Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2019, 09:29 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Blacks voting a 90% clip for Democrats and getting nothing in return have no leverage - for themselves (since I don't vote Democrat).

You have plenty of leverage to help Democrats in government, but those benefits never translate back to the people.

The other question is - what does leverage mean? How does leverage manifest itself? More money from government? Jobs for black folk only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I agree in practice. However, the math is still sound. We are voting as a block, but without demands. So we have it half right.
I don't understand why you believe it's necessary to vote as a block.

Black people are different just all other races are different. Why not let individuals be individuals?

Sitting here thinking for a minute... maybe many feel as though we still need to stick together as our people had to do decades ago. The theory is that white folk and black folk will always be adversarial and therefore, we need to be a block of people in order to get ahead... and therefore we need to vote the same way and think the same way. I think as the older generation who has links to those days are slowly fading out, the new generation is not feeling that vibe and are more susceptible to go with what they believe is right.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:57 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:

Black people are different just all other races are different. Why not let individuals be individuals?

Sitting here thinking for a minute... maybe many feel as though we still need to stick together as our people had to do decades ago. The theory is that white folk and black folk will always be adversarial and therefore, we need to be a block of people in order to get ahead... and therefore we need to vote the same way and think the same way. I think as the older generation who has links to those days are slowly fading out, the new generation is not feeling that vibe and are more susceptible to go with what they believe is right.
I would argue that we can think differently, vote differently, etc and still work towards a common goal.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
I am Ghanaian-American, registered independent, however I am conservative and vote Republican.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I am Ghanaian-American, registered independent, however I am conservative and vote Republican.
Fair enough. Would you say that you are an issue-based voter or do you vote republican regardless?

Old 11-30-2019, 11:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wassup Ed??

Old 11-30-2019, 11:22 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

It's been a while since I've posted and wanted to start a space for blacks (regardless of origin in the diaspora) to discuss politics and social status. My vision is for it to be similar to threads that I've started in the past by having some starter questions with other topics to eventually evolve from the initial questions.

Do you identify as ADOS or are you descended from another region (West Indies, Africa, etc)?
Nigerian-American born in Nigeria ans moved to America and have now spent roughly 2/3rds of my life in the U.S.
Quote:
Do you identify politically as a Democrat, Republic, Independent, or Other?
Democrat, used to call myself an independent (still not registered as a Democrat) but the POC and generally other attitudes in the Republican party has turned me off towards any sort of Republican. I do see myself voting for Republicans in 20 years as by then what it means politically to be a Republican or Democrat would have changed so much that the same vitriol I find in the party now would have hopefully disappeared.
Quote:
Do you identify as conservative, liberal, moderate, or other?
Definitely between liberal-moderate. I am generally anti-guns, anti-abortion (pro-abortion legally, but against people using their legal right to have an abortion), do not believe in a strong welfare state, but i'm not strongly opposed to one. I'm not anti-LGBT but you won't catch me at a pride parade. I'm not to big on taxing the rich more, but I do lean in that direction. I'm pro-immigration. etcetera. If I list of my views, I generally find myself to be the more conservative end of the Democrats but much more liberal than 90% of conservatives I encounter. Generally anti more illegal immigration, pro-DACA and like the illegal immigrants already here. Don't think a wall would work but don't think that their should mass deportations or anything of the like. My view on this is illegals tend to be good people but the U.S realistically can't house 2 billion people (I do think the U.S could comfortably house 750-900 million people) if they all wanted to move so something should be done to mitigate the issue whether improving countries like Mexico closer and closer to economic parity with the U.S or e-verify and other ways like arresting people who knowingly employ illegals. I just think a wall is just telling Southwest to add nonstop flights between San Salvador and Houston.
Quote:
What region are you currently located in?
South/Central Texas
Quote:
When it comes to illegal immigration, do you think that it's worse in some areas than others?
Definitely worse in some areas. But in general don't see it as a major problem.
Quote:
Where do you primarily get your news from? (FOX, CNN, etc?)
CNN is my number one source besides local media. I listen to Fox news as well as it tends to be more entertaining than CNN. BBC/Al-Jazeera and NHK also have good news.
Quote:
Should black people form their own political parties?
No. I'm definitely pro-integration in most aspects of American life, and I think black only political parties don't make sense. I do believe their should be a concerted effort by black people to improve the lives of black people but bringing it that far into politics is really divisive.
Quote:
What's your stance on movements such as "BLEXIT" and the like?
It's fake probably Russian. It's gonna end up with a bunch of Black Republicans thinking they're pulling new black voters to their side come election time, realizing it was a circle jerk of black people who shared the same opinion but where just hidden about it being more vocal online. At best 1% of black voters who were Republicans before but didn't know it, start voting Republicans because their encouraged by online support.
Quote:
When it comes to the state of black Economics (depending on your area), what would you like to see change? What can we do to attain that?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
definitely more black Americans or ADOS entering the middle class. The Black Middle Class in Houston, especially West Houston/Fort Bend County is massive but in many aspects is dominated by wealthy immigrants from Nigeria. Wouldn't be surprise if the 77494 area which tends to be upper middle class to wealthy is 10% black by 2020 census as well as other areas in the Fort Bend County area, it's currently the fastest growing demographic in the zip code.
https://www.zipdatamaps.com/77494
In fact the youth population is already in the 10% black range and the entire region of Fort Bend is over 20% Black and it's arguably the most diverse county in the U.S. next to Queens. Not only is it diverse it's very successful as well for all racial groups compared to their national average albeit their are poor Black and Hispanic areas their small compared to the rest of the county as a whole's black and Hispanic population.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2019 at 02:07 AM..

Old 11-30-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Nigerian-American born in Nigeria ans moved to America and have now spent roughly 2/3rds of my life in the U.S.

Democrat, used to call myself an independent (still not registered as a Democrat) but the POC and generally other attitudes in the Republican party has turned me off towards any sort of Republican. I do see myself voting for Republicans in 20 years as by then what it means politically to be a Republican or Democrat would have changed so much that the same vitriol I find in the party now would have hopefully disappeared.
I would say that the lines between the two parties is gradually fading away. In 20 years, I'd image that we would see much more issue-based voting than we are seeing now.

Quote:
Definitely between liberal-moderate. I am generally anti-guns, anti-abortion (pro-abortion legally, but against people using their legal right to have an abortion)
So I assume, you believe that women SHOULD have the right to abort but should not abort for the sake of aborting?,
Quote:
do not believe in a strong welfare state, but i'm not strongly opposed to one. I'm not anti-LGBT but you won't catch me at a pride parade.
Fair enough. Pride parades are certainly not everyone's cup of tea
Quote:
I'm not to big on taxing the rich more, but I do lean in that direction. I'm pro-immigration. etcetera. If I list of my views, I generally find myself to be the more conservative end of the Democrats but much more liberal than 90% of conservatives I encounter. Generally anti more illegal immigration, pro-DACA and like the illegal immigrants already here. Don't think a wall would work but don't think that their should mass deportations or anything of the like.
I would agree. History also shows that black people (especially ADOS) should not be supporting a wall
Quote:
My view on this is illegals tend to be good people but the U.S realistically can't house 2 billion people (I do think the U.S could comfortably house 750-900 million people) if they all wanted to move so something should be done to mitigate the issue whether improving countries like Mexico closer and closer to economic parity with the U.S or e-verify and other ways like arresting people who knowingly employ illegals.
Illegal immigration, FWIW has actually been on the decline for more than 10 years now. Obviously we cannot take every immigrant that tries to come in and nor should we. That said, I don't agree with the long term separation of parents and children with no idea of each others whereabouts. Right now everyone is in limbo and that's now how it should be. Also illegal immigration is a misdemeanor, not a felony and GENERALLY a misdemeanor from my understanding is about six months jail time.I would be all for limiting the amount of immigrants accepted per year.
Quote:
I just think a wall is just telling Southwest to add nonstop flights between San Salvador and Houston.

South/Central Texas

Definitely worse in some areas. But in general don't see it as a major problem.
Some say that is it is in areas like California. That said, data suggest that it has been on the decline there too. HOWEVER, big companies are relocating from California to Texas (namely the Dallas area) and people are leaving with the work. Meanwhile the Mexicans that were there have stayed behind and are now occupying some of these homes that were left.
Quote:

CNN is my number one source besides local media. I listen to Fox news as well as it tends to be more entertaining than CNN. BBC/Al-Jazeera and NHK also have good news.

No. I'm definitely pro-integration in most aspects of American life, and I think black only political parties don't make sense. I do believe their should be a concerted effort by black people to improve the lives of black people but bringing it that far into politics is really divisive.

It's fake probably Russian.
Definitely fake, I can't say whether or not it's fake Russians. That said, some suggested that the ADOS movement is really Russian bots. I support ADOS (by definition, I would be one) as an ethnic group, however I'm not the biggest fan on the movement.
Quote:
It's gonna end up with a bunch of Black Republicans thinking they're pulling new black voters to their side come election time, realizing it was a circle jerk of black people who shared the same opinion but where just hidden about it being more vocal online. At best 1% of black voters who were Republicans before but didn't know it, start voting Republicans because their encouraged by online support.

definitely more black Americans or ADOS entering the middle class. The Black Middle Class in Houston, especially West Houston/Fort Bend County is massive but in many aspects is dominated by wealthy immigrants from Nigeria. Wouldn't be surprise if the 77494 area which tends to be upper middle class to wealthy is 10% black by 2020 census as well as other areas in the Fort Bend County area, it's currently the fastest growing demographic in the zip code.
What would it take for ADOS or even those of Carribean ancestry to enter the middle class? I'd be interested in the Black Enterprise report as of late on what the best metros are for black Americans.
Quote:
https://www.zipdatamaps.com/77494
In fact the youth population is already in the 10% black range and the entire region of Fort Bend is over 20% Black and it's arguably the most diverse county in the U.S. next to Queens. Not only is it diverse it's very successful as well for all racial groups compared to their national average albeit their are poor Black and Hispanic areas their small compared to the rest of the county as a whole's black and Hispanic population.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...on-in-the-u-s/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlganLJy8Y8&t=3s

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-25-2019 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: Please do not comment within others’ quotes

Old 11-30-2019, 12:07 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Blacks voting a 90% clip for Democrats and getting nothing in return have no leverage - for themselves (since I don't vote Democrat).

You have plenty of leverage to help Democrats in government, but those benefits never translate back to the people.

The other question is - what does leverage mean? How does leverage manifest itself? More money from government? Jobs for black folk only?
Quote:
Let me explain my 50/50 nullification. Black people have no leverage with a divided vote. If half of blacks voted republican and the other half voted democrat, the election would be decided by those races, primarily whites, who leaned to one party over the other. Hence, an evenly divided black vote is the equivalent of blacks not having voted. Blacks voting as a block, for one party or the other, on the other hand, could decide an election.
Quote:
I agree in practice. However, the math is still sound. We are voting as a block, but without demands. So we have it half right.
I thought about this idea: How about Blacks withdraw their support from BOTH parties and put it into a 3rd party, or run their own candidate. i feel like there would be MORE leverage there. Both parties would have to fight for the Black vote if they want it bad enough.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:09 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:

We are already voting as a block, we are just not asking for anything collectively for it. Why do we need to do this? We don't. We can simply accept that things will remain as they are economically and socially.

To me, I don't really care any longer about blacks in the US as a collective. My interest now is the rise of Africa as a viable alternative place to live. I think, though, that as the economic fortunes of America gets peeled away, as our economic model of debt is not sustainable, blacks will be disproportionately impacted in a negative way. That should not be surprising, however. Young people will have to decide how they want to deal with that. We old heads are fighting a different battle. Either way, young people are going to have to unify into some type of block, whether it be based upon race, class or whatever. There are going to be new challenges in this country in the 2020's. The era will be as transforming as the 60's, but when we come out of that period, things might not be better, as the 60's produced, but worse.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I thought about this idea: How about Blacks withdraw their support from BOTH parties and put it into a 3rd party, or run their own candidate. i feel like there would be MORE leverage there. Both parties would have to fight for the Black vote if they want it bad enough.
That's actually a good idea. Maybe we could support the Green Party if we aren't going to form our own parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies