Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 08:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,253,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd rather not have a gun in the hands of every nut in America. Or that Americans not have to carry guns to church to feel safe. Can't you get your head around such a simple concept?
As long as liberals don’t have guns, you have your wish that nuts don’t have guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 08:53 PM

18,740 posts, read 7,635,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Great!

So now, instead of a simple mass killing we have a wild-west-style shootout!

/sarc
Didn't have to be that way.

The headline could have read, "Suspect shoots 23 people in church, keeps reloading until police arrive and kill him".

And from reading your post, I gather that you would prefer it that way.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:57 PM

15,895 posts, read 6,357,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's not horsecrap logic, not at all. Reread the murderous intent part, any device can be used to a murderous end. Joe Pesci killed a guy with a fountain pen. Lol, that was a joke but it still sorta fits.

A gun is simply a tool. How about we look at reasonable guns laws, mental health issues and a few other things.

Taking guns away simply leaves average law abiding citizens at a disadvantage as the bad guys will always get gun access.

Look, I don't even own guns here and I'm looking at the big picture.
I own guns. Well, my husband does. I agree with the reasonable gun laws. You went all hysterical and suggested people wanted to ban guns. Even if someone wanted to ban guns saying people can't own guns so no one will get shot isn't even remotely the same as saying we should ban cars or pens or Louisville sluggers. The risk/reward isn't even in the same ballpark (see what I did). The whole idea behind gun laws isn't to prevent all violent crimes anyway. It's to prevent gun crimes. See very specific. We all know someone can use another type of weapon or even their bare hands.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:03 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I own guns. Well, my husband does. I agree with the reasonable gun laws. You went all hysterical and suggested people wanted to ban guns. Even if someone wanted to ban guns saying people can't own guns so no one will get shot isn't even remotely the same as saying we should ban cars or pens or Louisville sluggers. The risk/reward isn't even in the same ballpark (see what I did). The whole idea behind gun laws isn't to prevent all violent crimes anyway. It's to prevent gun crimes. See very specific. We all know someone can use another type of weapon or even their bare hands.
If your post has a point, I can't find it.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If your post has a point, I can't find it.
When people say that "banning" guns to prevent gun violence makes as much sense as "banning" cars to prevent violence from cars they fail to include the value lost from not having cars to drive. Most people would not be negatively affected if they didn't have a gun to shoot but they would be hugely affected by not having a car. Cars are worth the risk. Are guns?

Old 12-29-2019, 09:10 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Quote:
I didn't go hysterical, I drew a logical line of reasoning, that was all I did. Yes, you mam are mistaken and utterly mistaken if you don't think that some people want to ban all guns. I'm not saying all do, but a growing segment of society is going that way. If you cant see that then I don't know what to say here.

Signed a concerned non-gun owner 2nd amendment rights advocate.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:12 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
Quote:
When people say that "banning" guns to prevent gun violence makes as much sense as "banning" cars to prevent violence from cars they fail to include the value lost from not having cars to drive. Most people would not be negatively affected if they didn't have a gun to shoot but they would be hugely affected by not having a car. Cars are worth the risk. Are guns?

Yes. The last CDC study showed over a million defensive gun uses yearly. And banning guns would have no effect on criminals. Look how good banning illegal drugs works.What about hunting? Thousand would die each year from deer/car wrecks.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,231,025 times
All I'm gonna say is, use them wisely.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I didn't go hysterical, I drew a logical line of reasoning, that was all I did. Yes, you mam are mistaken and utterly mistaken if you don't think that some people want to ban all guns. I'm not saying all do, but a growing segment of society is going that way. If you cant see that then I don't know what to say here.

Signed a concerned non-gun owner 2nd amendment rights advocate.
I pointed out why that's not a logical line of reasoning. The issue is gun violence, not violence in general. You widened the scope to include something gun laws up to banning could never address. At the present time, we don't have a way to stop people from using violence.

I'm sure there are people who want to ban all guns. I'd put that figure about as high as people on the other side of the debate that want violent felons to have them.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yes. The last CDC study showed over a million defensive gun uses yearly. And banning guns would have no effect on criminals. Look how good banning illegal drugs works.What about hunting? Thousand would die each year from deer/car wrecks.
I'm not for banning guns. I was just pointing out hyperbole isn't cutting it. I understand if we make certain laws that criminals will still buy and sell them to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies