Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 07:13 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,703,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Buttigeig is a disgrace to America. Just looking for votes. So sick of uneducated fools tearing down America. Idiots!! Both of them! Their memory is soooo politically convenient.

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, signed after the Mexican-American war (we won)
gave the US ALL those territories. In addition, though we didn't have to, we PAID
Mexico a boatload of money for them.

So, we won them in battle and we paid for them, and yet according to these liars
the land WAS STOLEN..

https://www.dailywire.com/news/butti...ng-stolen-land

Wonder how you would feel about this if you were an American Indian ? We were not exactly "gifted" this land you and I are sitting on right now. We have a history of taking, by force, land that was not ours for the taking.

If our hands were clean we would not have any room to complain, but they are not. We are as dirty in this regard as any other nation that has taken someone else's land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 08:50 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,236,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why isn't the Mexican government making claims on the U.S. today then? It's merely peasant Mexicans who are and they weren't even alive back then. Besides, most Mexicans are half Spanish and their ancestors were just as much conquerors of land, etc. as any other Europeans were so they have no room to talk!
They don't actually want the land back. That's not what it's about. If it were Mexico, they wouldn't want to live there.

People are using this history just to make the political claim that they don't have to obey our immigration laws.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 PM

929 posts, read 400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Wonder how you would feel about this if you were an American Indian ? We were not exactly "gifted" this land you and I are sitting on right now. We have a history of taking, by force, land that was not ours for the taking.

If our hands were clean we would not have any room to complain, but they are not. We are as dirty in this regard as any other nation that has taken someone else's land.
What would North America look like if the Native Americans were just left to themselves I wonder...

Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Buttigeig? Uneducated?

/roflmao
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2019, 06:38 AM

63,022 posts, read 29,235,885 times
Quote:

Throughout history wars have been fought and lands have exchanged hands. There was no stolen land as it was never owned in the first place. Should we go back in history and reverse everything in the world today?

The so-called dirty hands that you mentioned belong to dead people from long ago and has nothing to do with those of us alive today. Yes, we have every right today to complain about illegal immigration and to do something about it. Every country in the world today has immigration laws and rightly so!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:42 AM

8,959 posts, read 2,566,804 times
Quote:

Land does not inherently "belong" to anyone and those who claim a right to land are just the last people to conquer that land. Saying that you conquered land a long time ago does not inherently give you a right to the land if you can't control it any more than those you took the land from had a right to it. The ability to defend and prevent others from taking land is the only thing that gives anyone a right to claim land for their own. That has literally always been the case, and will literally always be the case.....though for whatever reason, it's trendy to pretend otherwise.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:06 AM

26,566 posts, read 15,136,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They signed a treaty and took money for it.

If you accept money in exchange for something, you can't claim that it was 'stolen' from you. If they want to "reclaim" anything, they need to think about giving the money back - adjusted for inflation.
Absurd.

They accepted a lesser amount of money for it after rejecting an offer to buy it for a larger amount before we initiated the war and then were coerced at the barrel of a gun while occupying their capital and threatening to take more land.

If I offered to buy your car for $5 and you said no, and then I pulled out a gun and offered now $1 under the threat of death - forcing you to sign the title over, but you signed off for a buck...you'd say that I stole it and be miffed that I claimed I bought it fair and square.

Look, I don't want to give the land back, but the logic to say it wasn't taken by military conquest is absurd.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:09 AM

26,566 posts, read 15,136,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There was no "uninhabited land" in the 1800s. You forget the First Nations people lived there for millennia.
You are right to a point and people like Geronimo fought both the Mexican and US governments.

However, this land was really so sparsely populated in a way that people have trouble imagining that it isn't a stretch to claim that much of it was uninhabited.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:30 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,200,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...he wasn't nodding...he was giving him the 'once over'...

Hahahaha! I just spewed coffee all over my laptop.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:54 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The earth belongs to all of us. Now can we get high and laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies