Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 12:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You have a choice, if you don't want to pay income tax quit your job and put your money in your mattress - it's not rocket science
Huh? How can he/she quit his job? He needs an income, and that means income taxes. THAT isn't rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
I was going to respond until I got to "the leftists working for the system"
It is VERY true. It is almost all female leftists working for the state welfare system, in social services, from top to bottom. Some of them get jaded and start to dislike the clients. But in the end they want the welfare system expanded and overlook a lot of things, depending on the applicant/ recipient. Men are pretty much persona non grata.

The system can be cruel to the elderly and disabled as well. It is all about single mothers, esp. minorities insofar as favoritism. I volunteer to help older people in need to navigate the system. It is a constant battle to get things straight. Other types of applicants, such as pregnant women automatically qualify for pretty much everything.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It has everything to do with what you said. Taxes are an overhead expense and are factored into the pricing formula. Businesses can't sell services/goods at less than cost for long and survive.
The Trump tax scam didn't lower prices, it didn't improve the quality of goods and services and there is no evidence that businesses needed a tax cut.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is VERY true. It is almost all female leftists working for the state welfare system, in social services, from top to bottom. Some of them get jaded and start to dislike the clients. But in the end they want the welfare system expanded and overlook a lot of things, depending on the applicant/ recipient. Men are pretty much persona non grata.

The system can be cruel to the elderly and disabled as well. It is all about single mothers, esp. minorities insofar as favoritism. I volunteer to help older people in need to navigate the system. It is a constant battle to get things straight. Other types of applicants, such as pregnant women automatically qualify for pretty much everything.
Again speaking from my own experience in working with social workers before and after we adopted our kids and from my experience volunteering at a food bank, I would agree that all the ones I encountered were definitely leftists. However, perhaps my experience was atypical (although I doubt that). I don't think there is any doubt that leftists are generally more forgiving of personal faults and flaws in others than conservatives are. (And, btw, as you will note by my "byline", I lean conservative.)

Old 12-03-2019, 12:15 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
The Trump tax scam didn't lower prices, it didn't improve the quality of goods and services and there is no evidence that businesses needed a tax cut.
The truth is that taxes assessed on businesses are factored into the pricing formula as an overhead expense. Businesses have to charge their clients/customers what they're charged. They quite clearly can't sell services/goods at less than cost for long and survive.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The truth is that taxes assessed on businesses are factored into the pricing formula as an overhead expense. Businesses have to charge their clients/customers what they're charged. They quite clearly can't sell services/goods at less than cost for long and survive.
They can't sell them at cost, either, and survive. Businesses need to show a profit, and that's after everything is factored in: COGS, taxes, the works.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
you CAN- but yes there will be repercussions of course. That said, I cant' speak for them of course, but I'm guessing that REAL slaves would prefer those repercussions over the ones they got for upsetting TPTB. You'd be fined, perhaps forfeit property or wage garnishment. Worst case, a stay at Club Fed. Unless the US has REALLY lost it's mind, I'm also figuring you would NOT be hunted down, tortured or murdered. Your loved ones would NOT be persecuted or terrorized.

Moral or Civic Duty Under the Social Contract(not to mention it's the LAW)- yep

Slavery- ummmm major NO.

While I shamefully admit I've been no better a few times, I have ZERO sympathy, empathy, stomach, for self-proclaimed "victims" who are nothing more than whiners who pizz and moan about every "injustice" and by"injustice" I mean not being catered to, and not being given everything they want, or not being above the laws of fairness.. Please don't become one of them. The World has plenty already
If a person is forced at gunpoint to pay for other people’s living, education, healthcare and child rearing, what would you call that?

Old 12-03-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Have you tried to run a business yourself? Do you not factor your tax liability into your price?

It’s a simple elementary school math.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah --if you are against 'handouts' you should be against handouts.

A very good friend who is a die hard conservative always moaned about entitlement programs....I pointed out to her that there were all kinds of those programs handing out govt. money & I feel uncomfortable with all of them -- not just some of them.

I'm still irked that rich people write off the full purchase price of a jet. This is a handout.
I offered my “write off” service to many people here but got no taker.

Since you are so good, I will give you a 70% write off as much as you like to write off as possible. For example, you send me $1,000 and I will give you $700 back. The deal doesn’t get better than that because you would be like the rich fat cats and enjoy some nice handout.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That article was very short on details, but one of the steps will be to stop AUTOMATICALLY providing food stamps to people if they are on other assistance programs. Some of these people would not qualify, and thus it seems fair that they apply separately for SNAP to help ensure that those on the program are indeed eligible. I don't see a problem with that.
at least the npr article, slanted as it is, includes a lot of facts that can be pieced together ...

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/23/74445...ation-proposal

there are 36MM recipients right now. it appears (from the article) those whose qualifications would change are those who are working, but not making enough once they cross the poverty $ threshold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies