Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 10:51 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Those are the rules but this is about people who lie and commit fraud.

Parents will lie for their adult children that they pay rent and buy their own food, etc. Babymamas often have incarcerated or absent daddies and let some dude live with them off the welfare. I lived in the hood once, I've seen this as lifestyle. But the worst one, IMO, was a middle class suburban family with the parents hiding the recipient's significant assets while providing full support for the recipient, who on paper had nothing but was living large off of parental support and welfare.

Changing laws will do nothing about this blatant fraud. All the paperwork is clean so there is nothing to investigate and if a tip is called in they may ask questions but still there may be no proof. They are not going to do a full forensic investigation, they do not have the resources or frankly, the motivation. The leftists working for the system don't care if these people, mostly women with kids, game it, some even admire it.
I was going to respond until I got to "the leftists working for the system"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can I refuse to pay my income tax? How about I insist to pay the same amount of income tax as 50% of Americans?
You have a choice, if you don't want to pay income tax quit your job and put your money in your mattress - it's not rocket science

Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,040,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can I refuse to pay my income tax? How about I insist to pay the same amount of income tax as 50% of Americans?
you CAN- but yes there will be repercussions of course. That said, I cant' speak for them of course, but I'm guessing that REAL slaves would prefer those repercussions over the ones they got for upsetting TPTB. You'd be fined, perhaps forfeit property or wage garnishment. Worst case, a stay at Club Fed. Unless the US has REALLY lost it's mind, I'm also figuring you would NOT be hunted down, tortured or murdered. Your loved ones would NOT be persecuted or terrorized.

Moral or Civic Duty Under the Social Contract(not to mention it's the LAW)- yep

Slavery- ummmm major NO.

While I shamefully admit I've been no better a few times, I have ZERO sympathy, empathy, stomach, for self-proclaimed "victims" who are nothing more than whiners who pizz and moan about every "injustice" and by"injustice" I mean not being catered to, and not being given everything they want, or not being above the laws of fairness.. Please don't become one of them. The World has plenty already

Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 AM

7,041 posts, read 2,737,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The more hungry kids in school, the better! Go Team Red!
It's their parents responsibility to pack a sandwich before they leave the house. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,431,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Those are the rules but this is about people who lie and commit fraud.

Parents will lie for their adult children that they pay rent and buy their own food, etc. Babymamas often have incarcerated or absent daddies and let some dude live with them off the welfare. I lived in the hood once, I've seen this as lifestyle. But the worst one, IMO, was a middle class suburban family with the parents hiding the recipient's significant assets while providing full support for the recipient, who on paper had nothing but was living large off of parental support and welfare.

Changing laws will do nothing about this blatant fraud. All the paperwork is clean so there is nothing to investigate and if a tip is called in they may ask questions but still there may be no proof. They are not going to do a full forensic investigation, they do not have the resources or frankly, the motivation. The leftists working for the system don't care if these people, mostly women with kids, game it, some even admire it.
Speaking from my unfortunate experience of, in the past, personally knowing two such "welfare moms", there are many ways to game the system and go undetected. Both these women have stolen and (one was also convicted of check fraud, and she also allegedly dealt drugs and committed various kinds of retail fraud), but these women also gained additional income that they didn't report through babysitting "under the table". I don't know how much they have earned by doing this or to what degree this happens, of course, but I suspect that it is quite a bit.

However, the last item I can't really blame anyone for, as legitimate childcare and daycare provider fees are outrageous, imo. But, OTOH, I truly think it is a shame how some parents leave their young children under the supervision of anyone without doing any kind of background check -- unless, of course, in the case where people are very well acquainted with the caregivers and are fairly sure that they can be trusted.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-03-2019 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-03-2019, 11:44 AM

89,239 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Tax increases can only be recovered by raising the price of a product if the demand for it is relatively inelastic and there are no alternatives.
Guess again. Taxes have sunk more than one business. They can't sell goods/services at less than cost and survive for long.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Which seems to be all that most people do, neither you or I are contributing to society when we spend hours bickering on city-data
I seriously doubt that. My annual federal income tax bill, though lower now that I've retired, is still in the mid 5 figures.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Guess again. Taxes have sunk more than one business. They can't sell goods/services at less than cost and survive for long.
That has nothing to do with what I said.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with what I said.
It has everything to do with what you said. Taxes are an overhead expense and are factored into the pricing formula. Businesses can't sell services/goods at less than cost for long and survive.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,524,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Write off?" You realize that they're only saving whatever their effective tax rate is, no? For example... Pay a 27% effective federal income tax rate (that's the average effective federal income tax rate paid by the top 1%)? The "write off" is only worth 27% of the cost.
Bingo! People who don't own businesses so often fail to grasp this concept. I would get that comment all the time when a big expenses cropped up. I needed to fly to Texas, stay two nights, and fly back for a total cost of $1,500 because a client wanted to handle something in person (that honestly could have been done over the phone or Skype), and someone said, "so what? You can write it off" as if the trip wouldn't cost me anything. All it did was allow me to deduct the cost of the trip from my taxable income. If my top rate was 33%, all that meant was that the trip cost me $1,000 instead of $1,500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies