Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 03:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My premiums are getting close to my mortgage payment.
Same here - it's ridiculous. And that doesn't count the deductibles, which are also ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 03:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Rachel, your $$ was taken from you and redistributed. Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy?
Right. Now that my 62 year old husband and I (with a hysterectomy) are "covered" for pediatric dentistry and maternity care, don't think we don't know that all we're doing is paying for someone else's coverage.

And of course I know that insurance works that way - and I wouldn't have such a problem with it if we weren't also paying exorbitant monthly premiums and deductibles that make our heads spin.

Unless we manage to max out our $6750 each deductibles, we pay $1100 a month in premiums PLUS 100 percent of everything, every single month. It just gets tiresome.

And I just figured out that when I back out property taxes and insurance, yes, my monthly premium is higher than my mortgage payment.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:07 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Like when walmart and other orgs sent water to new orleans in the aftermath of katrina, and did so ahead of and in spite of the DHS?
So it will be when the state completes its takeover of health care re: shortages, rationing, poor quality of service, cronyism, etc.
How long have you lived in the states? Examples of this are all around.
like insulin prices quadrupling in the past 10 years. Lots of the dead people needed your pep talk about the beauty of the profit driven American healthcare. Just because somehow you enjoy better and cheaper subsidized access, it does not mean lots of people have it worse than in the third world.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:11 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And of course I know that insurance works that way....
It doesn't work that way. If a Toyota Corolla is insured, it doesn't cover burled wood interior door finishes and headlight wipers.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Its no different than any other service. You've been bamboozled
From the article

"The medical industry exists almost entirely to serve people who have been rendered incapable of representing their own interests in an adversarial transaction. When I need health services I often need them in a way that is quite different from my desire for a good quality television or a fine automobile."

Market value of many sick people is negative zero to boot.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:49 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
like insulin prices quadrupling in the past 10 years. Lots of the dead people needed your pep talk about the beauty of the profit driven American healthcare. Just because somehow you enjoy better and cheaper subsidized access, it does not mean lots of people have it worse than in the third world.
not a free market example. Thanks to patents and the FDA the supply is limited. For a relative example of free markets go to a grocery store and marvel at the number of choices a consumer has for laundry detergent, salad dressing, cereals...
Or visit an electronics outlet and shop computers, phones, televisions
It should be no different w/drugs in the marketplace.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 02-01-2020 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-01-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
From the article

"The medical industry exists almost entirely to serve people who have been rendered incapable of representing their own interests in an adversarial transaction. When I need health services I often need them in a way that is quite different from my desire for a good quality television or a fine automobile."

Market value of many sick people is negative zero to boot.
People are rendered incapable or put at a disadvantage because again your govt has limited the supply of choices

Old 02-01-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
People are rendered incapable or put at a disadvantage because again your govt has limited the supply of choices
A sickness or an injury limits choices in the ways no government can. Abundance of choices of doctors does nothing to decrease prices, people do not get into health care biz to race to the bottom and provide affordable care, people get into biz to drive expensive cars and make $300+k/year regardless of supply and demands. And you cannot really shop around for care even if your health allows. It is all an expensive crapshoot. At the very best case you'll lose your money, not your health or life.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:11 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Same here - it's ridiculous. And that doesn't count the deductibles, which are also ridiculous.
When it comes to life, there are no capitalist incentives to lower prices.
Why would they lower prices.

Patient: How much will the operation cost?
Doctor: How much do you have in savings and assets?

Old 02-01-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
A sickness or an injury limits choices in the ways no government can. Abundance of choices of doctors does nothing to decrease prices, people do not get into health care biz to race to the bottom and provide affordable care, people get into biz to drive expensive cars and make $300+k/year regardless of supply and demands. And you cannot really shop around for care even if your health allows. It is all an expensive crapshoot. At the very best case you'll lose your money, not your health or life.
Doctors, nurses,x-ray techs, hospitals, clinics, etc. are not exempted from the laws of supply and demand.Its just a fact, or are you not a believer in science?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies