Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Obergefell vs. Hodges (the same-sex marriage decision) be overturned?
Yes 22 20.95%
No 83 79.05%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 03:34 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And you think same-sex marriage is "progress"!

It is no wonder we have so many weirdos in America.

But, actually, I am all for it. The more men marry men and women marry women and the more abortions the dems have, the LESS dems we will have in the future. they will make themselves extinct!
Yes I do think it's progress. Why is that weird? And you really think Dems are the only ones having abortions? My, how naive you must be.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:36 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Because something is doesn't mean that it ought to be.
Who says something you don't agree with shouldn't be? How many gay people who have married have hurt you in any way? Don't want to marry someone of the same sex? Don't. It's that simple.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yes I do think it's progress. Why is that weird? And you really think Dems are the only ones having abortions? My, how naive you must be.
It's the "no true Scotsman fallacy" in play

Old 01-12-2020, 04:14 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
“States like Tennessee” have long demanded that our rights guaranteed by the constitution be respected. The people of Tennessee put conservative religious individuals in the state house because they hold the values that most people in our state hold. We do not want gay marriage here. We do not believe in it. It is our right to not believe in it and not allow it in our state. Have you ever read the 10th amendment? Most leftists hate the 10th amendment almost as much as they hate the 2nd. The federal government has no power to make Tennessee civil laws for us, that power is in the hands of the state.

Leftist have been abusing the 14th amendment to legislate from the bench for decades. They make arguments that it can be used to make conservative places yield to coastal/yankee leftist values. Just know how much we hate and resent those places for this violation of our rights. We will continue to do everything we can to undo what you have done, and in the meantime we will undermine the status quo while we are forced to live with it.

Also something for the leftist to know......you have not changed our opinions on the subject. I was raised to believe homosexuality was wrong and so were everyone I know. The Bible is very clear about condemnation of the homosexual act. Homosexual people love to tell others they are “married” but most people in red states like Tennessee roll their eyes and ignore it. These folks are NOT embraced by decent society. They are just left be. Tennessee is a live and let live state and gays are left to live their lives but by NO MEANS does that mean acceptance. Red state America is vast, most states in the south and in the middle are socially conservative. Your views on things are only accepted in the northeast and the west coast. While I live in Tennessee I believe you could say ALOT of people in much of the rest of America feel the same way.

We don’t want your politically correct America. We do t want your social justice. We despise how your defiling our once great nation.
Outstanding post!

The only thing I would add is that there are lots of us who feel as you do and just as strongly who have never been associated with any organized religion. We all understand what marriage is about and for what is was intended....and that certainly did not include government blessing of perverse sexual practices.

You're absolutely right....LOTS of people in much of the rest of America feel the same way. The pendulum is definitely on the move back toward social sanity....and this ruling will not stand against a social sanity test.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:20 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It took Tennessee until 1978 to repeal anti-miscegenation laws, that’s more than a decade after the Loving v. Virginia
Welp, that was 42 years ago. Those people are dead or dying. I am not a liberal but there are way more in this state than people think.

Quote:
West Knoxville :smack of course your financially conservative since after all how else do you pay for a 300k house.
It's worth well more than that, and that really has nothing to do with it. I've been a fiscal conservative since I understood the concept of money.

Quote:
I actually know a lot of people from west Knoxville and none of them are socially liberal. Tennessee is a Very red state like it or not.
The redneck, poor areas of Tennessee are red, I never said otherwise. You would be very surprised about West Knoxville. A friend of mine is on the election commission (or something--he sees the votes) and I, myself, was shocked when he showed me that virtually all of West Knoxville voted blue in 2016. Bearden, where I live, was overwhelmingly blue. I don't necessarily like that; for social progress it's good but we're already doing car inspections in Nashville thanks to liberals and I sure don't want East TN to flip blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The elected state government and laws of the state are proof of that fact. I do live in an area that is definitely more conservative than you do or as you said a “hillbilly county”. (Classy) However it has been demonstrated that Tennessee overall is one of the most conservative states in the nation and gay marriage is not popular. It also has been pointed out that Tennessee, especially East Tennessee is one of the most religious states in America. In fact a few years back Knoxville was voted the most religious city in America. I’m assuming that you do not want to acknowledge just how conservative the area you call home is.
It is a conservative area, but the majority of Knoxville doesn't go to church like you're suggesting. And I really don't care either way. I am about to be 38 years old and have never felt anything but accepted here. My husband moved here from NY state (liberal hellhole) and feels the same, he lovvvves Knoxville and never wants to live anywhere else. Yes, there are lots of churches but I'm not forced to go to them. I could not care less that the rednecks in 5,000-people counties hate gays. Trailer trash.

There is lots of money, lots of very educated people in the area I live. They don't hate gays. Knoxville is still not a "big city" but it is far more progressive than you think.

Again, I don't give a crap about surrounding counties where people don't finish high school.

There is no place on Earth, literally, that I would rather live than here in Bearden, West Knoxville, Tennessee.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:33 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://www.queerty.com/nearly-100-c...enses-20200108

From the article, Attorney David Fowler is representing 11 Christian ministers who are currently challenging the Tennessee Department of Health over the constitutionality of the state’s marriage license. They claim same-sex marriage poses a “grave civil rights issue” and should not be allowed in the state. They have issued warnings to 100 county clerks to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses. If no action is taken within 60 days, the petitioners plan to file a lawsuit in state court. The hope is that it will make it's way to Trump's conservative SCOTUS and the 2015 Obergefell decision will be reversed.
Newsflash:
The ministers have the right to try to advance causes they believe in, just as you and I do.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
BTW OP I'm surprised I didn't catch it at first, but Queerty is a horrible, insanely biased (not just politically) source.

It's just being dramatic like 85% of gays are.

I had to unfollow them on FB bc it's all BS.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:32 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
How any human being could associate themselves with being a democrat right now is truly beyond me. It's sad but I think a lot of them really do hate America. Or obsess with how we should be like Europe, or my favorite -- how the whole world laughs at us.

I don't agree with everything that the Democratic party supports, but I can't vote for a party that inherently believes I'm evil and sinful for something I can't change and I'm deserving of less rights than heterosexual individuals. I can't vote for a party that demands I conform to a religious moral code I don't believe in or that wants to teach our children that the earth is 6000 years old and that climate change is just a sign Jesus is coming back soon. A party that instead of embracing the 21st century has committed to doing everything it can to roll the clock back to the middle of the last century. I can't vote for a party that believes that a woman's place is in the home, submissive to her husband, and that she shouldn't be allowed to make her own healthcare choices. I can't vote for a party that believes people should be thrown into prison for smoking a joint in the privacy of their own home because for some reason Jesus hates cannabis, despite the fact Genesis states that "God created every herb bearing seed."

I give you the healthcare for illegals thing. Conservative media has taken that way out of context but even if it's 100% true, that's less of a threat to me than these Christian fundamentalists that want to rule our society like it's the dark ages.

As for Europe, it has it's problems but not everything over there is a failure and there are things the US could learn from them just like there are things Europe can learn from the US. Most people have this idea that if it comes from Europe it's evil no matter what it is. That isn't the case.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:43 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
I don't agree with everything that the Democratic party supports, but I can't vote for a party that inherently believes I'm evil and sinful for something I can't change and I'm deserving of less rights than heterosexual individuals. I can't vote for a party that demands I conform to a religious moral code I don't believe in or that wants to teach our children that the earth is 6000 years old and that climate change is just a sign Jesus is coming back soon. A party that instead of embracing the 21st century has committed to doing everything it can to roll the clock back to the middle of the last century. I can't vote for a party that believes that a woman's place is in the home, submissive to her husband, and that she shouldn't be allowed to make her own healthcare choices. I can't vote for a party that believes people should be thrown into prison for smoking a joint in the privacy of their own home because for some reason Jesus hates cannabis, despite the fact Genesis states that "God created every herb bearing seed."
These ministers are doing what you just did, expressing their beliefs.

A nation which will not give them a chance to advance their causes would also not give you the same chance at advancing yours.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
These ministers are doing what you just did, expressing their beliefs.

A nation which will not give them a chance to advance their causes would also not give you the same chance at advancing yours.

Except the ministers are attempting to violate the constitution by imposing their religious rules by force of the state. Their "cause" is taking away other people's rights. Their right ends when it violates somebody else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies