Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: drugs?
Legalize all drugs 29 43.94%
legalize pot, x, lsd, mushrooms 8 12.12%
only pot 16 24.24%
none 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

People should put aside their prejudices and think hard about it.

In the turn of the 20th century cocaine and heroin were legal and alot of people became addicted.But there wasn't much public knowledge about " the cravings" at the time.Today is different it is widely known about the dangers and people who are using it now illegally are just about the same people who will use it if it were legal.

Most people who aren't using drugs now wouldn't anyway if it were legal.so prohibition is a failure.

But what prohibition has done is giving violent gangs and criminals a source of employment,and most killings and shooting are drug related.You worry about saving a life and therefore ban drugs?,more people are dying from it being illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
There are many companies making money from the war on drugs. If teh war ended these companies woulf fold and thier legal and illegal contriutions would cease. don't hold your breath.

Legalizing hard narcotics would be an experiment in extreme survival of the fittest.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
Looking back at history, one can see the crime that prohibition of alcohol caused...and people continued to drink. The same thing is happening with marijuana and hard drugs. Our prisons are overrun with people serving time for petty drug crimes; gangs and the like make areas unsafe while protecting their "territory", and otherwise law-abiding citizens have their lives ruined for having a small amount of cocaine, marijuana, ecstasy, etc. on their person.

When these drugs were made illegal they were also being placed in goods sold in stores...in cough medicine, in sodas...the general public didn't have much knowledge about the effects or the physically addictive nature of the substance.

Addiction as a disease is a fallacy. One can become mentally or physically addicted to a substance but it is not a disease. It is not an involuntary affliction such as cancer, lesions, or a heart condition...one makes a conscious decision to partake of the substance or not. Also, rehab programs and 12-step groups have the same rate of success as people who choose to stop abusing substances on their own. Therefore, if these drugs were legalized, no tax monies should be used for such programs.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
So there are a lot of threads about legalizing marijuana, so please do not talk about pot in this thread. But for the reasons of limiting violent crime caused by the illicit drug trade, should all drugs be legalized, such as heroin, crack, cocaine, & meth?

I think there are valid arguments to be made on both sides. i am honestly not sure about the "hard" drugs. I believe pot, ecstasy, LSD, and psycobin mushroom should be legal. But are some things really just too bad for society not to ban?

I think the illicit drug trade would stop, but at what price?

there is only one valid argument. do we live in a free society or not?

if we live in a free society we embrace freedom for all its benefits and its shortcomings and we embrace that the buck stops with us. if we abuse drugs, alcohol, food, driving, people, our job etc then we deal with the consequences.

if we want govt to decide what is good for us then we must except that there will be times when they will prohibit things that we do like. next on their list is the 2nd ammendment. after that maybe they'll turn their hand to regulating or outlawing religion, next perhaps they'll mandate that growing your own food is a health hazzard and that may be outlawed. maybe then they'll decide that paper id is not sufficient and we ought to be fitted with a chip like dogs.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
I think that soft drugs should be legal, and taxed like crazy. Those taxs can be used for rehabilitation programs (so the common people dont have to worry about it).

as far as hard drugs are concerned, there is the theory that all the idiots would kill themselves out quickly and there would only be about a year of chaos and eventually the idiots would die off. But ive been on buses with people who are obviously on crack and holy crap thats kinda scary... im not so sure id support anything like this.
ok, so you've been on buses with crack heads on them therefore you must conclude that the war on drugs isn't working. what difference would it make if it was legal? perhaps some orwellian surveillance laws would be revoked.

i see the war on drugs as an excuse to give govt the power to spy on us and have more control over us.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I say legalize everything. This is a free country is it not? An adult should have the right to do what ever they so please as long as it is not harming others and it is done in private.

Ron Paul should have been president seriously so this "War on Drugs" crap could have ended. Prisons are overflowing not with rapists, thieves, and frauds no those people are roaming our streets instead they are overflowing with the crack heads,coke whores, heroine fiends, and pot heads. I do not feel that is right.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
THIS IS A SILENT FILM FROM 1916 ABOUT COCAINE IT'S ALSO A COMEDY IF YOU CAN BELIEVE IT WE DARE YOU TO CHECK IT OUTCoke Enneday: The Mystery of the Leaping Fish 1916 The Mystery of the Leaping Fish is a 1916 short film starring Douglas Fairbanks and Bessie Love. In this unusually broad comedy for Fairbanks, the acrobatic leading man plays "Coke Enneday," a cocaine-shooting detective parody of Sherlock Holmes given to injecting himself with cocaine from a bandolier of syringes worn across his chest and liberally helping himself to the contents of a hatbox-sized round container of white powder labeled "COCAINE" on his desk. The movie, written by D.W. Griffith, Tod Browning, and Anita Loos, displays a surreally lighthearted attitude toward cocaine and opium. Fairbanks otherwise lampoons Sherlock Holmes with checkered detective hat, coat, and even car, along with the aforementioned propensity for injecting cocaine whenever he feels momentarily down, then laughing with delight. In addition to observing visitors at his door on what appears to be a closed-circuit television referred to in the title cards as his "scientific periscope," a clocklike sign on the wall reminds him to choose between EATS, DRINKS, SLEEPS, and DOPE. leapingfish (http://www.2010homelesschampions.ca/video/leapingfish.html - broken link)

Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
It's bad enough dealing with dopes. Dopes on dope would be worse. Imagine trying to have a lucid conversation with a burned out, blitzed out dope ? How fun is that ? your bus driver on dope...a winding mountain road.....an argument with another person on DOPE.... the dope passengers all go off a cliff....doped up.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Who am I to tell any adult what they can or can't do with their body.

Drugs should be regulated, controlled, and monitored for saftey.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
So there are a lot of threads about legalizing marijuana, so please do not talk about pot in this thread. But for the reasons of limiting violent crime caused by the illicit drug trade, should all drugs be legalized, such as heroin, crack, cocaine, & meth?

I think there are valid arguments to be made on both sides. i am honestly not sure about the "hard" drugs. I believe pot, ecstasy, LSD, and psycobin mushroom should be legal. But are some things really just too bad for society not to ban?

I think the illicit drug trade would stop, but at what price?
I certainly can see the reason for legalizing pot but my concern is all other drugs and the minute we legalize one we are opening the door to the rest. We already have too many mind altering options as far as I am concerned.

Now, before I turn on the ARmy/Navy game, where is my glass of wine?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies