Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Amazing, how back in the 1940s and 1950s. Men looked very masculine, chisled and healthy. Women looked very feminine and very young in comparison to today.

I notice in many liberal cities there are lots of young people who have Rhinophyma from the tremendous amounts of wine, beer and liquor they drink. When I was Provo/Orem people have traditional noses of generations ago, but in cities where excessive wine, hard liquor and drug consumption is the norm there is a tremendous amount of young adults who have what looks to be Rhinophyma.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ohol-men-study

There are still many decent traditional looking people when I go to parts of rural America. Fargo, Lincoln, Kearney, Laramie people still look like models very similar to average person in the 1940s.

In bigger cities though, it is amazing to be on a Subway or train and notice how something has changed and many of the women look very, very masculine with shockingly big facial features. The men look very soft and feminine.

In small towns up north many men are 6 foot or more, while in cities like LA, Denver, San Diego the average man is about half a foot shorter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobsikT0Gr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsjQK6yu7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Gdjj-RZo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdT8lJeAq9M
These photos look like people in the 20's or 30's so of course they look good. Didn't you look like that when you were that age. I'd love to see photos of them 50 years later. Do you have that? And drinking has nothing to do with weight except a beer belly. Excessive carbs and too much sugar are the problem for weight gain.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:04 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
I am not a fan of Missouri personally. The state has alot of problems. It is mainly Republican, but not the a well-run Republican state like Wyoming, Utah, North Dakota or Nebraska.

Many urban Republicans are failures also. The best of the best is North Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah. Traditional American values that a majority yearn for.

Compare the appearence and healthiness of the residents in Grand Forks, Kearney, Provo, Laramie compared to those in the Bronx and Compton.

The southern Republican states are poorly run in general. Very low quality like Democrat California or NY.
Your objections do not really appear to be liberal vs conservative. They appear to be more like northern vs southern.

I bet if you mapped the cities and states you thought were decent, and the ones you didn't like, most of the ones you thought were decent would be north of about the 40th parallel, and most of the ones you didn't like would be south of the 40th parallel.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Yes, people were definitely thinner back then... but I think that people, especially women, are overall better looking these days.. largely thanks to better hairstyles, better makeup and availability of cosmetic procedures.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Owned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It all has to do with all the junk in food these days and the ever increasing sedentary lifestyle so many are living and it is only going to get worse as the convenience of technology moves into more and more peoples lives.

My mom for example is in her mid 70's and she walks her dogs, cuts her grass, rakes leaves and even shovels her driveway. I try to keep up with her by doing those things plus cutting, splitting wood and being active.

I do think that the thin people the OP is talking about from pre WW2 actually suffered from malnutrition.

Still if you travel to Europe today the people are smaller than most Americans but they are catching up to us.
I agree that it is going to get worse.

I just notice how healthy people looked in the 40s, 50s, 60s overall compared to today.

I don't know if it is the watering down of the good gene pools, what people eat or what is causing many people in their 20s and 30s to look very strange and unhealthy compared to generations past.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Amazing, how back in the 1940s and 1950s. Men looked very masculine, chisled and healthy. Women looked very feminine and very young in comparison to today.

I notice in many liberal cities there are lots of young people who have Rhinophyma from the tremendous amounts of wine, beer and liquor they drink. When I was Provo/Orem people have traditional noses of generations ago, but in cities where excessive wine, hard liquor and drug consumption is the norm there is a tremendous amount of young adults who have what looks to be Rhinophyma.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ohol-men-study

There are still many decent traditional looking people when I go to parts of rural America. Fargo, Lincoln, Kearney, Laramie people still look like models very similar to average person in the 1940s.

In bigger cities though, it is amazing to be on a Subway or train and notice how something has changed and many of the women look very, very masculine with shockingly big facial features. The men look very soft and feminine.

In small towns up north many men are 6 foot or more, while in cities like LA, Denver, San Diego the average man is about half a foot shorter.
<snip>
That's total baloney. The average height of a male in 5'9". There are a lot of people of Scandinavian ancestry here in Denver who are tall, and a lot of people of Mexican ancestry who are shorter, genetically.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/2...eight-obesity/

Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
It’s not a liberal nor conservative issue. This is mainly the result of a sedimentary lifestyle brought on through a combination of Internet, video game systems, and lax parenting. In the era of the before photos there was no video games, no internet, and in some past eras the television only had four networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, & PBS) and all ended broadcast around midnight and didn’t resume broadcast until around 5 or 6 am. Children were allowed and encouraged to play outside. Children were also required to perform chores around the house. People in their teens to wary twenties are burgers and fries and some washed it down with a milkshake or cola. The fries were cooked in lard grease fry machines. The beef used in burgers were greasy from the natural fats. They didn’t use vegetable oil, they used Crisco which had to be melted in the pot before they could fry the food. There were only two types of milk, white or chocolate and both were whole fat milk.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:02 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
my grandparents were chiseled in the 1940s, but they were young then. they also smoked three packs of cigarettes a day, drank Jim Beam with great frequency, and never got any exercise.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:22 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
my grandparents were chiseled in the 1940s, but they were young then. they also smoked three packs of cigarettes a day, drank Jim Beam with great frequency, and never got any exercise.
Maybe yours, but not mine. My grand parents were farm stock. My Grand father lived to be 102 years old and walked all the time. I have never met a couch potato farmer. Maybe a corporate farmer but not a family farmers. In bed by 9pm up at 4 am.
Grand pa made his own wine but I never saw him hit the hard stuff. Well unless he had a chest cold. He would hit a shot and bundle up.

My father was much the same.

The problem with these threads is that they are always a all in thread. Heavy on the stereotype.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Kind of a stupid post since it comes from a member of the party who wants to legalize all drugs.
Just because YOU personally disagree with using drugs...why should that impact other people? Thats kind of like..If I dont agree with what you are saying, I believe your speech should be made criminal...or just because I believe black people should have different bathrooms and drinking fountains...that doesnt mean, they SHOULD by law!!

Its like the old saying about the 1st amendment..." I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it".

in relation to drug use..." I may not agree about using drugs, but I will defend your right to do so".

It should NOT be about how we personally feel about something, instead, it should depend on if the Constitution/ Bill of rights, allow for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies