Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 01:47 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Science isn't always what people think it is !!! Scientist are people and often get it wrong !!!

Garbage in = Garbage out, still applies !!!

Nobel Prize-winning scientist retracts paper, saying results were not 'reproducible'
https://www.foxnews.com/science/nobe...retracts-paper

Frances Arnold, an American scientist and winner of the Nobel Prize in chemistry, retracted a paper published last year after admitting to faulty research.
So someone was wrong and then admitted it. The wrongness happened because they were busy. What is even the point of posting that? Duh...people are wrong sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Climate Change will be a non issue once the money & attempted power grab is removed

Then we can just enjoy the typical 17 to 25 year cycle that Mother provides
The argument that climate change is a money and power grab has never made any sense. You don't gain votes by telling people they'll have to pay carbon taxes and such. You lose money and power.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..you left out tsunamis and earthquakes...and the occasional meteor

In order to know something is "forcing" (creating a change)..you have to know what the base line is...
In order to know we are making the temperature change..you have to know exactly what the temp is supposed to be right now

No scientist knows what the temp is supposed to be right now....it's called science. Look it up.
Based off everything I've read it's simpler than that.

Earth is warming, if we look at the global average over the past several decades. There are only two ways for that to happen. Either the Sun has to be giving Earth more energy, or Earth has to be holding in energy from the Sun better. The Sun hasn't been giving off any more energy in recent decades, so something must be holding in energy from the Sun better...or perhaps reflecting it away less well.

Now...if you've read of a way in which Earth could be preventing heat from escaping better than prior to the past few decades that would have a major effect that doesn't involve humanity that hasn't been refuted, I'd welcome hearing it. I'm not going to list all the possibilities and how they're refuted here though. That would take awhile for me, and I'm not willing to spend that time re-looking up that data unless someone will read it.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:36 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And how do you know what liberals do or don't do. Hybrid car sales are going thru the roof. Who buys them? Liberals that's who since Conservatives hate anything that helps the environment. Liberals also recycle a lot unlike Conservatives who like to dump their trash on the roadside. Who buys the most solar panels, I bet ya it's those evil liberals again since Conservatives love their coal and big oil. Climate change is a big threat to the world, turn off Fox news and quit listening to Conservative pundits and you may actually learn something!
Thanks for the laugh^^^^

There is so much wrong in your post. Way to paint everybody with the same brush.

Liberals talk out of both sides of their mouths. They wring their hands about the environment but have no problems with allowing into this country on an annual basis, 1 million legal immigrants. They love illegals and fight tooth and nail to keep them here. The same illegals who have large carbon footprints. They don't get that you can't wring your hands over the environment while cheering on hyper immigration. IOW, they are hypocrites.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So what caused all the extremely, wild swings in Climate prior to Man, and prior to Man's Industrialization? The climate has always changed, and much more drastically than the WEATHER changes you people are pushing. This is nothing compared to what has occurred before, and all was NATURAL CLIMATE CHANGE.
Natural factors like Milankovitch cycles, volcanic eruptions, etc.

Nobody's saying the environment doesn't change naturally. The issue is...nobody can think of natural ways the current climate could be warming the way it is.

Quote:
No, we are not destroying the planet, and we are not going to believe your false, non-science, made up, cooked "studies" to force massive INCOME and WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION. No, we don't believe propaganda and alarmist tactics. We are not weak minded, and easily duped like some.
Oh, I think you are Otherwise you would not have posted such an odd statement. You would, instead, have realized that if you do have an argument against climate change, that warrants research and links...given that you're saying a majority of climate scientists are wrong. Otherwise there's no point in making your statement.

I think the oil companies and the big business-loving right have brainwashed you into thinking people know a lot less about this than they do.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thanks for the laugh^^^^

There is so much wrong in your post. Way to paint everybody with the same brush.

Liberals talk out of both sides of their mouths. They wring their hands about the environment but have no problems with allowing into this country on an annual basis, 1 million legal immigrants. They love illegals and fight tooth and nail to keep them here. The same illegals who have large carbon footprints. They don't get that you can't wring your hands over the environment while cheering on hyper immigration. IOW, they are hypocrites.
I have no idea why immigrants would have any higher carbon footprints than anyone else.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
SO again. Why don't these "majority of Americans" drive electric cars and have solar panels on their roofs? Are they carpooling?? If not, then they don't truly think its that big of a deal. Much less a world ending problem. Do you have an electric car or solar power??? My guess is no.
If they don't think it's a big deal...that's not a liberal problem. That's a human problem, because I know for a fact most people on this forum haven't even spent a few hours researching their opinions on global warming, despite confidently believing it's all bunk. They are willing to totally ignore something they know many people believe to be a major threat to the species...because of the same sorts of reasons that those liberals aren't using carpools.

That's just how humans work. We'll always far more willing to put energy into our families or our own interests than the needs of the species. WW2 was an exception. I'm not sure why there was so much patriotism towards that but so little when it comes to researching global warming...but I can't think of any other exceptions to the general rule that people are going to put themselves far ahead of the needs of the species.

Which is why we need laws or technological innovation or something stronger than social movements to accomplish anything.

Now...if I see that people actually start researching global warming more and making sound arguments against it...then I might start DOING things to reduce my carbon footprint more...but if none of you people care that much, which you prove by not having researched global warming despite having strong opinions about it...I'm not going to act like I care about it anymore than anyone else.

EVERYONE, RESEARCH GLOBAL WARMING ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY MAKE SOME KIND OF COHERENT ARGUMENT FOR WHY IT'S NOT A PROBLEM...MAYBE THEN THE LIBERALS EVERYBODY'S BADMOUTHING FOR NOT DOING ENOUGH TO REDUCE THEIR CARBON FOOTPRINT WOULD FEEL LESS LIKE THEIR ACTIONS ARE A WASTE OF TIME! PROVE YOU'RE ALL NOT A BUNCH OF SELF-CENTERED NIHILISTS WHO DON'T CARE WHETHER OR NOT OUT SPECIES ENDS! PROVE THAT YOU GLOBAL WARMING DENIERS ARE NOT THE OVERWHELMING TSUNAMI THAT SWEEPS AWAY ALL PROGRESS AND GIVES LIBERALS NO HOPE OF CHANGING ANYTHING!

You people wonder why liberals don't care much...well look at your own posts. It's just an endless tide of poorly thought out impulse-driven garbage. Why would people feel like they're capable of fighting such a tidal way of garbage?

Furthermore...there are laws, like emissions regulations, that can help our economy over the long run in a very easy way for society through motivating the development of the sorts of vehicles that will be inevitably more popular in the future. No matter how many social movements we have, we can't permanently change society through social movements. Social movements are neither hugely important nor a long term solution. We can't just keep struggling to be better people all the time. We need laws molding society in a way that makes being better people easier for us or we'll just get tired and stop at some point. We need laws so that we don't have to agonizingly make unnecessary efforts ourselves. We don't have the time for that, most of the time. We're too busy working, spending time with our families, etc.

Last edited by Clintone; 01-06-2020 at 03:18 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
.................. provided there is no means of eliminating that atmospheric CO2 (and there is).

We call those means the ocean and plants.
True. Those have finite limits, however. Currently the ocean is absorbing more C02 than it releases. What's thought to have caused interglacial periods to become as warm as they did, however, was oceans outgassing - releasing more C02 as Earth warms. Warmer ocean water is less good at absorbing C02. Plants, too, can store a finite amount of C02, as can the soil.

Phytoplankton - microscopic ocean plants - are pretty good at trapping C02 though, because they'll die and sink to the bottom of the ocean, taking the C02 with them. So, one possible way of combating climate change would be to seed our oceans with iron to encourage phytoplankton growth. Problems with that, however, would be that we'd be engaging in a massive experiment, and if something goes wrong that would effect us worldwide. We'd also need to cooperate as a species, which we're pretty bad at. Also...I'd suspect we'd still need new environmentally friendly technologies and things like that, because we'll just keep keep increasing our C02 output as nations industrialize anyway.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:30 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
That's funny coming from the party that is pro life but have no problem locking kids in cages, separating them from their families and kicking kids off healthcare and assistance. They can't be taken seriously.
LOL, just remember that your hero, Obama, also used the same policy as Trump.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:34 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Dems and liberals endlessly call climate change the greatest threat to the world, yet none of them actually make changes in their personal lives to fight it. How many actually have electric cars or solar panels? How many actually work to reduce their carbon footprints?

Yep, its called hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies