Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:48 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
well. so much for cooking, heating, or boiling water.....when the power goes off

In the mean time, China and the developing world are all increasing burning coal and building coal plants.....and laughing their a$$es off at us
T
Take a visit to Beijing and see how long you can last without a gas mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 06:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
T
Take a visit to Beijing and see how long you can last without a gas mask.

China's pollution problems are multi-faceted. One major issue is residential heating, many use a very low quality coal to heat. If they had access to anthracite coal or natural gas the air quality would be greatly improved.

Power plants are another issue, they do not operate under the same regulations as those in the US.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:58 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I prefer to dry clothes in a natural gas dryer than an electric one. It's far cheaper, uses a tiny amount of energy compared to an electric dryer and finishes the clothes faster than the electric that it replaced.

Heating hot water, cooking and central heat are much much better with natural gas than with electricity. Nobody, except for maybe some loons, wants an all electric house around here.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
We love fossil fuels and the sight of H2S lighting the evening sky.
Do you like the smell of H2S (hydrogen sulfide) too?

Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Do you like the smell of H2S (hydrogen sulfide) too?

Natural Gas is the cleanest fossil fuel we have, and we have LOTS of it. It makes absolutely NO SENSE to ban it. NONE. You can't be serious.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:53 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They are all part of a cycle but wood is a very rapid one. If you own 20+/- acres of woods the amount of wood you are burning to heat one home is replaced with new growth. As long as the land area can sustain that your carbon footprint is 0.

You can do this sustainably but the figure I came up with was an area the size of Alaska, CA, Texas and a smaller sate. It's just not realistic and that's before you get into the issues with PM etc.

This is the reason that the White Mountains (upper range of the Appalachians in VT and NH) have rocky peaks (despite being below the timberline), while taller mountains in NC still have trees at the top.

Excessive forestry not only removed the trees, but destroyed the soil forever.

Resorting to wood for fuel would be INSANE and would be an ecological disaster. However, libs are eco-terrorists.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:59 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And you thought it was only going to be plastic bags and straws. Boys & Girls this only the beginning. Get ready to freeze and starve in the near future...God help us!

https://news.yahoo.com/cities-no-nat...204231281.html
Well, that is just stupid. Why not ban diesel and gasoline power automobiles too?

Old 12-10-2019, 07:03 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I prefer to dry clothes in a natural gas dryer than an electric one. It's far cheaper, uses a tiny amount of energy compared to an electric dryer and finishes the clothes faster than the electric that it replaced.

Heating hot water, cooking and central heat are much much better with natural gas than with electricity. Nobody, except for maybe some loons, wants an all electric house around here.
That's the one gas appliance I don't have. My stove and water heater are gas, my drier is electric. It was like that when I bought the house, and never thought to switch it over to gas.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Resorting to wood for fuel would be INSANE and would be an ecological disaster. However, libs are eco-terrorists.

I'm not saying it would be sane but you can do this sustainably. The only problem is the massive amount space required to do it sustainably which is what would make it insane. In my neck of the woods they harvest only the large trees, they may only cut down the trees 2 to 3 feet in diameter or larger. They will also cut down anything less that 6 inches or whatever it is and leave it there. What is left is now primed for growth because they aren't competing with the big trees for sun and aren't competing with the small trees for ground resources. Rinse and repeat 50 years from now.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You left out SAFETY. Underground natural gas pipelines have a terrible safety record -- entire neighborhoods have been destroyed by gas pipeline leaks that ignite and explode. Deaths and injuries occur from natural gas pipeline explosions several times a year. Underground electric is extremely safe, far safer than gas.

Another advantage of an all-electric home is if you want to put solar panels on the roof to generate your own power you have that option. You can't make your own natural gas -- you are hostage to whatever price your utility wants to charge.
Your mention of gas pipeline safety is overblown, and I thought I read somewhere that people have been electrocuted.

BTW, how would one power their standby generator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies