Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 10:44 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

being smart is a detriment in that district, MCC doesn't stand a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 10:46 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What if he did? And I am not sure that the demand for people with bachelors degrees in Economics from a mid-range university is exactly "large". The help wanted ads are not exactly overflowing with requests for people with this background.
In NYC, yes, there is in fact a pretty large demand for such fields, someone who went through college for a specific degree, and lives in a city known for employing of people with such a degree, yet does not have a job in the field utilizing the degree but works as a bar tender of all things, is pretty telling as I stated. Add to that this was not the 2008 economic crisis, but among the best economic times in recent history. And she was not one, two years out from college, but several years out.

If a person has an economics degree from a rather descent NE region university, NYC is the place to be to get a career going.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My husband was military - and I was having babies, so took what was convenient at the time until settled a little more. I have been laid off for restructuring and financial colapses like after 911, when they closed my branch after 10 yrs being the manager. I got what I could as fast as I could. I’m not too proud to work anywhere. This putting people in a box is ridiculous, open your mind a little.
Ok, so to compare, AOC was from the area, out of college, and was not married to a military person, nor having babies, nor had a career impacted by the financial crisis, nor any other comparison you made. She was fresh out of college, basically during the largest economic boom in recent US history, living in a city that is a mecca of opportunities for such an education background, yet she after several years of graduating, she was slinging it out as a bar tender.

I am not putting anyone in a box, you all are actually, by making straight up comparisons and not looking outside the box at all.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:55 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
What was the big deal about her bartending anyways? So she had a job before politics... big whoop...

Their classism and elitism is on display.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is getting a primary challenge from Michelle Caruso-Cabrera (MCC) a high profile Democrat female, who was formerly an anchor on CNBC. She is an enthusiastic supporter of free markets, so that will make for a clear contrast between the two women.

Will Democrats in a district like this support a woman who believes in free markets and limited government, even when they currently have a clown as their incumbent representative? It appears that we are getting ready to find out.
But why is she running as a Democrat? Because a Republican doesn't have a snowball's chance through hell of winning in that district?

Old 02-13-2020, 11:21 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,190 times
Big Money donors don't like her politics, I guess, so they get a liberal to run against a progressive . No surprises there.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:14 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
It appears that AOC has no less than 12 Democrat challengers in her primary, including the high profile Latina noted in the OP of this thread. And whoever wins that contest gets to face off against one of three Republicans, who have also registered to run.

Quote:
AOC calls for ‘turnout machine’ as 12 Dem rivals eye her House seat

No fewer than 12 Democrats have filed in the district to run against Ocasio-Cortez in the primary election on June 23, according to radio station WINS of New York City. In addition, at least three Republicans will vie for a chance to ultimately win the seat.

“Last election cycle, in the primary as we know, the turnout was quite low,” she told a small crowd in Corona, Queens. “This year, we want to multiply turnout by four times. That’s our goal. We want to secure 60,000 votes in the primary election. We need to start creating a turnout machine right now.”

Ocasio-Cortez is considered difficult to beat. In addition to national media attention, she also amassed more than $5.3 million in campaign funds by the end of 2019, according to OpenSecrets.org. But the progressive lawmaker has also irritated many Democrats – particularly by being openly hostile toward so-called “establishment” members of the party, the moderate incumbents who tend to drive party decisions, and backing more progressive colleagues and candidates like herself.
If she wants to increase the turnout in her district "4 times" and that goal is 60,000 votes, then that is not a lot of votes. She won the primary in 2018 with 15,000 votes?

This just shows how vulnerable she is as a candidate. This could be one and done for AOC. But she has money and all the free press coverage that she wants, so nobody should count her out just yet.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:27 AM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
It appears that AOC has no less than 12 Democrat challengers in her primary, including the high profile Latina noted in the OP of this thread. And whoever wins that contest gets to face off against one of three Republicans, who have also registered to run.

If she wants to increase the turnout in her district "4 times" and that goal is 60,000 votes, then that is not a lot of votes. She won the primary in 2018 with 15,000 votes?

This just shows how vulnerable she is as a candidate. This could be one and done for AOC. But she has money and all the free press coverage that she wants, so nobody should count her out just yet.
That silly little "Justice Democrats" stooge needs to get bounced. She is a plant supported by that group and doesn't care about her local district. I hope she gets tossed out, big time.

https://www.justicedemocrats.com/

Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
What if he did? And I am not sure that the demand for people with bachelors degrees in Economics from a mid-range university is exactly "large". The help wanted ads are not exactly overflowing with requests for people with this background.
But MCC graduated from Wellesley and look where it got her - not bartending. She was a stringer for the NY Times while in college and then a researcher at Univision. She continued to learn and work her way up.

I know many bartenders - and some can make a good living at it - but they wouldn't be running for office.

There are others who are also running against AOC so we'll just have to wait and see ho they appeal to the people. MCC looks to be the type of Democrat I may be able to support if I lived in the area.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
"fiscally conservative, socially liberal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies