Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 08:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I rarely see millennials in anything except ultra-lavish luxury cars.
Which ones? Like Ferraris and Bentleys?

All the millenials I know drive middle-of-the road cars, Honda Civics and such.

Ultra-lavish luxury cars cost several hundred grand and up.

Quote:
A vast majority of millennials have not even started a family yet as most are in their mid 20s to early 30s but many, many will have an average of 2 kids each in the next decade as ultimately only a tiny percentage of people don't have children by the time they are 45.
Millenials are 25-39 years old. None are in early 20s. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Which ones? Like Ferraris and Bentleys?

All the millenials I know drive middle-of-the road cars, Honda Civics and such.

Ultra-lavish luxury cars cost several hundred grand and up.

Millenials are 25-39 years old. None are in early 20s. You have no idea what you are talking about.

But he has SEEN it!!! You know, that trumps facts and data.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-24-2020, 08:16 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
They are the biggest generation of useless nothings this country has ever produced. However it’s clearly not their faults.... I blame the baby boomers who product crap offspring (hippies) who in turn passed down their hipster values to their useless kids. The problem never starts with that generation but is handed down and enabled/emboldened by their parents.
Congratulations. I have rarely seen anyone on City-Data present an opinion that generalizes to such a large degree about two different generations of people, and who presents that opinion as fact.

Perfect example of all or nothing, black or white thinking.

How old are you, anyway? I am guessing you were born before 1945.

And, btw, the great majority of the hippies were Boomers (although some were born even before 1945), and not the offspring of Boomers.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But he has SEEN it!!! You know, that trumps facts and data.
Right, and others have SEEN Millennials driving Honda Civics. Neither personal anecdote proves anything.

These are interesting studies - actual studies pulled from actual data:
https://www.carmax.com/articles/whic...oungest-buyers

Quote:
The list, which shows the brands with the highest percentage of buyers that are 18 to 34, is topped by Mitsubishi (18.3%), with its young skewing list of models that includes the Lancer and the Eclipse. Mazda (18%), with the popular Mazda3 and Mazda6, and Volkswagen (17.6%), which features the list topping GTI and Jetta, were next with Nissan (15.6%) and Mini (15%) rounding out the top 5. The industry average was 10.8%.
https://www.truecar.com/blog/top-10-...young-drivers/

Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right, and others have SEEN Millennials driving Honda Civics. Neither personal anecdote proves anything.

These are interesting studies - actual studies pulled from actual data:
https://www.carmax.com/articles/whic...oungest-buyers

https://www.truecar.com/blog/top-10-...young-drivers/

I pulled up some good marketing data, just for a quick fact check. I've lost it now but it had a lot of the demographics.

I'm amazed that someone can look at person and decide "millennial!", I never give a 2nd thought to figuring out someone's age when I am out and about.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
I pulled up some good marketing data, just for a quick fact check. I've lost it now but it had a lot of the demographics.

I'm amazed that someone can look at person and decide "millennial!", I never give a 2nd thought to figuring out someone's age when I am out and about.
At this point Millennial might as well be Gens Y and Z since people keep mislabeling it..

Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Me either.

Not to mention that I have five adult kids who I love who are apparently Millennials - LOL. (All have successfully launched by the way!)

The only time I think about it is when my husband describes some of the youngest people he works with. One of them actually continually says age related negative stuff TO HIM (my husband is what is called a "company man" aka a project manager, and age 62) - as in "That's the old way of doing it - you do it that way because you're old." (And I guess he also gets paid a whole lot more money "because he's old" but I digress!) Anyway, I finally told my husband, "The next time he says anything anything about age, tell him you feel like he's creating a hostile work environment with his discriminatory comments."

Sheeze!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 AM

815 posts, read 737,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
by law, Medicare becomes your primary insurance at 65 if you enroll in it.
This is simply not true. If you continue working full-time and have health coverage through your employer, that insurance policy is the primary payer, with Medicare being secondary. If you are retired and then purchase a supplement policy, in that situation, Medicare is the primary responsible party, followed by the supplement.

It's my job to know these things, and I'm a millennial. I knows it's shocking that I am employed, but I manage to get my work done in between driving my luxury car around and eating tide pods.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:14 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Anyway, I finally told my husband, "The next time he says anything anything about age, tell him you feel like he's creating a hostile work environment with his discriminatory comments."

I think more "old folks" should practice saying that very thing!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

I think more "old folks" should practice saying that very thing!
I am planning to incorporate this. Though I probably won't get to use it in real life.

Thankfully none of my Millennial kids seem to have a particularly ageist mentality. What I see in real life, off the internet, is the typical "older generation/younger generation" angst. Nothing particularly scathing.

That's why when my husband told me about this younger worker's comments, I was like "Whoa - that's totally out of line - and probably illegal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies