Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 10:29 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I can't speak for those posters and don't know what to tell you on your perceptions. My perceptions are different.

I was a poor dark-skinned kid who grew up in America's worst ghetto at the height of crack. I'm not saying that to claim some bad ass title. Just saying that when I see freaks, wannabe gangsters, whatever (and you get it all out here daily) it doesn't phase me.

I also see hippies who appear homeless but then get into $300K cars then drive up the PCH to Malibu.

Whatever.

I haven't lived in middle America so I don't what it was like or what it's "suppose to be like". Lord knows I'm not going back into the ghetto for sh*ts & giggles now either. I worked my butt off to get out of that hellhole. I'm too dainty and sensitive In my old age anyway.

The only exposure I get to white suburban middle class people is when I go back to my native Ohio and visit my elderly mother. It's brief but I just see regular white folks like you'd see on tv. They don't say or do anything to me and I'm not white. Are they hiding their thuggery around a former ghetto kid?
I kind of feel bad for you, my friend. Because you THOUGHT you were escaping the ghetto, but.....

For 100 years, America operated with a safe, subconscious assumption that the thug/gangster life was a few people in a few small places. And that’s how thug/gangster life actually WAS. YOU probably labored under that subconscious assumption, too....that what you were leaving behind would remain in stasis. But my, how fast that stasis blew up.
You’d better keep running, because the ghetto is following you. I guess it didn’t want to stay as just a few people in a few small places.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yeah, most of them live in healthy middle class families.

But they want to play at being gangster, and its not just a few people anymore. Its visually off putting and a sign of decay.

I don't want people to be orthodox or super conservative, just normal. But that's too much to ask for.
Where do "normal" people live now then?

Are you telling me I can fly up from L.A. to Manchester or Caribou and I'm going to see the same freaks/wannabes I see here daily?

Old 12-09-2019, 10:33 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Gangsta rap peaked in the early 1990s. Thug culture/attire has been on the decline since the early 2000s, though there will always be an element of that.

People thought Elvis shaking his hips was immoral back in the day and people thought the world was ending during the hippie era.
One noteworthy criticism of gangsta rap is that it can help further cement that common stereotype of Blacks being thugs, whores, or the like!

Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Yet you guys had some cop hating thrashing music of your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiCTq_AHcqw

And it's on my spotify(though I don't hate cops).

Old 12-09-2019, 10:39 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Where do "normal" people live now then?

Are you telling me I can fly up from L.A. to Manchester or Caribou and I'm going to see the same freaks/wannabes I see here daily?
Not as bad, no.

I've been to venice beach and most of the people were beyond disturbing, and this is a supposed tourist hot spot.

Been around a bunch of places in LA and its obviously worse there. The rich are more counter culture, as well as the middle class, and the homeless are homeless. Some ghetto people as well.

But I'm saying relative to what we have to deal with, New Hampshire is getting progressively worse year by year.

You wouldn't see it and I'd rather live in Manchester than anywhere in the traffic filled hell hole that is Los Angeles, but its getting worse.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I agree 100%.

The rap gang culture is pathetic and seeing people with tattoos and pierced skin is repulsive. Hair dye, loud gangster rap, and 'modern aesthetic' are ruining people, architecture, and dialect.

Even here in New Hampshire a ton of legitimately attractive girls who are fit and really smart wear nose piercing which are just off-putting and disturbing.

And consumer electronics like airpods are making it worse. I don't want a pristine orthodox religious population were people dress obsessively conservative.

I just want people to be normal, is that too hard?
What is normal?

You also described the punk scene aswell..

Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Everywhere in America it seems to be looking and feeling more third world by the day. It's no surprise with so many from the third world arriving constantly. Plus economic policies have been gutting opportunities for the average person, and leftist and the media promoting trash culture. It's kind of amazing America isn't a third world country already.
You are very much correct.

Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is "gang or thug culture"? Urban gangs have been with us for decades. Ever see West Side Story?
There were Irish gangs in the past, and Italian ones, Jewish ones, and even today there are Russian gangs operating in the USA.

Side of hiphop most of you don't see:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ole+apparently

Old 12-09-2019, 10:54 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The whole country is the ghetto, in 2019. Every square foot.
So grab your passport, pack your bags, and leave.

The rest of us will live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies