Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2019, 08:32 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No income taxes here... they make up for it in property taxes. I generally don't complain about taxes unless it gets extreme - I could, but I don't. It's a necessary evil.

Right now - the bigger problem is the spending.
What would you like to see the taxes spent on? Of course there will be some things that it’s spent on that we do not agree on (that’s inevitable), but is there a cause you’d like to see more funding be allocated for?

Old 11-29-2019, 08:34 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Gulf coat Texas. You aren’t far from me. I’m in Lake Charles, LA a little less than an hour from Texas. Texas does have those high property taxes lol. Taxes is a necessary evil, however Louisiana’s are ridiculously high. Our grocery Taxes are high too. Hence the reason residents of Vinton (about 20 minutes west of me) go to Orange, TX to do their grocery shopping (tax free).
Build the wall ... build the wall ... on the Sabine River.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Build the wall ... build the wall ... on the Sabine River.
We can’t have that! Then we won’t be able to get our cheap groceries at decent prices anymore. And we won’t be able to help each other’s economies anymore. (tourism, concerts, etc)

Old 11-29-2019, 10:07 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Let me explain my 50/50 nullification. Black people have no leverage with a divided vote. If half of blacks voted republican and the other half voted democrat, the election would be decided by those races, primarily whites, who leaned to one party over the other. Hence, an evenly divided black vote is the equivalent of blacks not having voted. Blacks voting as a block, for one party or the other, on the other hand, could decide an election.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Let me explain my 50/50 nullification. Black people have no leverage with a divided vote. If half of blacks voted republican and the other half voted democrat, the election would be decided by those races, primarily whites, who leaned to one party over the other. Hence, an evenly divided black vote is the equivalent of blacks not having voted. Blacks voting as a block, for one party or the other, on the other hand, could decide an election.
Basically canceling one another out. Can I ask what (if anything) you are doing to encourage more black voters (regardless of party)?

Old 11-29-2019, 10:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Basically canceling one another out. Can I ask what (if anything) you are doing to encourage more black voters (regardless of party)?
I am not doing anything to encourage more black voters. I am a conscientious objector to the two party system. Besides that, the avalanche of blacks moving to red states weakens the black vote even more...until they can turn a red state blue from their numbers, which is not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I am not doing anything to encourage more black voters. I am a conscientious objector to the two party system. Besides that, the avalanche of blacks moving to red states weakens the black vote even more...until they can turn a red state blue from their numbers, which is not going to happen anytime soon.
I’d like to see an all party system to include Independents, Green Party members, etc.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:23 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. But African American soldiers (Buffalo Soldiers) helped settle this territory and clear it for settlers and prospectors. This state is soaked in our blood. It’s ours just as much as anyone else’s, and I make damn sure to claim it.

The racism here was a mild, but persistent sort. I grew up with it as a kid in the 70’s, but my father always told me not to let ANYONE step on my toes no matter what. Any racist insults or slights would be met with truculence. My brothers and I didn’t play around.
Maybe this is why I feel a bit of affinity for the history of Blacks in the Old West. Blacks are a relatively small part of Arizona's population, but they still contributed to the state's history. And something else. Alot of cowboys in the Old West were Black.

I grew up dealing with racism in the late 1990/early 2000s. This was in Georgia, specifically the exurbs of metro Atlanta. I grew up seeing kids come to school with Confederate flag t-shirts. I hit a kid for calling me the "N" word. I dealt with some other problems.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:27 PM

I think that we are in a time where it’s long overdue that black stories are being told by black people. Our history is being told from one perspective and that perspective does not include some of the most valuable information.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:49 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Blacks voting a 90% clip for Democrats and getting nothing in return have no leverage - for themselves (since I don't vote Democrat).

You have plenty of leverage to help Democrats in government, but those benefits never translate back to the people.

The other question is - what does leverage mean? How does leverage manifest itself? More money from government? Jobs for black folk only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies