not?

Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Obviously you can. Right vs. left. Liberal vs. conservative. Blacks don't all think the same way, but I guess that's how you'd want it - all one way or no way.

Right? There are black Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. There are some blacks who even support far less mainstream parties.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
You really don’t want to know. LOL
My first thought would be starting a forum of some sort for black republicans, libertarians, and the like. I'm a moderate, but I happen to get along quite well with libertarians.

Quote:
I definitely feel as if black conservatives do everything they can to appease white conservatives every chance they get. Not saying you in particular, but a lot of black conservatives sound like they hate their own people with a passion.
There are some black conservatives who do just LOVE to rip apart their own race. To me that comes to to self-hatred. I can criticize the bad apples in my race as a black person but what I will NOT do is be a mouthpiece for a non-black person (i.e. be the one to say the things that some of them really WANT to say, however to avoid backlash, they won't say it publicly). I say all that to say that not all black conservatives are created equal. Some are level headed, and some are incredibly condescending. Same with liberals.

Quote:
The black community has a myriad of issues to deal with, but I love my people and I’m not gonna bad mouth them just to give comfort to conservative non blacks. And believe me, they LOVE to see black conservatives rip black folks. I refuse to participate in it.
Some can be bought with a price as we see on television. [/quote]

Responses in blue.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-25-2019 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Please do not respond within quotes! Others will not be able to quote you. That both stifles conversation and isn’t fair to other posters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies