Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

The Baby’s Coming. But the Hospital Is 100 Miles Away.

This article describes the distress in the southeastern corner of Missouri, but could really be Anytown, USA. Specifically the article concerns people whose nearest obstetric facility is 50-100 miles away, and they're about to give birth. Two heart-rending snippets from the article (article about two print pages so quoting not a TOS violation):

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
The only obstetrician in Kennett had operated his practice out of the hospital, and he began discharging patients and winding down services in the weeks before Twin Rivers closed. Women said his waiting room became a scene of sadness and confusion as they worried about where they would go next and how they would afford gas for weekly visits at distant hospitals when they barely had enough money to pay electric bills and rent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
Ms. Abernathy said she was eager to bring the twins home and to get back to her $8.50-an-hour job as a home health aide. There is rent to make, baby clothes to purchase, $80 of gas to buy for the coming week.
The million-dollar question is, how are people going to afford a proper raising for a baby if they can barely afford gas for a 50-mile drive to a hospital? Even that drive, a 100-mile round trip, involves, say, five gallons, or about $15.00.

What people really need to think about individually is how they can maintain a decent lifestyle, for themselves and those thrust into their lives. And society needs to find a way to employ people productively. Reducing single parenthood would go a long way on both.

I opened another thread, Liberation Movements Gone Mad - Bad Behavior, Teen Pregnancy, Truancy and Hopelessness in the Heartland - Any Solutions, about another aspect of rural distress. Entertainment, such as is available and affordable, promotes questionable values and behavior. And the main non-violent recreational activity available and attractive to teens and young adults is sex. The protagonist in the article who is the mother of the twins in question is 21. She already was the mother of a two year old baby.

This is an issue about responsible decision-making as well as about health care.

Last edited by jbgusa; 07-17-2018 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I agree with you.

Bringing a child into the world knowing that the child will, in 90% of the cases, be deprived of proper security, nutrition, education and opportunity is WRONG. How can it be argued otherwise?

If someone wishes to have a child, why not take steps to obtain the resources to create a suitable environment. By doing things such as getting a proper education, a job, a partner, money in the bank and so forth. Instead of rushing out to fill personal needs for gratification and meaning.

My parents have several children and we all have trust funds to fall back on. I am not saying your parents have to be rich, but at least you need to be able to give your child a decent life before thinking about bringing him or her into the world. Making minimum wage means you are not in the position of having a child, you cannot afford it.

How can it be argued otherwise?

Just another thought, she did not realize the hospital was 100 miles away 9 months ago?! Always blame others I guess.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you.

Bringing a child into the world knowing that the child will, in 90% of the cases, be deprived of proper security, nutrition, education and opportunity is WRONG. How can it be argued otherwise?

If someone wishes to have a child, why not take steps to obtain the resources to create a suitable environment. By doing things such as getting a proper education, a job, a partner, money in the bank and so forth. Instead of rushing out to fill personal needs for gratification and meaning.

My parents have several children and we all have trust funds to fall back on. I am not saying your parents have to be rich, but at least you need to be able to give your child a decent life before thinking about bringing him or her into the world. Making minimum wage means you are not in the position of having a child, you cannot afford it.

Just another thought, she did not realize the hospital was 100 miles away 9 months ago?! Always blame others I guess.
If you read the story, it sounds like the hospital was open when she conceived.
So what kind of planning and steps did you take to earn that trust fund? What was the suitable environment you created to get that?
Good on you though.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
Planned parenthood should use some of the millions they get from taxpayers and have a mobile van that can do free IUD's and implantable birth control that lasts for 5 yrs.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 AM

11 posts, read 6,352 times
Quote:
I agree with you.

Well said - In America let it be known the rich can have kids. Others need not apply. Ha - I wish Putin knew just how f'd America was. As bad as he is, he'd feel sorry for how far we are falling and how fast. We are entertaining our selves with the delusion Russia is out to get us, when it's WE who are out to get us.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Planned parenthood should use some of the millions they get from taxpayers and have a mobile van that can do free IUD's and implantable birth control that lasts for 5 yrs.

Planned Parenthood already has Mobile Outreach Units. They even do sonograms on the mobile units.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 6,352 times
Quote:
On this point one thing - Many rural hospitals are closing due to the market structure of the economy. While you can say people should be wise - no one ever is. However America has created internal losers of life lottery and increasingly it's going to be you and me. That trust fund has earned you a spot in the winners circle. This woman was not invited to that circle and the system worked to harm the most natural of rights - of giving life. Welcome to America in 2018.

And that is worse than anything Russia and Putin or Trump and Clinton could ever do. Buckle the heck up because this space ship is without a pilot.

Russia had no clue how far gone internally we were and this decline will not be in their interests.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
How about a government license for every parents to apply before they can have babies?

This is to ensure people have adequate money and resources to raise their children properly?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:

My parents have several children and we all have trust funds to fall back on.

Thank goodness you have a trust fund.

The local hospital closed during her last month of pregnancy and now she has to go to the one 100 miles away. It was literally in the first sentence.

Maybe there are other reasons people should not have children besides money.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakaKeg View Post
On this point one thing - Many rural hospitals are closing due to the market structure of the economy. While you can say people should be wise - no one ever is. However America has created internal losers of life lottery and increasingly it's going to be you and me. That trust fund has earned you a spot in the winners circle. This woman was not invited to that circle and the system worked to harm the most natural of rights - of giving life. Welcome to America in 2018.
You right too many are not wise but if your not going to be at least somewhat wise/responsible don't go crying the blues and trying to garner sympathy for your unwise decisions.
If your 21, presumable unmarried, with an already two year old, living in poverty and you chose to exercise your natural right to give life you should also exercise your responsibility that goes right there along with rights and make an reasonable effort to be able to financially support your decisions. If you can't even afford the gas to drive to the nearest health department for a pre natal check up or to the hospital for delivery you really cant afford the financial responsibility of supporting another person.

I also live in a rural area where not all counties have hospitals. The nearest hospital/OBGYN to my town is approximately 25 miles away and I am close to the interstate. If you go further to the outlying communities it more like 50 miles mostly rural roads. Now if you need better facilities, like NICU, you have to travel about an hour and a half. When you live in a rural area this is common to have to drive distances for thing like medical care, shopping and entertainment. I'm not understanding what the big deal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies