Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Hell it's not mine. My BMI is far too low, my self worth far to high, and my salary is multiples of the Neanderthals in law enforcement.

Plus I'd struggle to resolve the act of policing laws I don't believe in, and if the law is not mallum in se, I probably don't agree with it.

I am not a big fan of the police and just see them as a necessary evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 06:58 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
I have always thought that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Okay......

If you want cooperation from the police, you need to encourage them. They, in turn, need to understand that leading by example, and encouragement, accomplishes a lot more than trying to be a scoundrel and act like a tough guy when confronting the general public. In the simplest of examples, if you get pulled over for speeding, are you more likely to respond favorably if you are treated with friendly respect and a warning, or given a couple hundred dollar ticket for driving ten miles over the limit on an Interstate? In one instance, you leave thinking that was cooperative, and in the other, you leave thinking the cop was a d*ck and how much you hate them.

Having said that, the police have a thankless job. They encounter, typically, the worst of society at the worst of times. They are asked to make split second decisions with the barest of education and training. As one police captain said to me,"you take an undereducated individual (how many people with a master's degree are bidding for a starting patrolman's job?), put them around others whose testosterone is boiling over (ever notice the butch hair cuts and the bulging muscles?) , give them a gun, and throw in a fast car, and what do you expect"? It is not difficult to figure why we have the problems which we have: The "good guys" get the hook, while the bad perps repeat poor behavior over and over. It is almost a game, except people die while playing.

As with most things in our society, it comes down to education. We put our lowest performers in our most demanding and dangerous situations.

The results are predictable. It is a wonder we do as well as we do. Collectively, it is a pretty good performance, but it could be better if we had better education, better communication, and better cooperation from both sides (it should even be "sides") of the coin.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Is that a company car they let you take home ?
In case people really don't know, that's a Transformers movie joke when one of the Decepticons (the bad guys) transformed into a police car.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
In case people really don't know, that's a Transformers movie joke when one of the Decepticons (the bad guys) transformed into a police car.
Barricade as it happens. I just think it's closer to the truth than "to protect and serve...".

Old 01-15-2020, 07:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovery of Ice View Post
Just because policing is not a big issue in the 2020 elections as it was in 2016, 2000, 1992 and 1988 doesn't mean it is over.

Police are paid to protect and serve and ensure people are safe, not abuse their power.

I hope this is understood.

Cool story, bro.

Politicians are elected to faithfully represent their constituency, not abuse their power. I hope this is understood.

Anyone else have any wishes to add to the jar?

Old 01-15-2020, 07:54 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Some police seem to become arrogant over time and believe that they are your lord and master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies