Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2019, 12:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,142 times

Advertisements

I find that issue-based voting is gaining popularity and I encourage people to do their homework regardless of which party they align themselves with.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:58 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Blacks voting a 90% clip for Democrats and getting nothing in return have no leverage - for themselves (since I don't vote Democrat).

You have plenty of leverage to help Democrats in government, but those benefits never translate back to the people.

The other question is - what does leverage mean? How does leverage manifest itself? More money from government? Jobs for black folk only?
I agree in practice. However, the math is still sound. We are voting as a block, but without demands. So we have it half right.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I agree in practice. However, the math is still sound. We are voting as a block, but without demands. So we have it half right.
Even with demands, there’s no guarantee that they will be fulfilled. Candidates are going to tell you what you want to hear to get your vote.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:22 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Are you a descendant of the African Diaspora?
This is a FREE country and this is an open forum site for discussions of all sorts of things.
If someone wants a "black only" discussion forum site, let THEM start their own site. This is NOT the place for it.

If I tried to start a "white only" thread, YOU would be the 1st to whine and complain about it, screaming "RACIST!"

Old 11-30-2019, 05:25 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Yet you’re here and no one has reported you. Obviously in a public forum anyone is allowed to speak. That said, I have no qualms about the original intent. Maybe you could learn something like......ummmm I don’t know, that blacks people are not monolithic? To
" Maybe you could learn" I learned a long time ago NOT to make assumptions on what others say and CLAIM to know what they are thinking.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:41 AM

Default New Topic:What’s the job market like in your area?

Where I’m from, there’s a lot of refinery and energy. We have several plants being expanded and there is construction of new plants as well. In fact it has attracted #45 to the area (He’s visited on more than on occasion within the last couple of years). That said, I’d like to see more white collar jobs as well as research jobs here. What about your area? What would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of?

Old 11-30-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
This is a FREE country and this is an open forum site for discussions of all sorts of things.
If someone wants a "black only" discussion forum site, let THEM start their own site. This is NOT the place for it.
Umm while the INTENT of the thread is to hear from other black people of various political leanings, no one is barred giving that they have something insightful to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If I tried to start a "white only" thread, YOU would be the 1st to whine and complain about it, screaming "RACIST!"
No I wouldn’t. That’s pretty much every other topic on this forum in this particular section (even if it’s not specified).

Had someone in the APA community started a similar thread, I don’t think I that it would cause as much offense.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-25-2019 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting- please do not place comments with quotes

Old 11-30-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Blacks voting a 90% clip for Democrats and getting nothing in return have no leverage - for themselves (since I don't vote Democrat).

You have plenty of leverage to help Democrats in government, but those benefits never translate back to the people.

The other question is - what does leverage mean? How does leverage manifest itself? More money from government? Jobs for black folk only?
Perhaps it’s time for a party for those who are fed up with the D and the R that are two sides of the same coin? OR an all-party system? What do you think?

Old 11-30-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Great! It’s an interesting thread and you’re completely correct when it comes to the talking about but not hearing from us...
Thank you. I’m hoping that it attracts more.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Introducing the first new topic.

What is your take on climate change? What about current environmental regulations? Do you think that the Trump administration could do better with being environmentally friendly? Was the Obama administration too strict?
How important do you think it is to be environmentally aware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies