Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 06:56 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
It is just as important to remember that Obama’s “ deal” , was a worthless piece of paper without Congressional approval. And stacks of cash , used to fuel more death and destruction was the exact reason Trump tightened the economic screws. If it was an actual Treaty , then you might have a point. But that clearly isn’t the case. The cash was used to continue to attack our Allies, Israel and Saudi Arabia, and then actual attacks on our Embassy. It is clear that the economic sanctions had no affect on their continued efforts to bring death and destruction to the ME. And days before Soleimani was killed, weren’t there taunts by the Iran Supreme Leader? Then there was the matter of the killing of Iranians protesting in their own country. How many are still in prison subject to torture and abuse? Peace though appeasement Obama style was and is a failure.

How on earth can Dems claim Trump acted without Congressional Approval, when Obama’s “ deaL” did nothing to stop the mayhem, and he didn’t get Congressional approval ? Obama failed without their approval, and crickets?

I think the best thing Americans should focus on is what I just happened to see the other night on Fox. I was checking all the major networks looking at their coverage. There was a disabled Veteran who apparently had nearly half is face blown off, disfigured for life. He was asked his reaction to the death of Soleimani , and he proceeded to show the pictures of some of the hundreds of American Service people killed by IUD’s and explosives. He said their names.

The usual big mouths in Hollywood and entertainers, sports figures and the like should be made to look at the hundreds and hundreds of those pictures. They should be made to hear their names, know what carnage real monsters are responsible for. Maybe then they will get it. Maybe. And that Monster was in the White House , mere feet from Obama.
Following the agreement, there was not a single rocket attack against US interests anywhere in the middle east controlled by Iranian militias, nor any attacks on shipping in the gulf UNTIL Trump walked away from the agreement. And for the record it was not "Obama's" deal, it was a deal with 6 nations all of whom had a more immediate stake in seeing Iran stop nuke development than does the US. The other nations were still honoring their commitments (including Iran) until yesterday.

As for US soldiers being killed and maimed, sorry but that is what war is. Fifty years ago this day I was in the bush in Vietnam seeing my buddies get blown to pieces by enemy booby traps and mortars and such. I am still haunted by the memories. But now, I am sitting on a chair made in Vietnam writing this. I can't say I love all that is Vietnam, but holding grudges for decades and escalating old tensions is not the way you get through the pain, personally or as a nation. Soleimani needed killing to be sure, but we are at peace now. We lost in Iraq like we lost in Vietnam. We should not have killed him at the expense of another war. There is just going to be even more bloodshed, more American lives lost. It's gotta end. We need to suck it up and pull the hell out of Iraq and half the other places on this earth we are policing for the benefit of American corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 07:03 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Yeah, what deal?

Iran never signed any deal. Remember? There weren't no stinking agreement.

https://www-nationalreview-com.cdn.a...not-binding%2F

Quote:
THE CORNER
NATIONAL SECURITY & DEFENSE
A Trip Down Memory Lane: In 2015 the Obama Administration Said the Iran Deal Wasn’t Even a ‘Signed Document’

President Obama and Secretary of State Kerry at a meeting in China in 2016. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)
How easy we forget. On November 19, 2015, the State Department sent a letter to then-Representative Mike Pompeo that severely undercuts the notion that the Iran deal represents any form of binding American commitment. It turns out that the Obama administration not only acknowledged that the deal wasn’t a treaty (obvious enough), but it also admitted that it wasn’t “an executive agreement” or even a “signed document.” Here are the key paragraphs:

The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not a treaty or an executive agreement, and is not a signed document. The JCPOA reflects political commitments between Iran, the P5+1 (the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, China), and the European Union. As you know, the United States has a long-standing practice of addressing sensitive problems in negotiations that culminate in political commitments.

The success of the JCPOA will depend not on whether it is legally binding or signed, but rather on the extensive verification measures we have put in place, as well as Iran’s understanding that we have the capacity to re-impose — and ramp up — our sanctions if Iran does not meet its commitments.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
So much for no more endless wars. In lock step with your narcissistic con man in chief.

I can tell you one thing: my sons won't be fighting if I have any say in it. So I hope you and yours are good and ready to fight for Trump's ego and the failed policy of middle east intervention, tough guys.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:11 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Following the agreement, there was not a single rocket attack against US interests anywhere in the middle east controlled by Iranian militias, nor any attacks on shipping in the gulf UNTIL Trump walked away from the agreement. And for the record it was not "Obama's" deal, it was a deal with 6 nations all of whom had a more immediate stake in seeing Iran stop nuke development than does the US. The other nations were still honoring their commitments (including Iran) until yesterday.

As for US soldiers being killed and maimed, sorry but that is what war is. Fifty years ago this day I was in the bush in Vietnam seeing my buddies get blown to pieces by enemy booby traps and mortars and such. I am still haunted by the memories. But now, I am sitting on a chair made in Vietnam writing this. I can't say I love all that is Vietnam, but holding grudges for decades and escalating old tensions is not the way you get through the pain, personally or as a nation. Soleimani needed killing to be sure, but we are at peace now. We lost in Iraq like we lost in Vietnam. We should not have killed him at the expense of another war. There is just going to be even more bloodshed, more American lives lost. It's gotta end. We need to suck it up and pull the hell out of Iraq and half the other places on this earth we are policing for the benefit of American corporations.
I guess but considering 99.99% of Americans had no idea who this guy was until the Administration wanted you to know who he is, I'd say the situation stinks. And right on cue "give aid and comfort" meme is now front and center with right wing nut jobs, just like it was before the Iraq invasion, and their leaders, Hannity O'Reilly and all. You criticize the invasion you give "aid and comfort". Pathetic.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:30 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Why did Trump abandon the Iran nuclear deal

Because like most who live in their own little bubbles far removed from reality he has obsessions that haunt him. His big one is undoing anything Obama did.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What deal?

Are you talking about that piece of paper signed by Kerry? Who in his right mind would make a deal with that horse's ass? All they wanted, and got was the billions of dollars.

There was no deal with the United States.
You seem to be misinformed.

The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action was a 2015 agreement between Iran and China, France, Russia, UK, Germany/ EU and the US. The plan reduced international sanctions on Iran in exchange for agreements to reduce stockpiling of specific nuclear assets and subject themselves to ongoing inspection by the International Atomic Energy Agency. It also created the framework for countries to release Iranian assets that had been frozen by various central banks for nearly 40 years.

The ongoing inspections showed Iran was in compliance and Trump’s SoS concurred.

Israel intelligence claimed Iran was not in compliance and Trump walked away from the agreement and imposed new sanctions in 2018-2019, including cutting off all revenue from Iranian oil exports, the lifeblood of the Iranian economy.

A part of the plan seems to have been to motivate the Iranian people to turn on Ayatollah Khamenei and spur a change in regime.

In the meantime, Pompeo spends a lot of time in the ME with the Saudis and UAE.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
There was a deal. I'm looking for an accurate answer with no bias. Why cancel deal, and not wait for Iran to break the deal?
There was an international deal, Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, between Iran and by China, France, Russia, UK, Germany/ EU and the US executed in 2015, effective 2016.

It subjected Iran to ongoing inspections by an international agency, including the US. It an was in compliance and this was confirmed by Trump’s SoS. Then Israel disclosed intelligence that Iran was not in compliance and new sanctions were imposed.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:54 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,592,663 times
Trump has managed to kill two birds with one stone by undermining US credibility abroad while informing 3rd world nations that there is no upside to remaining denuclearized. This is what happens when you have an intellectually incurious neophyte who governs by gut feeling in office.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM

586 posts, read 315,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Why abandon the deal if Iran was following it?

They weren't following it. They'd get caught cheating, claim they weren't, then claim their cheating was actually allowed. Obama allowed it, even subsidized it. Trump chose not to do so.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM

996 posts, read 379,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

While it was true that the attacks escalated after Trump withdrew, it does not negate the fact that the cash Obama sent them was being funneled to proxy terror groups. It is unknown where some of that Money was sent, and what it will end up being responsible for. It is clear that it would not be used n a positive matter regarding the status of IRanian citizens. Building weapons, moving them to position takes time.

But you miss the point. If you even want to call it an agreement, a deal, any description you choose except the exact word with a definitive structure, meaning and traditional value, treaty.IF one party of a deal pulls out, the course of action is to head back to the exact place the parties were at when the deal was made. The table of negotiation. Not mayhem, bombs, death and destruction. That’s what Pompeo means when he says they are not acting like a country. And he is right , when have they? Since 1979 they have written the book on a constant pattern of funding terrorism, atrocities, death and destruction. And America should keep appeasing that conduct? When you permit you encourage.

Who sets foreign policy for the United States? The UN ? Europe? Really? I thought it was the POTUS according to the Constitution. I thought that treaties are ratified by Congress, not some collection of despots, thugs and foreign countries whose motives may be indeterminable within the framework of our knowledge. And what if the decisions by European countries is in conflict with what is perceived to be best for America? Go along for the ride to be part and parcel of a New World Order ? Where does it stop? Nonsense.

Like it or not, elections have consequences. This POTUS is an elected Official, by the people, for the people. Dems accepted Obama’s search for Peace through Appeasement. Trump doesn’t agree. That is his Constitutional granted right. In contrast, Obama had no Constitutional right beyond a phone and a pen.

Thank you for the sacrifices you and those you know made for our country. But times have changed. Past mistakes like Viet Nam should help to educate us regarding future conflicts. An analogy between the Viet Nam War and the Iraq war and related conflicts is really not an applicable analogy. Southeast Asia , and the conditions there at the time, compared to the Middle East would be a starting point for those discussions.
That would be another topic. The one thing they do have in common is the escalation of both conflicts is that they were both based on lies. I do not however , see the threat of communism in the ME, although theoretically one might consider the long term interests of China in world affairs as being a consideration.

But we are not at Peace.Iran has been chanting , saber rattling “ Death to America” . “ Death to Israel” . Even stronger words. It is easier to ignore if the people making those threats are handcuffed and prevented from doing any harm. That is far from being the case. We have seen their reaction to being cut off from the ability to develop nuclear capabilities, mostly on their terms. Anyone that buys the notion that they seek that ability for domestic energy production probably needs their head examined.
If your perception of Peace is blowing up Saudi oil facilities, capturing American soldiers and using them for propaganda , attacking Embassies , many will strongly disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies