Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 05:31 PM

19,863 posts, read 9,424,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The UK ishttps://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/editor/separator.gif an island off the coast of Northwestern Europe. It's not IN Western Europe. Nobody but advocates of the "Remain" campaign have ever called themselves "Europeans". The British are not Europeans.
Oh, please. That is like saying that Sicily is not part of Italy, or that Japan is not part of Asia.

If the UK is not European, then pray tell what continent does it belong to?

Hint: Google "What continent does the UK belong to?"

You are just being nit-picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 05:33 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,616,781 times
Quote:
The UK is an island off the coast of Northwestern Europe. It's not IN Western Europe. Nobody but advocates of the "Remain" campaign have ever called themselves "Europeans". The British are not Europeans.

The UK is an island nation, but it is still genetically, culturally and geographically European.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:35 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Because "facts" don't need insult. If you want a discussion then keep it honest.

A bit rich, considering you have consistently responded to remain supporters with "you lost, get over it". But ignore my 'insult', and lets discuss the facts I mentioned first.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:36 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,698,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, please. That is like saying that Sicily is not part of Italy, or that Japan is not part of Asia.

If the UK is not European, then pray tell what continent does it belong to?

Hint: Google "What continent does the UK belong to?"

You are just being nit-picky.
Well if you want to get technical, there really is no such continent called Europe. That's a social designation, not a geographic one. The continent is Eurasia.

And it seems to me the people in say Germany and France look at the English as Anglos, not Europeans.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:44 PM
B87

Quote:
Well if you want to get technical, there really is no such continent called Europe. That's a social designation, not a geographic one. The continent is Eurasia.

And it seems to me the people in say Germany and France look at the English as Anglos, not Europeans.

Anglos is short for Anglo-Saxon. They are European. There are also many UK natives with Norman or Basque heritage.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Anglos is short for Anglo-Saxon. They are European. There are also many UK natives with Norman or Basque heritage.
In this context it means English speakers. Closer aligned to Americans, Canada, Australia, than Europe.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:54 PM
B87

Quote:
In this context it means English speakers. Closer aligned to Americans, Canada, Australia, than Europe.

The UK is more culturally aligned to Europe than the US (a lot of US culture is completely alien to the UK in modern times). I'd say the closest culturally to the UK are New Zealand, Ireland, Australia, Netherlands, France (especially SE England) in that order.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:13 PM

19,863 posts, read 9,424,417 times
Quote:
Yes, believe it or not, I knew that! However, I was sticking with the word choice of the posters in this thread so far.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, believe it or not, I knew that! However, I was sticking with the word choice of the posters in this thread so far.
Indeed.

But some of them still think BRexit is an option, not a fact.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:31 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,519,682 times
Quote:
The UK is an island off the coast of Northwestern Europe. It's not IN Western Europe. Nobody but advocates of the "Remain" campaign have ever called themselves "Europeans". The British are not Europeans.

The British don't even consider themselves to be called British first.
I'm English and then British in much the same way as most self-respecting Scots or Welsh people would consider themelves to be British after their native country.
Few people I know consider themselves to be Europeans. Of Europe maybe and with a tremendous liking for much of the place.
But historically Britain's island status has always made us feel slightly different about the continent than mainland Europe.
Plus the fact that with the help of the Allies we did liberate rather a lot of the place during the last world war - that always seemed to be conveniently forgotten when various tinpot EU politicians, often rewarded with plum jobs in Brussels after failing magnificently in their own countries, lectured Blighty on its role in Europe.
When Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party were told to leave the European parliament " and take your flags with you " this week I wondered how many of those bloated bureacrats and freeloading politicians remembered that in 1944 when British tanks rolled into Brussels the local citizens were delighted to fly the Union Jack.
The woman giving the orders for Farage and co to leave was Irish - the country whose President was the first person through the doors of the German Embassy in Dublin to sign the Book of Condolences opened up after the death of Herr Hitler.
And the country that Britain bailed out to the tune of £3.5billion a few years ago when the country went bust and there was no money in the ATMs.
The Irish always were ungrateful scrotes.

We are so much better off being out of the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies